GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone tried the Remanufactured AC Compressors on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 05:16 AM
GS300NEGRO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by speed3000g
Sure thing, i'll call you around 11.
Any progress? I have the same problem.
Old 03-26-10, 09:37 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not yet, maybe today.. i'll update the thread asap
Old 03-26-10, 10:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
Sounds like you are low on refrigerant...

what are the pressures, high and low side, at about 2000 rpm?

Also what is your static pressure?
lol, or he has a restriction...or a dirty coil/condensor

why does everyone always assume first thing people are is low on freon? thats how alot of cars/houses end up overcharged. although your right....need the H/L/S pressures
Old 03-26-10, 11:57 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Hey Jeff, you must be busy as heck cause i just got this message when trying to pm you:

The following errors occurred with your submission:

1. JeffTsai has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

I was just gonna let you know that I'm ready to put your compressor in and return this remanned one,, call or pm me whenever youre available to fit me in..
thanks
Old 03-28-10, 08:02 PM
GS300NEGRO
Driver School Candidate

Hey Jeff, you must be busy as heck cause i just got this message when trying to pm you:

The following errors occurred with your submission:

1. JeffTsai has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

I was just gonna let you know that I'm ready to put your compressor in and return this remanned one,, call or pm me whenever youre available to fit me in..
thanks
Have you been able to find the problem? Sorry for being so persistence.
Old 03-28-10, 09:45 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Well today i went to Jeff's place to have him put in his used OEM compressor and it worked out great ! The remanufactured compressor I had put in last week was not building enough pressure. And its blowing equally cool from drivers side and passenger side.. The remanned compressor apparently wasnt making enough cool air to cool the passenger side and almost tricked me into changing the servo motors.
Anyway, THANKS JEFF For helping end this adventure...

My advice to anyone with AC problems is dont cheap out the first time around!
Heres my cost break down in order of appearance:
1) Bought drier/condensor --$100 (aftermarket)
2) Remanned compressor on eBay $270
3) Small shop to install both: $250
--Should have been done here if I had bought a good compressor, but it didnt cool so additional costs:
4) Having a pro check out remanned compressor and finding out that the shop that installed it tore an o-ring gasket which caused loss of freon; had freon re-installed: $100
5) Putting in used compressor (Oem) and installation by GS300 master: $400

Grand total: ~$1100

BTW, it's also my fault for rushing and buying the eBay compressor.. If my mom and me had patience, I could have waited for Jeff to come back from the TX2k10 meet last weekend and had him just put in his compressor.. Woulda saved $500 and alot of driving!

Last edited by B4TM4N; 03-28-10 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 01:06 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, sorry I haven't checked here on CL for a few days and my inbox filled up. If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask. Or, maybe talk to sakataj...he's the HVAC expert. I just happen to know a thing or two about AC to get a car blowing cold, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert when it comes to HVAC stuff. My main focus to to make cars go fast

Frankie, let me know if there are any issues in the following months. I don't think there will be any problems, hopefully it will continue blowing out at 35-36F
Old 03-29-10, 01:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask. Or, maybe talk to sakataj...he's the HVAC expert. I just happen to know a thing or two about AC to get a car blowing cold, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert when it comes to HVAC stuff. My main focus to to make cars go fast
lol, naw jeff. although i do it for a living, i wouldn't say im a expert. we deal with more residential/commercial applications although most of the stuff does translate to a car so im familiar. funny how many of the "experts" call our work for help on installs when they at their customers houses or to troubleshoot while they there. ty for the nice words though.
Old 03-29-10, 02:44 PM
GS300NEGRO
Driver School Candidate

Well today i went to Jeff's place to have him put in his used OEM compressor and it worked out great ! The remanufactured compressor I had put in last week was not building enough pressure. And its blowing equally cool from drivers side and passenger side.. The remanned compressor apparently wasnt making enough cool air to cool the passenger side and almost tricked me into changing the servo motors.
Anyway, THANKS JEFF For helping end this adventure...

My advice to anyone with AC problems is dont cheap out the first time around!
Heres my cost break down in order of appearance:
1) Bought drier/condensor --$100 (aftermarket)
2) Remanned compressor on eBay $270
3) Small shop to install both: $250
--Should have been done here if I had bought a good compressor, but it didnt cool so additional costs:
4) Having a pro check out remanned compressor and finding out that the shop that installed it tore an o-ring gasket which caused loss of freon; had freon re-installed: $100
5) Putting in used compressor (Oem) and installation by GS300 master: $400

Grand total: ~$1100

BTW, it's also my fault for rushing and buying the eBay compressor.. If my mom and me had patience, I could have waited for Jeff to come back from the TX2k10 meet last weekend and had him just put in his compressor.. Woulda saved $500 and alot of driving!
Where can I find a good compressor and a condensor? Thanks .......good that all turned out well for you.
Old 03-29-10, 08:29 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Originally Posted by GS300NEGRO
Where can I find a good compressor and a condensor? Thanks .......good that all turned out well for you.
Just check out the classifieds and see if anyone is parting out a car with low miles... Also try eBay .. But the thing with used parts is you can't have a guarantee... The only guarantee would be getting a new one from Lexus probably.

But my celebration ended early... Today on the highway, while driving at a constant speed ( 65 or 70mph), i would feel a random loss in power, something like a misfire feels like (even though its not), but I think it has something to do with the AC compressor's clutch. And then when I came to a stop, in idle, the car would idle up and down between 800 and 1000 rpms, like the compressor was kicking on and then off every 3 seconds.

hopefully its just a small issue like being overcharged or needing/removing alittle oil. Will post results when its all figured out!

UPDATE: This problem has been resolved... Turns out the system had just a little bit too much freon... We lowered it to the correct amount and its been working perfect for the past week.

So in short:: If you are on a budget, it is still better to get an OEM used compressor with low mileage than to get a Remanufactured one unless it was rebuilt to Denso's specs. Change out drier while youre at it. Make sure freon is charged to spec.

the End
(Hopefully)

Last edited by B4TM4N; 04-03-10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-03-10, 11:06 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Just posting this before this summer season hits and people's AC goes out...
I think this Compressor for the GS300 looks to be a safe bet versus other rebuilt ones on eBay..

http://www.lexuspartstore.com/catalo...11921+9270+773
Old 04-03-10, 11:43 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Frankie, is the AC still working properly? I haven't received any messages or calls from you so I assume nothing is wrong. