GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

$$$ checking out a 2000 blk on blk gs4$$$ any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 11:51 AM
bosshognit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $$$ checking out a 2000 blk on blk gs4$$$ any ideas?

Hey guys..

So I'll be checking out this blk on blk gs 4.. It's a 2000 and it has about 120k clean title and it's for 9500.. I'm on break so I'm writing this quick.. What do you guys think about the car, what should I offer what do you guys think about it as well.... Please comment away... I'm checking out the car in 6 hrs... This is the link

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...standard=false
Old 07-17-10, 12:14 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

too expensive
Old 07-17-10, 12:21 PM
sn21983
Driver School Candidate

7500-8000 should be a fair price for that car assuming its in clean condition.
Old 07-19-10, 08:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

so how did it go?
Old 07-21-10, 10:19 PM
bosshognit
Driver School Candidate

sorry Guys Ive been away.. ok

***UPDATE*** All i have to say is wow
So As I pull up to the dealer.. (which i couldnt even find) So as I Roll up and park I walk to to car.. the 1st thing I see is the bumper has been run into a pole or something.. the right hand side the paint was chipping..make my way to the driver side and there is a couple of dents etc... so I open the door and see a huge cig burn on the Seat whatever..
***Now for the Test Ride***
So I take it for a test drive which was pretty fun.. it picks up quick.. could use a little more torgue.. the brakes could have been better but this is a used car right.. So the test drive was about for 5-7mins and only punched it maybe 2-3 times I think two times but whatever.. so as im turning around and i look at the gauge and I see the FREAKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON!!!!! i was like are you kidding me!! So i roll back into the dealership park the car... stand about 7 feet away from the car.. looks so good blk on blk! damn!! So I'm talking to the salesman.... and I bring up that the check engine light comes on.. and he goes "oh it could be anything?? a sensor or anything bro" then he goes well to tell you the truth bro, we havent had time to take it to the mechanic.. .. then I reply ok then why did you post this up on autotrader and craiglist then.. he didnt have a answer back.. so we go to the price.. i said that i wanted it for 7500-8000 no way im going to pay 9500 for this.... so The salesman is not wanting to go lower.. then he is telling me that no one is TradingNthere cars and everyone is keeping them so its hard for them to get good deals? SURE BUDDY!! so then to wrap it up I ask for the Car Fax.. and he goes he doesnthaveit bro, it cost to much for us.. So im like wait wait you dont have a car fax, so i dont know if its a clean title or how many owners has had the car.. the check engine light is coming on and the paint is chipping off and your wanting to go lower on the price bro... then as I start to walk away.. the Guy gives me his number on paper.. THEY DIDNT HAVE A BUSINESS CARD!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! SO IT WAS A no go!!! so pissed cuz it looked clean but wasnt worth it!!!!! at least show me the Car Fax!!!!

So Question whats do you guys think about the Check engine light coming on??? what do you guys think it could have been?? anything big? i really want that car but for a cheaper price like 7500!
Old 07-21-10, 10:23 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

If it picked up speed nicely and didn't make any weird noises... Probably just an o2 sensor.
Old 07-21-10, 11:11 PM
bosshognit
Driver School Candidate

ohhhhh really?????
Old 07-22-10, 07:15 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, most likely lol.

It could be anything though. You'll never know without getting codes from the OBII unless there's a dramatic change in performance or if the car is making unusual noises. These cars run very quietly in stock form. You should know right off the bat if the car is making an irregular noise because these cars are nearly silent when running.
Old 07-22-10, 08:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshognit
sorry Guys Ive been away.. ok

