ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   Must turn key several times to start car? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/522254-must-turn-key-several-times-to-start-car.html)

mleads 08-30-10 05:23 PM

Must turn key several times to start car?

I have searched thru old posts and can't seem to find this issue so I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I have a 2000 Lexus GS300 with 150K on it.

2months ago my car was giving me the following problems when trying to start. I would turn the key to the 2nd position, all guages, lights etc would work properly, but when I turned the key to actually start the car....all I would hear is a "CLICK" sound.... I would have to turn the key several times (each time hearing a "CLICK" sound) before the car would actually crank and start. I went to the mechanic and he tested it out said the alternaotr was fine but the battery was no good....so I replaced the battery. 2months go by (present day) and I am having the same problem, went to the mechanic he said the new battery that was put in is still good and can't figure out what the problem is?

any idea what the problem is? I cant find out where that "CLICK" sound is coming from and Im guesing a bad relay or some electrical connection?

thank you in advance

lexusben 08-30-10 05:57 PM

Clean MAF and Throttle Body. I used to start my car up and it would start up rough and then die and I would try to start it again and the clicking you described would happen. After I cleaned my TB and my MAF everything was better.

McKrevice 08-30-10 05:57 PM

Starter

/thread

mleads 08-30-10 06:02 PM

[ Im not sure how the TB would effect the electrical issuse of start up. When the car does actually start it runs extremely smooth.

mleads 08-30-10 06:02 PM

is there a specific reason why u believe its the starter?

RLGS300 08-30-10 06:09 PM

definitely starter, seen this before

skperformance 08-30-10 06:22 PM

bad battery leads to carbon deposits on the solenoid meaning it only gets worse as time goes on.
A strong battery coupled with a car that is not idled all the time since it will not get the battery to a higher than a voltage of 12vdc . Most common problem is people just idle the car and drain the battery without driving it again to get it back up. Also start by replacing ground wires as well.

Infamous 1 08-31-10 06:47 AM

Starter is going bad.

FrankT 08-31-10 07:05 AM

At 150k miles your starter contacts are done...

mleads 08-31-10 01:02 PM

you guys have been awesome. Now im going to look up instal insturctions for the starter. any suggestions on instal or even where and what type of starter to purchase?

DSM2GS400 08-31-10 01:49 PM

Just went through the same thing myself...
Problem lasted approx. 1 year before I had to bite the bullet and get it fixed...
BUT your starter my die before that...
It is your starter solenoid, not necc. the starter. BUT it worked out to be only about $150 extra to replace the entire unit.
I was able to live with this for a long time before it became an issue, not a big deal turning the key a couple of times...

The starter is sandwiched between the intake and the engine block. About 6 hours labour... + new intake gasket, etc... unless you are really good with this type of stuff probably best to let the shop handle it + you will get a warranty :)

FrankT 08-31-10 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mleads (Post 5754614)
you guys have been awesome. Now im going to look up instal insturctions for the starter. any suggestions on instal or even where and what type of starter to purchase?

1999 Lexus GS 400 Starting Problems

This thread, has good info about the starter removal, rebuilding and replacing.
As well as cost of what some folks have paid to have it done.

Tank 09-01-10 08:56 AM

Just be glad that the starter is not under the intake manifold like the GS4..lol pain in the a$$..