GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-15-14, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

NEED ANSWERS ASAP!! wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 09:45 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED ANSWERS ASAP!! wheel bearings

Ok so for anyone who has had there GS for a while give me some advice.
My front wheel bearing is dead. or at least thats what the guys at Firestone said. Basically I have replaced everything except the lower control arm no.1 on my car trying to end the horrible seizure effect at 65+ mph. I see that on Sewell they have the front wheel bearing for less then $60. I guess my question is:
- Is this all I should be worried about, just a simply bearing replacement? Or should I purchase the whole new front wheel hub assembly for like $140?

All help is really appreciated

here's the link to sewell:
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/***...l=200&year=160
Old 04-01-10, 09:50 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

Also maybe someone could tell me what the right part is or who i shuld order it from because this site has a slightly different image

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 04-01-10, 10:08 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

don't forget to buy new seals for it.
Old 04-01-10, 11:22 AM
BP_VVt-i
Lead Lap

thanks for the heads up i was checking sum youtube vids and i think i will be good with just replacing the bearing
Old 04-01-10, 11:36 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your bearings are shot, I would look into the hub assembly as well. When hub assemblies go bad I'm pretty sure they chew up bearings.
Old 07-20-10, 08:43 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What are the symptoms/noises hear when front hub assemblies/wheel bearings are bad?

I have replaced the lower ball joints and will replace the upper control arms next week, but I still have a "creaking" sound coming from the front wheels. I notice it mostly when driving slow and turning, but I suppose it could be doing it at higher speeds and I just can't hear it.
Old 07-20-10, 08:56 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

the creaking is usually a bushing. To the Op are you sure its a wheel bearing does the car make a noise or is it because you have the 55/ 65+ shakes and cant figure it out
Old 07-20-10, 07:17 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just replace your wheel bearing, clean the hub and have a nice day.
Old 07-21-10, 12:37 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the abs light never comes on then the hub is still working within tolerances .
do a search or atleast post in the suspension section as it doesn't sound like you replaced to daizen bushings.
Old 07-21-10, 12:58 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need a press to replace the bearing?
I think my front driver's side bearing is on its way out. It sometimes makes a whining sound at 20-30mph.
Old 07-21-10, 07:44 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YviE
Do you need a press to replace the bearing?
Yes. I usually remove the spindle and take it to the machine shop. Just as easy really.
Old 12-24-16, 10:01 AM
GSdre
Driver School Candidate

Default Bearing Discussion

Will you know if the bearing is worn, on my 99GS300 at very low speeds , like bumper to bumper traffic speeds , the car has a slight wobble.. now it isn't the tires or wheels , I have put them on a balancer an they run Straight , brakes are bad but again I feel even that is not enough to cause the wobble . Let me hear some opinions please .
Old 12-24-16, 10:08 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GSdre
Will you know if the bearing is worn, on my 99GS300 at very low speeds , like bumper to bumper traffic speeds , the car has a slight wobble.. now it isn't the tires or wheels , I have put them on a balancer an they run Straight , brakes are bad but again I feel even that is not enough to cause the wobble . Let me hear some opinions please .
Is it wobbling while you're accelerating, or when you're braking? If its while you're braking, well then it could be your "bad brakes". Rotors could be warped; warped rotors will create a wobble. Testing joints is easy, raise the car and see if you can move them by hand. Grab the tire on each side and see if you can get it to move side to side and/or up and down.

Also, check your tires for tumors as well as your lugnuts.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 12-24-16 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-29-17, 05:29 AM
GSdre
Driver School Candidate

Default need answers asap!!!

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Is it wobbling while you're accelerating, or when you're braking? If its while you're braking, well then it could be your "bad brakes". Rotors could be warped; warped rotors will create a wobble. Testing joints is easy, raise the car and see if you can move them by hand. Grab the tire on each side and see if you can get it to move side to side and/or up and down.

After getting the car to a lift , I did some simply checks , such as shaking the wheels to see if there is play, come to find out , rack is leaking on both sides and there is a lot of excessive play in the driver side inner tie rod. Even tho brakes and rotors might be warped, I still have no clue why there is howling coming from the wheels if I'm going left or going right at a high speed ..
Old 01-29-17, 06:00 AM
GSdre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster

Ok, so what if I told you I just replaced front tires , also what I should have said was car wobbles at coasting speeds like 20-30, it just has a slight wobble that I cannot figure out, I'm thinking because rotors are warped but even that I'm not convinced

Quick Reply: NEED ANSWERS ASAP!! wheel bearings