***UPDATE*** All i have to say is wow
So As I pull up to the dealer.. (which i couldnt even find) So as I Roll up and park I walk to to car.. the 1st thing I see is the bumper has been run into a pole or something.. the right hand side the paint was chipping..make my way to the driver side and there is a couple of dents etc... so I open the door and see a huge cig burn on the Seat whatever..
***Now for the Test Ride***
So I take it for a test drive which was pretty fun.. it picks up quick.. could use a little more torgue.. the brakes could have been better but this is a used car right.. So the test drive was about for 5-7mins and only punched it maybe 2-3 times I think two times but whatever.. so as im turning around and i look at the gauge and I see the FREAKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON!!!!! i was like are you kidding me!! So i roll back into the dealership park the car... stand about 7 feet away from the car.. looks so good blk on blk! damn!! So I'm talking to the salesman.... and I bring up that the check engine light comes on.. and he goes "oh it could be anything?? a sensor or anything bro" then he goes well to tell you the truth bro, we havent had time to take it to the mechanic.. .. then I reply ok then why did you post this up on autotrader and craiglist then.. he didnt have a answer back.. so we go to the price.. i said that i wanted it for 7500-8000 no way im going to pay 9500 for this.... so The salesman is not wanting to go lower.. then he is telling me that no one is TradingNthere cars and everyone is keeping them so its hard for them to get good deals? SURE BUDDY!! so then to wrap it up I ask for the Car Fax.. and he goes he doesnthaveit bro, it cost to much for us.. So im like wait wait you dont have a car fax, so i dont know if its a clean title or how many owners has had the car.. the check engine light is coming on and the paint is chipping off and your wanting to go lower on the price bro... then as I start to walk away.. the Guy gives me his number on paper.. THEY DIDNT HAVE A BUSINESS CARD!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! SO IT WAS A no go!!! so pissed cuz it looked clean but wasnt worth it!!!!! at least show me the Car Fax!!!!

So Question whats do you guys think about the Check engine light coming on??? what do you guys think it could have been?? anything big? i really want that car but for a cheaper price like 7500!
WALK AWAY........

Originally Posted by shvc1991
If it picked up speed nicely and didn't make any weird noises... Probably just an o2 sensor.
your assuming

Originally Posted by bosshognit
ohhhhh really?????
take it to a real mechanic or the lexus dealer and have them look at it

Originally Posted by shvc1991
Yeah, most likely lol.

It could be anything though. You'll never know without getting codes from the OBII unless there's a dramatic change in performance or if the car is making unusual noises. These cars run very quietly in stock form. You should know right off the bat if the car is making an irregular noise because these cars are nearly silent when running.
again your assuming, that code could be ANYTHING. something small to something major. get the code checked if your interested and then proceed but by your description this is one of those fly by night car lots so i would walk away. just my $0.02
Old 07-22-10, 10:03 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno why but all those north hollywood cars are usually crap
they have cars that should have been salvaged and sometimes accidents dont even show up on carfax.
I would use autocheck by the way.
I think you are better off trying to find a car from a private party those cheaper prices reflect issues with the cars id check for all the vin numbers and stuff too
I dunno if they have some garbage auction out there but my experience when checking out cars from those dealers in north hollywood has been just bad the prices always are good but the cars are bad
Old 07-22-10, 04:58 PM
fastryan
Driver

yep carfax is kind of a ... i dunno. i do know that if a car is wrecked and it doesn't go through insurance, it wont go on a car fax. keep looking. i had to look at about 10 before i found one that was what i REALLY wanted. If you have to talk yourself into thinking its a good deal, it probably isn't. don't shop by yourself. take somebody with you that will tell you to walk if it doesn't seem right. small dealers are the shadiest. i had much better luck waiting and searching craigs.
Old 07-22-10, 05:29 PM
joeandchar
Driver School Candidate

FWIW, run away from this one. Seems way too shady. For that money I would think you could find a better one. Paint chipping? Sounds like bad body work. CEL? Who knows? That may be the only thing the told you that was honest..."it could be anything".
Old 07-22-10, 06:34 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i mean its a dealership without a code reader?? everyone has a code reader they probably know what it is but dont want to fix it
it could be simple 02 or really anything bad maf or who knows you gotta get the code read.
I would also stay away from it. even if it was 7500 way too shady
you check if all the vins are in place?
Old 07-23-10, 12:14 AM
bosshognit
Driver School Candidate

yeah i know in NOHo there shady as ****! i didnt check all the Vins but im staying away from noho dealers
Old 07-30-10, 10:20 PM
VIPTONY
Pole Position

well to help you out with what price you should be looking at. I just purchased a 2000 GS300 (3 weeks ago) Platinum edition with factory navigation, heated seats (black on black), factory HID's and a rear spoiler for $6700 with 139k miles.