GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacing Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 11:18 AM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Windshield

My wife was driving home from work yesterday and noticed a huge crack in the windshield. It's about 8 inches long so I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced. I called our local Toyota dealer hoping they could do it cheaper than a Lexus daler. Sadly, they referred me to the Lexus dealer that is about 45 minutes away and they wanted about 1800 to do the whole thing, not gonna happen.
I called Safelite Auto Glass repair and they gave me a quote for 225 + tax for the whole shebang.

Is Safelight glass reputable? I didn't ask for what brand of glass they use, I don't know the slightest bit about whindshields so feel free to educate me on this. Are there any other brands/companies to go for or is it a matter of calling all the local shops? I live near St. Louis if anyone has any personal recommendations.
Old 06-04-10, 11:35 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by matt21484
My wife was driving home from work yesterday and noticed a huge crack in the windshield. It's about 8 inches long so I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced. I called our local Toyota dealer hoping they could do it cheaper than a Lexus daler. Sadly, they referred me to the Lexus dealer that is about 45 minutes away and they wanted about 1800 to do the whole thing, not gonna happen.
I called Safelite Auto Glass repair and they gave me a quote for 225 + tax for the whole shebang.

Is Safelight glass reputable? I didn't ask for what brand of glass they use, I don't know the slightest bit about whindshields so feel free to educate me on this. Are there any other brands/companies to go for or is it a matter of calling all the local shops? I live near St. Louis if anyone has any personal recommendations.
let me share you SEVERAL horror stories bout el cheapo glass (or really just bad installers)

read this link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ible-leak.html

no, im not saying you have to use OEM glass but if i ever replace mine again, i probably will. thats y i have insurance
Old 06-04-10, 11:55 AM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip. I just called my insurance co (Allstate) and with my $250 deductable, I can have the dealer do it for the price of my deductable and Allstate covers the rest with no adverse effects to my record.
BTW, it's about 230 for Safelite and 303 for another local glass shop in my area.
Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a no brainer to have the dealer do this?
Old 06-04-10, 01:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I just called my insurance co (Allstate) and with my $250 deductable, I can have the dealer do it for the price of my deductable and Allstate covers the rest with no adverse effects to my record.
BTW, it's about 230 for Safelite and 303 for another local glass shop in my area.
Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a no brainer to have the dealer do this?
well then make sure its OEM glass....should say lexus in the bottom right corner i believe. yeah for the deductible and no side effects thats a great deal
Old 06-04-10, 01:18 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I pay $120 installed! Black tint on it and everything. Both my cars have it. Lex has had it for over a year, no problems, no leaks no anything
Old 06-05-10, 07:53 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't have a problem with Safelite. I had mine replaced a couple years ago. The independent shop installed a PPG windshield for about the same as you are being quoted. I got a discount through my employer.
Old 06-05-10, 09:12 AM
dealer374
Driver

How are people paying for windshields, Doesn't your insurance cover it for free? I'm on #2 now with no leaks etc. Altough there is a small chip above my inspection sticker and its lloks kinda shabby form all the highway driving. I think Im getting take a rock to it and get a new one. No i dont have to clean this one hahaa
Old 06-05-10, 09:16 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been working in autobody repair for about 5 years now and I can tell you there is no difference between OEM weindshields and aftermarket aside from the "Lexus" logo in the corner. All windshields sold in auto glass shops are all "DOT" and "JIS" and "E" code approved (which you will see in the lower left hand corner. By law and auto glass manufacturer must meet these requirements in order to produce the windshield. If the windshield has a air or water leak it is due to poor installation which should be warranted by the auto glass shop and should be fixed at no extra charge. Don't waste your money at the dealership. The only difference may be the tint color, thats about it.

Hope that answered your questions. Good luck
Old 06-05-10, 10:14 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had Safelite do 4 windshields on various cars through my insurance with mixed results. If they come to your car to fix, hope they bring the correct trim pieces and that they don't bend any they reuse. If you bring the car to their shop, all the parts should be there. I had a Camry windshield replaced twice by them. The second time I was at the car for most of the install. When I asked if the rust along the A-pillars was normal, the installer told me it was due to a faulty windshield install.
Some dealers sub out their windshield work. Ask them if they do what brand winshield you will get.
Old 06-05-10, 12:39 PM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the info. The dealer does sub out the work to a local auto glass shop whom I have contacted. I did confirm with my insurance that I have to pay up to my deductible which is 250 and they will cover the rest. It's $25 more than Safelite so $250 after tax. I don't think it's a bad deal. They will probably come and replace the glass in my work parking lot. I doubt this will all be worth the hassle, but I'd rather not call everybody back up a 3rd time. Oh well, thanks for the info, next time I'll just stick with safelite I guess
Old 06-05-10, 12:40 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dealer374
How are people paying for windshields, Doesn't your insurance cover it for free? I'm on #2 now with no leaks etc. Altough there is a small chip above my inspection sticker and its lloks kinda shabby form all the highway driving. I think Im getting take a rock to it and get a new one. No i dont have to clean this one hahaa
Let's see....
2 reasons.
First I replaced the windshield because it was sand pitted, not cracked.
Second, my insurance would cover a broken windshield minus my $1k deductible.
Old 06-05-10, 04:25 PM
otis_jzs
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was a gs windsheild done in my driveway today lol not mine but a friend of mines only coast 150$
Old 06-05-10, 06:10 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GETU1
there was a gs windsheild done in my driveway today lol not mine but a friend of mines only coast 150$
yup me too... No need to pay so much that you gotta finance! LoL
Old 06-05-10, 08:00 PM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

where the hell are you finding places to do it for $150??? I called several local shops and they are all $200 +
Old 06-06-10, 09:34 AM
dealer374
Driver

Originally Posted by Gunnut
Let's see....
2 reasons.
First I replaced the windshield because it was sand pitted, not cracked.
Second, my insurance would cover a broken windshield minus my $1k deductible.
Well why doesnt your insurance cover broken windshields for free? You do have comprehansive don't you? I think its ridiculous to pay a deductible for a windshield. I can get free windshield everytime its gets sand pitted just hit it with a hammer and say a highway rock did it. Im getting ready to do that now

Quick Reply: Replacing Windshield