GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 05:25 PM
MzD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone on here near Washington County in Wisconsin? I've replaced my thermostat and had work done on heater core, still no heat... I recall hearing a buzz click type of grind from the control panel/middle/passenger vents but never knew it would lead to No Heat ��
Please let me know if u r available anywhere near Washington, Milwaukee, or Ozaukee counties and how much you'll charge me. It's getting cold outside... Thank You.

Last edited by MzD; 11-08-15 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 04:03 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just replaced all 3 servos with new units, and still hot air when at 65 and even hotter when raised to the 85 setting.

I'm thinking I have a compressor issue, however it turns off/on when the a/c is engaged so it seems to be working correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 01-12-16, 09:34 PM
Miguelrey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ElitistK
ORLY? i fixed mine this way and it's been working ever since. in fact i believe we got into a discussion since you did not believe me.

the electric motor isn't really on too much load so it shouldn't go bad just like. In fact, you don't even need to take it apart to adjust the arm. if you need to re-adjust the position of the arm, you can take a 9 volt battery to it and it will move the motor. do not try to move the arm with your hand because the gearing prevents you from doing so, and you will snap the internals if you force it.

p.s. i even snapped the internals and glued them back with super glue and it's still working!
I was trying to fix mine today. I spent 5+ hours trying to fit it back but i moved the gears and i really dont know how they go. I tried looking online and my repair manual sucks so ow my car is without dash .any help would be great

Old 01-19-16, 08:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Miguelrey
I was trying to fix mine today. I spent 5+ hours trying to fit it back but i moved the gears and i really dont know how they go. I tried looking online and my repair manual sucks so ow my car is without dash .any help would be great
ummmmm why did you remove the whole assembly panel insdtead of just the servos?
Old 02-02-16, 05:34 AM
1aristo
Driver School Candidate

Can you guys tell me if the arm is supposed to go all the way to the end of the slot for the temp servos when the temp is turned all the way down to the coldest?

My Right side (driver side as its a JDM Aristo) is not blowing as cold as the left, and when i raise and lower the temp controls both servos move seemingly normal but both do not travel to the end of the slot when going to the fully cold side.
As a matter of fact the left side which is blowing colder even moves less to the end of the slot when turning down the temp and the servo moves to the cold side as shown below
[Continuing down the slot in the pic would be the coldest position]
DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-dsc_1688.jpg

The Right side which is not as cold is pictured below
[Continuing up the slot in the pic would be the coldest position]
DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors-dsc_1686.jpg

I personally do not think the servo is the problem but I would like your opinion as the problem side (right/driver) seems very hard to get to as the foot brake assembly is up against the temp servo and dont want to go digging unnecessarily.

Ive read here that low freon can also cause these symptoms, but again will like to confirm where the arms should be before I go investigate that part.
Old 02-05-16, 04:55 AM
1aristo
Driver School Candidate

Come on guys...I know alot of you have serviced your servos. Someone must have remembered if the arm moves all the way to the end of the slot??
Or maybe some body could just take a peep of there own and see?
Thanks.
Old 02-02-17, 09:02 AM
donn29
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a GS400 with the driver blend door servomotor not working. It wasn't moving at all and wasn't making any noise. I thought I'd have to replace it so I took it apart and tested the motor since it wasn't moving at all. Hooked it up to a 12v supply with ammeter and it was pulling 2-5amps and was stuck. If I spun the motor by hand it would start working, but it would have trouble starting again if it was turned off or if a stalled it with my fingers. I ended up just letting it run for a few minutes while putting a load on it with my fingers and eventually it started working fine again. Ended up pulling just 0.025 amps free running the motor in both directions. I guess the brushes must have gotten crap built up on them from jogging back and forth from a dirty pot. I cleaned the gunk off the potentiometer slides and seems to be working fine again! Still have to look at my solar sensors I guess, but it seems my servomotor for the vent control is stuck. Passenger side next!

Pic of the codes I have from my buddies commercial scanner that can read BCM codes.
http://imgur.com/0Q4yppX
Old 02-03-17, 04:23 PM
ronjenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2004 es330

2004 ES330
My wife had the crackling sound behind the dashboard and I found a thread to repair the servo. I successfully did and the crackling was gone!!
The next day my wife told me that one off the middle vents on the passenger side is suddenly blowing hot when a/c is on and the others are ice cold.
I know this has something to do with the servo. I guess I should take it off again and check? I already broke one of the very fragile little clips!!

Any ideas? Should I take it out and clean it?

Thanks

Ron
Old 11-18-18, 07:18 AM
EJavierM
Driver School Candidate

Default Electrical motor

Did anyone ever think of changing the electrical motor itself? They do go bad after all the work they do, and I'm pretty sure the motors should only be a few dollars. If so, does anyone know what the specs are and where to buy one.
Old 11-19-18, 05:17 AM
donn29
Driver School Candidate

I did, I used a motor from a super cheap bread trimmer that ran off a 3 AAs. Motor looked the same, and it worked for 2 years and now the car is retired. Two of the motors I was able to save buy cleaning the little contacts/brushes up and letting them run for a few minutes . The 4th I couldn't save so I ziptied the recirculation vent in the fresh air position.
Old 11-24-18, 11:47 AM
stewaji
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Update - GS430 Servo Repair

Let me just say that this is an awesome forum. Repaired the mode servo in my 2001 Lexus GS 430. All went well. The toughest part was the third screw that is behind the case. Used a stubby Phillips and patience and got it done. Took about 3 hours. (most of that on getting the third screw out...) Took apart the servo and cleaned it up and re-lubed with white grease. When I initially plugged it back in to test, it did not work. Was ready to order a new one for $163, and thought that I would try one more time. It works great!
Old 11-24-18, 11:50 AM
stewaji
Driver School Candidate

I had a bit of a problem getting it properly aligned. Just kept moving the servo and testing the modes. Took about 15 min, but I discovered the right way to get this reinstalled.
Old 11-24-18, 11:51 AM
stewaji
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stoutman
This is great advise as I broke 3 of the clips on my mode servo. I did find 3 utility screws laying around and was able to screw them into the open holes at the corners to tighten the 2 halves together. They were about 3/4 inch long and worked great. In my case I had to Loktite glue the worm gear to the shaft and works great now. This thread is awesome and saved my a bunch of $$$ Thanks to all!
Broke all but 2 of these clips on the mode servo, when I put it back together, it fit snug.
Old 11-24-18, 11:52 AM
stewaji
Driver School Candidate

Should have done this, did not so it took a bit longer to install.
Old 01-30-20, 08:28 AM
Marietta
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing your information.

Quick Reply: DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors