GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt

Old 09-09-10, 10:55 AM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
I haven't tackled this job, so I gots no idea how much space you're working with. But when a bolt is stuck, I usually try to go brains over brawn. Any chance you can fit a thin pipe over the end of your box wrench? Even 8 inches of pipe slipped over the end of a wrench should extend it far enough to get alot of extra torque on it.
I wasn't able to fit any extension or pipe in there but last night I got some new schort arm and flex arm rachets, which might help. I will try again this weekend.
Old 09-09-10, 11:59 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking about buying some motor mounts from pembroke pines, but does it make a difference if they are OEM ?
Sorry to be kinda off topic here
Old 09-09-10, 12:56 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kosi718
I'm thinking about buying some motor mounts from pembroke pines, but does it make a difference if they are OEM ?
Sorry to be kinda off topic here
I bought 2 front motor mounts from RockAuto for roughly $140 shipped. I believe Lexus charges about $100 for one. The ones I got came in in BeckArnley boxes by they have MTC stickers on them. They look very solid. I wasn't willing to spend so much more for OEM. To me that's just rubber ...but again that's just me....

Here is the link with the picture:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1999186
Old 09-09-10, 02:05 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by krispl
I bought 2 front motor mounts from RockAuto for roughly $140 shipped. I believe Lexus charges about $100 for one. The ones I got came in in BeckArnley boxes by they have MTC stickers on them. They look very solid. I wasn't willing to spend so much more for OEM. To me that's just rubber ...but again that's just me....

Here is the link with the picture:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1999186
close...per the quote Darell at sewell sent me.

OEM Engine Mounts
Part #: 1236150111 $91.21 each $182.42 for both

OEM Tranny Mount
Part #: 1237150200 $60.80

i will be buying the OEM ones....im thinking just for a personal preference
Old 09-09-10, 03:22 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sakataj has a point, and plus isn't there some sort of fluid in the motor mounts?
I feel more content knowing that I've ordered an OEM set of mounts
Old 09-09-10, 05:56 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kosi718
Sakataj has a point, and plus isn't there some sort of fluid in the motor mounts?
I feel more content knowing that I've ordered an OEM set of mounts
I'm not sure if there is fluid in them. I've seen photos of broken ones and they look all rubber.
Old 09-09-10, 06:23 PM
harman
Driver

They should all (oem and aftermarket) have fluid inside the engine mount. its a viscous hydraulic oil that reduces vibration giving us that smooth ride.
by the way Krispl i too like to work on my own car and would only take it to a dealer after all other options have been exhausted. Am hoping you are able to do this job (with pics pls) and could offer guidance on it
Old 09-09-10, 07:16 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Did u try torching those bad boys up?? Get em cherry red?
Old 09-11-10, 09:25 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLAZE
Did u try torching those bad boys up?? Get em cherry red?
Not enough room to go there with torch too many wires close by and etc. I could burn ****

Anyhow today after doing bushings and oil level sender on my girlfriend's 02 BMW 325i, which I always ***** about, complain about access to everything in it's engine bay and etc. I went ahead and jacked my GS430 up.

I got a new short arm and flexible arm ratchet. No luck either I couldn't get there. I'm giving up This is my first project I have to give up on. I will call a local lexus/toyota shop to get a quote but most likely I will just put it off. I was gonna do this as a preventive maintenance but at this point i don't care. I'm surprised that Lexus didn't design this motor mounting a bit easier to access.
Old 09-11-10, 11:10 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where in california are you?

HI,
I have a 99 GS400 and the mounts were not that hard. I found the passenger side was harder than the driver side. I tried on 2 different times to get it out, until I finally figured it out.

You need to support the engine and transmission assembly with a transmission jack. The whole car is lifted up, and then the front of the engine is supported by a tall front jack near the harmonic balancer, and another tall transmission jack is placed under the transmission. When the lower bolts on the engine are removed on the mounts, and the transmission mount is loosened, everything is lowered down so you can access the upper nut. It is a balancing act.

I had to remove the 4 bolts holding the assembly to the block on the passenger side of the engine. I took it apart when it came out, and reinstalled the mount on the bracket prior to installing it on the engine.

I am in San Diego, but would travel a bit to help you out, or you could drive down to San Diego and use our hobby shop to change it all out. I am retired military, so I have access to all of the tools I need to do this job as good as the "stealership". PM me and we will see what we can do. It can't be that much different than the GS400.

By the way, I did mine 3 years ago, and there has been no further problems. Both mounts are fluid filled, and when they break, the oil runs out everywhere. I used factory Lexus parts, but aftermarket parts should be good.

Last edited by gserep1; 09-11-10 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 05:01 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gserep1
HI,
I have a 99 GS400 and the mounts were not that hard. I found the passenger side was harder than the driver side. I tried on 2 different times to get it out, until I finally figured it out.

You need to support the engine and transmission assembly with a transmission jack. The whole car is lifted up, and then the front of the engine is supported by a tall front jack near the harmonic balancer, and another tall transmission jack is placed under the transmission. When the lower bolts on the engine are removed on the mounts, and the transmission mount is loosened, everything is lowered down so you can access the upper nut. It is a balancing act.

I had to remove the 4 bolts holding the assembly to the block on the passenger side of the engine. I took it apart when it came out, and reinstalled the mount on the bracket prior to installing it on the engine.

I am in San Diego, but would travel a bit to help you out, or you could drive down to San Diego and use our hobby shop to change it all out. I am retired military, so I have access to all of the tools I need to do this job as good as the "stealership". PM me and we will see what we can do. It can't be that much different than the GS400.

By the way, I did mine 3 years ago, and there has been no further problems. Both mounts are fluid filled, and when they break, the oil runs out everywhere. I used factory Lexus parts, but aftermarket parts should be good.
Thank you for all your valuable info and help. I wish I was closer I'm in Bay Area, 40 min from San Francisco.
Old 09-14-10, 09:52 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gserep1

Hi GSerep1,

Where is the harmonic balancer? Can i do it with just 2 floor jacks? one on the transmission and the other on the engine near the harmonic balancer? After removing the bolts, do I lowering the jack on the engine to access the upper bolts/nuts? Thanks.

Hugo
Old 09-28-10, 03:57 PM
dl11
Driver

Did you guys see this thread? It looks so easy...but we all know how that will turn out for us

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html
Old 09-28-10, 10:05 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to drop the crossmember to get access to those nuts on top of the mounts. Once you drop the crossmember a few inches, you'll see the nuts. You can see the nut in the center of the picture below.

Of course getting to them is a whole separate issue. You need either a box end wrench with some funky bends in it, or make your own, or do what I did - sacrificed a box end wrench by cutting off the open end, and slipping a tube over the handle. Worked like a charm.

But it is no fun, it took me an hour or two screwing around with that nut before I got it off. The other side was no problem, once I got the hang of it. But you have to drop the corssmember, and lift the motor, as others have said.

Last edited by lyonkster; 09-28-10 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 11:32 PM
krispl
Pole Position

These are very helpful pics! Thank you lyonkster!!! I haven't lowered the crossmember before. I was just trying to get them out without having to mess with crossmember! You just gave me an inspiration!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt