GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 10:35 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by airestonia

[/B]
Plus what do you think about these radio controls on the left side, would I be able to hook them up? Or they'd be useless?
Originally Posted by 5t341th
radio controls wont work with zenki GS's
those ARENT radio controls guys....those are cruise controls and they wont work either
Old 05-19-10, 11:11 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
those ARENT radio controls guys....those are cruise controls and they wont work either
i think the controls on the left is to change display modes, like mpg, trip odo, etc.

what ever it is, wont work.
Old 05-19-10, 11:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by onihc
i think the controls on the left is to change display modes, like mpg, trip odo, etc.

what? the buttons SAY accel and resume. those are cruise control buttons.... (dont they say this...? maybe i need to go to the eye doctor).....but yes we both agree they wont work

Edit: although looking at it again there is a **** for the cruise on the right...i concede. i maybe wrong but i swear those say accel (accelerate) and resume. (really not sure what the bottom button says)

Last edited by sakataj; 05-19-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-19-10, 11:40 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

those are radio controls... ive driven that body ES before.. it just changes the mode (fm/am etc) and the other button is for the little screen display on the odometer for mpg etc.... and the cruise control will work.... i bought a black wood es steering wheel...
Old 05-19-10, 11:41 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc

what? the buttons SAY accel and resume.....those are cruise control buttons....but yes we both agree they wont work
its not accel, the cruise on every Lexus is the same from the stalk... the two buttons will NOT work.. but the cruise will work...
Old 05-19-10, 11:53 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what? the buttons SAY accel and resume. those are cruise control buttons.... (dont they say this...? maybe i need to go to the eye doctor).....but yes we both agree they wont work

Edit: although looking at it again there is a **** for the cruise on the right...i concede. i maybe wrong but i swear those say accel (accelerate) and resume. (really not sure what the bottom button says)

top button says "MODE"
bottom button says "RESET"

i think. i have astigmatism
Old 05-19-10, 12:06 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
those are radio controls... ive driven that body ES before.. it just changes the mode (fm/am etc) and the other button is for the little screen display on the odometer for mpg etc.... and the cruise control will work.... i bought a black wood es steering wheel...
its not accel, the cruise on every Lexus is the same from the stalk... the two buttons will NOT work.. but the cruise will work...
yeah i realized i was wrong. i just had started editting that post before u posted, but didnt finish it till u did post.

not that it matters...but what does it say on those buttons?
Old 05-21-10, 12:52 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there!
Well my friend has just came back from Lithuania and god himself an LS400 UCF20!
And he brought me a steering wheel yeeeeei
It has been taken off a Lexus ES 2004 if I'm not mistaken.
It has those extra buttons that I will take off, and yes these are MODE and RESET buttons
Well, as all of you have stated before, the color doesn't match at all.
But I knew it wouldn't so it didn't come as surprise to me

I made up my mind to refinish the wheel and try to color-match to the oem GS wood.
There is a little scratch on the leather and wood but in general it's in great condition!

Basically I have two questions, how to correctly take off the airbag off of GS, first the yellow connector then the black or the other way around?
And the second question would be in regard to the color. Is it just the dye-thing you use that creates that color or is it the wood itself and no matter what I do with it I wouldn't be able to color match it, we at least make it a little brighter in color.
I'm currently googling this info but if you know any good link other than BananaGS that would help a lot!

PICS:

Thanks for watching
Old 05-21-10, 07:20 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

You know it's funny my ex had a '92 Camry and her car had the same cruise control. You would think after so many years they would change it but I guess if it ain't broke.
Old 05-21-10, 07:56 AM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on doing the bananags DIY, when you just buy a wood wheel, Split the wood where the seams are, and then sand it, dye it and install it, seems to be the best option for people with e-shift. and it makes it much easier to dye the wood and fit it.

Only question is
How did he fit it on his stock wheel??? cause im assuming wood wheels dont have a leather wrap wheel under the wood, so how did he expand the wood to fit around the wheel, as clean as he did.

link is

http://bananags.grantham-internation.../woodsteering/

Last edited by ac921ol; 05-21-10 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-21-10, 08:01 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ac921ol
I plan on doing the bananags DIY, when you just buy a wood wheel, Split the wood where the seams are, and then sand it, dye it and install it.

Only question is
How did he fit it on his stock wheel??? cause im assuming wood wheels dont have a leather wrap wheel under the wood, so how did he expand the wood to fit around the wheel, as clean as he did.

link is

http://bananags.grantham-internation.../woodsteering/
That's great and good luck with your project!
But maybe creating a separate thread would help?
Old 05-21-10, 08:20 AM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was just trying to help you, since it seems to be much easier to dye the wood a color that matches our interiors, and allows us to keep out e-shift options. sorry to invade.
Old 05-21-10, 08:34 AM
airestonia
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ac921ol
was just trying to help you, since it seems to be much easier to dye the wood a color that matches our interiors, and allows us to keep out e-shift options. sorry to invade.
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be rude or act as an ***
I mentioned bananaGS diy in some of the messages, so I'm aware of this method, but I'd rather have two steering wheels just in case I need to put in the stock one
Old 05-21-10, 05:49 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

removing the airbag is pretty ez.
disconnect battery and let it sit for 30 mins. there is residual voltage leftover so u gotta let it sit for a bit.
take off the 2 side pieces on the airbag, they should be 2 torx bits on the sides
T4 i believe, but im not too sure. its been a while
Old 05-21-10, 06:43 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Does the 01+ GS airbag fit in the ES wheel? I wonder if the audio controls from the GS430 will fit in the same place as the controls on the ES wheel.

Quick Reply: Wood steering wheel question (I have been searching :) )