GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just got my FIGS Heatshield!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 12:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Sakataj, you remind me of Madden...he says the most obvious things on the game....lol
hahaha....nice....although i used to hate playing that game just for that stupid fat guy and his comments,were you trying to say something?

although if it gets me maddens $$$ im game
Old 07-30-10, 12:33 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No..I was just saying the "only if they not carb certified" comment. reminded me of the

"The team with the most points, usually wins the game" comment Madden does.
Old 07-30-10, 11:02 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I will also add that unlike any other heatshield out there, it is a functional thermo system...meaning it is not subject to heatsoak. It uses the moving air from the radiator to carry hot air off the shield and down and out of the engine bay...not trap it underneath itself. The main purpose of a shield is to block the IR emissions from hitting the intake tubing and increasing intake temps. This shield will never get too hot since the air is moving over it. So:
-Blocks IR emission from header to intake.
-Self cools through air conduction and evacuation.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-02-10, 09:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
No..I was just saying the "only if they not carb certified" comment. reminded me of the

"The team with the most points, usually wins the game" comment Madden does.
hahaha i rememeber that one....i looked on youtube for the video but couldnt find it

Originally Posted by FIGS
I will also add that unlike any other heatshield out there, it is a functional thermo system...meaning it is not subject to heatsoak. It uses the moving air from the radiator to carry hot air off the shield and down and out of the engine bay...not trap it underneath itself. The main purpose of a shield is to block the IR emissions from hitting the intake tubing and increasing intake temps. This shield will never get too hot since the air is moving over it. So:
Old 11-22-13, 06:56 PM
tn96dc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a before and after in engine compartment temperature with the shield?
Old 11-22-13, 09:43 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by tn96dc
Anyone have a before and after in engine compartment temperature with the shield?
The only think I can offer is, with heatshield you can touch your intake, without you cannot. Its been a while since I had an NA car to gather more data but its significant. I do have an NA IS300 in the shop right now that I might be able to grab some IR readings from at the intake tubing.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 11-23-13, 05:24 AM
tn96dc
Pole Position

As I'm parked, I waited for the temperature to reach operating temp. Once the cooling fan kicked on the idle would drop and it would feel like it was misfiring. I opened the hood to inspect, I noticed that when the cooling fan came on with the hood open that the idle would stay normal. I then lowered my hood and waited for the coolant to cycle again to turn on the fan. Sure enough it idled rough when the fan came on. I found out my motor was running rough with the hood closed due to heatsoak. Extra heat is possibly coming from my obx header and the heat is circulated & being sucked in through the scoop. Will the heat shield help my issue?
Old 11-23-13, 05:51 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a great addition. I am almost positive the extreme heat generated under the hood is frying the TCM harness that is right above the manifold. does this come with hardware to attach to the aluminum block? Is there a hole already there for it? Is there enough slack in that O2 sensor to fit the shield under it or did you have to remove it and reinstall?
Old 11-23-13, 08:07 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

niceee man wonder if they made it for the 430
Old 11-23-13, 08:54 AM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

niceee man wonder if they made it for the 430
Well, on the 430 the intake tube doesn't go right over the exhaust manifold like it does on a GS300
Old 11-23-13, 12:01 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

looks clean bruh!
Old 11-24-13, 09:12 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by burny
This is a great addition. I am almost positive the extreme heat generated under the hood is frying the TCM harness that is right above the manifold. does this come with hardware to attach to the aluminum block? Is there a hole already there for it? Is there enough slack in that O2 sensor to fit the shield under it or did you have to remove it and reinstall?
yes it should be dramatic at rest but really shine when the car is moving due to the overall flow of air away from the intake.
Originally Posted by tn96dc
As I'm parked, I waited for the temperature to reach operating temp. Once the cooling fan kicked on the idle would drop and it would feel like it was misfiring. I opened the hood to inspect, I noticed that when the cooling fan came on with the hood open that the idle would stay normal. I then lowered my hood and waited for the coolant to cycle again to turn on the fan. Sure enough it idled rough when the fan came on. I found out my motor was running rough with the hood closed due to heatsoak. Extra heat is possibly coming from my obx header and the heat is circulated & being sucked in through the scoop. Will the heat shield help my issue?
this is precisely what its for and the mounting is simple. the head already has a threaded hole which we provide a bolt for and the rear uses the coolant hose clamp mount and a slotted hole on the heatsheild to mount.
Old 02-16-17, 03:55 PM
SylvesterM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FIGS
Do you have polished aluminum?
Old 02-17-17, 08:14 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by SylvesterM
Do you have polished aluminum?
Sorry but we do not, but you are work then welcome to polish it after the fact. Polishing is a labor intensive process and we do not have the equipment to do it cost effectively.
Mike
Old 02-17-17, 08:49 AM
FIGS
The Maker

current version BTW. With and without cerakote finish.