GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taco'd my front fender. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 01:18 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Taco'd my front fender. Suggestions?

So I was backing my car up this morning so my gf's parents could go to church. As I back out, then pull back into the driveway, a car was speeding and coming up behind me pretty fast and not slowing down. He was going to do one of those idiotic last minute swerves to scare me (like all the other idiots on this street do). I look forward at the slight left bend on the narrow street and an incoming car was going pretty fast too. Not wanting to get into a collision, I go up the driveway pretty fast while turning. I know you're not supposed to turn while going up driveways because of the weight that is one side. It was a quick reaction and what happened next made me cringe. In 4 years of owning this car while at this ride height with 4 different sets of wheels, today was the day.

So I go to roll it back into place with a bat because I'm in a hurry. My heat gun was at my house and we were late to a friend's BBQ. Now my paint is chipped, the fender is a bit wavy, and the fender flared outwards a bit from being taco'd.

What should I do? My friend has an Eastwood roller that I plan on using but he thinks it'll just make the fender even more wavier and maybe flare out the fender even more. This is only on one side mind you. The other looks perfectly fine. One fender is sort of flared and one looks untouched. Should I leave it be? He suggested removing the fender, placing it flat on top of cardboard on the ground, then using a rubber mallet to try and flatten and pinch the inside edge as much as possible to the outer edge, and while doing so, this may help flatten out some of the waviness.

Is this easier said than done? I plan on removing the plastic wheelwell liners too. Is it easy to remove the fenders? How long would that take to remove and re-install?

I really don't want to buy a new fender and get it sprayed. This would be my last option. Please help! It's bugging the crap out of me every time I have to look at it.
Old 07-05-10, 01:22 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did that before..just take the wheel off and take a rubber mallet and hammer it back in gently or flat. its not hard

* edit i just read your fender is wavely. i dont know how you fix that but just try to hammer it back in and then just use touch up paint to cover the chips
Old 07-05-10, 01:25 AM
gzhottt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look to bad...go old school on it ..take the tire off and bang it into place. Or spend a couple hundred take it to body shop.
Old 07-05-10, 01:28 AM
sleeper408

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Yeah we talked about this at the BBQ. He also entertained what you guys suggested. He said I could hammer away with a mallet while he tries to apply steady pressure on the other side to keep it from flaring out even more. Arghhhhh! It's the waviness that is making it more challenging to fix.
Old 07-05-10, 08:43 AM
1SWTGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happen to me.I stuck a screwdriver between the tire and fender and bend it back in place.added Wheel Well Molding after that. http://www.vinylgraphics.net/shopexd.asp?id=5786 they should have you color.I think it look pretty good with the moldings.
Old 07-05-10, 09:00 AM
sleeper408

1SWTGS: That does look pretty good. I like it on your black, but I'm wondering if it'll stand out as much on Alpine Silver. It will cover where the paint is chipped and cracked though.

Also, what does everyone think of using a C-clamp to try and flatten the inside metal lip? I'm also trying to bend the fender back in a bit because it flared out. Do you think a C-clamp might work?
Old 07-05-10, 11:00 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

This happened on both of my fenders. I used a bat and some pliers wrapped in electrical tape to fix it. To get them perfect I had them smoothed out, rolled, and resprayed at a body shop.
Old 07-05-10, 11:16 AM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by chrispy
This happened on both of my fenders. I used a bat and some pliers wrapped in electrical tape to fix it. To get them perfect I had them smoothed out, rolled, and resprayed at a body shop.
Aww man. I was excited until reading the last part. I really don't want to get it resprayed. The electrical tape thing is a good idea to avoid teeth marks from the pliers. Do you think my C-clamp idea should work? I would probably have to work the areas a little at a time. I don't need it back to perfect, just bearable to look at. Also, I'm sure you removed your plastic wheelwell liners because you're so low. This shouldn't affect anything, specifically when it rains? It doesn't leave anything exposed to the elements right?
Old 07-05-10, 11:22 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I wouldn't use a c-clamp because you might damage the paint on the outside of the fender. Grab the part that flipped inside out with the pliers and pull it back inside. If you have a bat or a fender roller you can get it looking decent again. I still have my fender liners but they're full of holes.
Old 07-05-10, 01:17 PM
sleeper408

I was thinking of c-clamp plus electrical tape for the part that will touch the outside fender. I've already used a bat but it's not as pinched as I would like. I'm paranoid if it's not as pinched as much, I will taco it again.
Old 07-05-10, 07:25 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for screwdriver using the tire as leverage and bending it back. Just becareful not to crack the paint...
Old 07-05-10, 08:30 PM
VaLristo
Driver School Candidate

that happen to me too and mines was worse....but i just bought a new one which cost me about $350 at the dealer
Old 07-05-10, 08:31 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I painted my car, I cut the lip off - only about 1/8" of the lip remains. Can't pull the lip down if it's not there!

Also, you can "pull" the front fenders a little to gain additional clearance. A friend of mine and I pulled the front fenders out nearly 1/4" by hand. Just grab the radiused portion (wheel opening) and pull slowly and carefully. It will take a few tries to get them to move that far.
Old 07-05-10, 08:47 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

happened to me too. u should get the eastwood fender finisher. that would work great on it.
what i did was use a hammer and hammer it back in. first i heat it up, bend it back with some pliers(over some cloth of course) and then hammer the rest up. looks OEM.
nah the paint chipped a bit......
Old 07-05-10, 10:09 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5t341th
looks OEM.

nah the paint chipped a bit......
lol......

id roll it i guess, but wth do i know. Hasnt happend to me, YET.

Quick Reply: Taco'd my front fender. Suggestions?