GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 gs300 making buzzing loud buzzing sound**helpppppp

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 10:45 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1aristo
Ive always suspected low nitrogen to be the case with most of the problems ppl face concerning the brake master cyl. but I didn't know the canister was available and can be changed.
Anybody successfully changed out theirs??
I've been busy at work, but already received the new accumulator. In the next few days I might have time to change out the accumulator, I'll post some pics when doing so.

This how the new canister looks like:

Bottom

Old 02-10-16, 11:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by animalfarm
Most likely low nitrogen pressure in the accumulator (47950-30010). Replace this part, and it should be fine.

I've been busy at work, but already received the new accumulator. In the next few days I might have time to change out the accumulator, I'll post some pics when doing so.
interesting....does the new canister come precharged? or do you have to charge it? also, is there some reason you cannot just recharge the old one?
Old 02-12-16, 12:17 AM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get it charged, but you would need a lathe and other tools to open one up and add a shrader valve on top.
There is someone on a different forum that does this.
Old 02-12-16, 10:57 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakataj
interesting....does the new canister come precharged? or do you have to charge it? also, is there some reason you cannot just recharge the old one?
The new canister is precharged.
Old 02-12-16, 10:59 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Took me 45 minutes today

Get the steel belt oil filter wrench.
Old 02-12-16, 11:05 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Old 02-12-16, 01:20 PM
joebor1776
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics. Did it fix the issue for you?

I'm wondering how to tell whether the buzzing I hear behind the driver's side dash on startup (4 secs) and while braking (and a fairly mushy pedal) is due to this issue, or just normal?
Old 02-13-16, 07:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

]
i love this so so much, im continued to be impressed by people finding solutions to our cars

so DID this work correctly for you?
Old 02-14-16, 10:43 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakataj
i love this so so much, im continued to be impressed by people finding solutions to our cars

so DID this work correctly for you?
Yes, it sure did. Pressure in the system remains constant. No more pump buzzing every time I hit the brake.

Important: after installing the canister, I've used member Paige's tutorial on how to bleed the brake system. Personally I value this to be a very usefull contribution from a Lexus enthusiast.
Old 02-15-16, 04:25 AM
1aristo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very usefull indeed!!
Im not sure how the set up works, but im assuming there it no chance of nitrogen escaping while screwing in the new canister right?
Also, while unscrewing the old one did any pressure escape or did you pump the brake to release the pressure as someone mentioned before?
Old 02-15-16, 07:19 AM
ta1972
Pole Position

I'm curious too. Not enough details on that part.
Old 02-15-16, 08:07 AM
LentoGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine buzzes when I first start up and I can occasionally hear it while driving but brakes work well and not losing any fluid. Do I need to look to replace or be worried at all?
Old 02-15-16, 10:21 AM
ta1972
Pole Position

Very usefull indeed!!
Im not sure how the set up works, but im assuming there it no chance of nitrogen escaping while screwing in the new canister right?
Also, while unscrewing the old one did any pressure escape or did you pump the brake to release the pressure as someone mentioned before?
Originally Posted by LentoGS300
Mine buzzes when I first start up and I can occasionally hear it while driving but brakes work well and not losing any fluid. Do I need to look to replace or be worried at all?
That's normal upon start up. It's the actuator pump pressurizing the accumulator. If however, if it's doing that every 10-15 seconds early all the time, then you possibly have a slow leak from the accumulator. This in turn will wear out your actuator pump quicker and eventually fail.
Old 02-17-16, 07:30 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it sure did. Pressure in the system remains constant. No more pump buzzing every time I hit the brake.

Important: after installing the canister, I've used member Paige's tutorial on how to bleed the brake system. Personally I value this to be a very usefull contribution from a Lexus enthusiast.

MOD's can we sticky this?
Old 02-22-16, 05:09 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Very usefull indeed!!
Yes, pump the brake (ignition off) about 40 times. The fluid level in the reservoir rises, take a syringe to take the brake fluid out completely. After this there's no more (significant) pressure in the system.
Now you can unscrew the canister.
About the canister: this is just a reservoir and inside there is a large piston, above this piston is the (high!) pressure nitrogen. On a moleculaire level, nitrogen atoms seep past the piston seals ( these also wear out), so over time (years), the pressure gets to low.
How ever, I would personally never start drilling in the canister, because you don't know how much pressure is left, even after 10+ years.

Quick Reply: 98 gs300 making buzzing loud buzzing sound**helpppppp