GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Someone hit my car...insurance questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 09:12 AM
PIMPC17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone hit my car...insurance questions.

So this week I was changing out my lower ball joint and tie rods. Well Sewell Lexus sent me 2 right side tie rods (which I didn't notice until after I swapped the right one out). They were going to overnight me the part, so I decided to leave my car at this garage on the Air Force base I'm at so I could just fix it the next day. Well the next day some guy was trying to fix his brakes and when backing up, his brakes failed and hit my car.

So I have the estimator coming out on Tuesday to look at it. I estimated that the hood, bumper, grille, radiator support, and HID headlights about maybe $4k in parts alone. The headlights weren't broken, but when the hood was bent, it pushed back part of the seal on each headlight and put a small light cut in the passenger side driving light. I hope they give me new ones..

So I've been fortunate through out my years to have escaped from being in any accidents until now. So I'm a noob at this.

I have a 2001 GS430 with 102,000 miles.

Question 1: He has insurance through USAA, is there a certain amount they will cover up to before totaling the car?

Question 2: Will they just get an estimate of the damage and cut me a check or can I take it to a Toyota dealership (no lexus in town) and get them to give an estimate?

Question 3: What is the best route possible to take?

Question 4: Is there anything I should know or that I'm missing?

I guess on the bright side, I get a new front end..goodbye rock chips.

Thanks to all and any for any help you can provide.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-10-10, 09:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

doh, at the brake failure. just wait till the claims adjuster comes out, doubtful they will total it. no airbags went off or anything?
Old 04-10-10, 09:45 AM
melski415
Lead Lap

What I did was take my car straight to the bodyshop. That way your bodyshop deals with you insurance. It's a quicker proccess. Unless you want to wait around for the adjusters and get the run arounds.
Old 04-10-10, 10:21 AM
dealer374
Driver

Originally Posted by BLUELEX17
I have a 2001 GS430 with 102,000 miles.

Question 1: He has insurance through USAA, is there a certain amount they will cover up to before totaling the car?

Question 2: Will they just get an estimate of the damage and cut me a check or can I take it to a Toyota dealership (no lexus in town) and get them to give an estimate?

Question 3: What is the best route possible to take?

Question 4: Is there anything I should know or that I'm missing?

I guess on the bright side, I get a new front end..goodbye rock chips.

Thanks to all and any for any help you can provide.
Q1: I dont know about anything about thier Insurance
Q2: Usually the appraiser will cut you a check for the damages then you can choose from a list of repair shops to take it to. If any more hidden damage is discovered while working on the car in the body shop they call the appraiser back out for more money cuz obviously the shop isnt going to pay out of pocket for that.
Q3: If you already have a body guy drop off the car there and let them and the insurance company handle untill it ready to be picked up.
Q4: Not much I can think of now but, for instance my car got light damage to the pass. quater, bumper and a scratch on the headlight. The headlight was fine so i told the shop to leave it in cuz the insurance company wrote it up for a whole new one @ $360. I just paid the shop $140 for my $500 deductible and we were both happy. I could have paid the full $500 and got some aftermarket lights but i kept the stock ones. Check the car well before taking it away from the shop the guy I go and my family has been for years is getting old and shot some over spray on my door, make sure the car is the way you want it before you take it away.

Good luck bro
Old 04-10-10, 04:12 PM
PIMPC17
Driver School Candidate

No airbags deployed.

I have a no name body shop that my friend took his Lex to and they did a good job on the paint but I don't know if I should take it to him or the Toyota dealership. I want to make sure everything is back to factory specs.

So what do you guys think about the headlights? If you can see where the hood pushed both seals back a little bit, would that be okay to still use or could that cause MORE condensation and what not down the road?
Old 04-10-10, 10:54 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLUELEX17
No airbags deployed.

I have a no name body shop that my friend took his Lex to and they did a good job on the paint but I don't know if I should take it to him or the Toyota dealership. I want to make sure everything is back to factory specs.

So what do you guys think about the headlights? If you can see where the hood pushed both seals back a little bit, would that be okay to still use or could that cause MORE condensation and what not down the road?
nothing worse than getting half *** repairs and paying for them down the road. take it to a REPUTABLE body shop, the cost shouldn't matter as YOU shouldn't be paying for this. let them replace (from what i can think/deduct) the headlights (this way you dont have condensation IF they are cracked), the hood, the radiator support, the grill, the bumper, and whatever else they see. dont cheap out on these....but also dont let them screw you and dont screw the other guy over by trying to claim more than what u need. just get what u need and let it be done but if it got damaged, let them replace it. as i said since this WASNT your fault his insurance should be paying for it.....oh and for your rental they should be getting for you (unless your under 25, as i dont think they get you a rental then.....most rental places WONT rent to someone under 25)
Old 04-11-10, 11:11 AM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Sorry that happened to you. USAA is a one of the better insurance companies IMO. They are pretty fair too. I would definitely take it to Lexus to have the repairs done. Its your choice. Also, if you go through one of the insurance companies 'preferred' auto shop, the repairs are warrantied for a certain amount of time (I can't remember how long).

sakataj is right, you are not liable for any of the damages, they should fix everything. Since the headlights are damaged, even slightly, they should replace them. Just make sure to note everything and talk to the adjuster when they are inspecting the car. Pictures are good too. If they don't want to fix something, its good documentation that the part is damaged and should be replaced too. Good luck!
Old 04-11-10, 11:48 AM
doe619
Rookie

i work for a dealership, all i hear about usaa is there one of the best insurence companies out there..
Old 04-11-10, 06:12 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

what i learned about getting hit n insurance is... u can take it to ANY body shop you please. so research a super duper good place n go there.
Old 04-11-10, 06:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

USAA is cool. I use them and there definitely one of the better companies out there.
Old 04-11-10, 06:32 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use your insurance, you have to pay the deductable and then sue to get it back.
If you use the other guy's, you do not pay anything.
Either insurance co would want you to go to one of their approved shops as they get a discount.
See if the shop you want to go to deals with either insurance co.
Old 04-11-10, 08:00 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, on the upside NO Rock chips lol, thats a good thing you shouldnt have much to worry about as the other members have stated,

Btw theres another BLULEX, for a sec i thought it was his car when i read the name but turned out ur someone else........with a BLACKLEX????
Old 04-12-10, 09:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

OP might look into getting a clear bra installed on the new minty frontend your gonna have
Old 04-15-10, 12:45 PM
PIMPC17
Driver School Candidate

Btw theres another BLULEX, for a sec i thought it was his car when i read the name but turned out ur someone else........with a BLACKLEX????
Yeah I used to have a Mica blue Lexus a few years ago. I just saw that the other one last week. I put in a request to change my name and just waiting on that. Maybe it will be changed by the time I get my car back in the estimated "week in a half" to fix.

Well an update, all said and done the bill is $5800. I'm getting a new hood, bumper, grille, and HID headlights. I can't believe how much those costs, $1,500 a piece. I'm just glad it's not my insurance paying for it. But oh well I guess it kind of worked out for me as I wanted to replace them anyways.

Well thanks guys for all the advice and help!
Old 04-15-10, 12:59 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the estimate for the headlights radiator support and front bumper. Get the check and get parts from Sewell again and the headlights/front bumper from ebay.When it goes to the body shop of your choice, try to keep your headlights(so you can retro projectors).

Quick Reply: Someone hit my car...insurance questions.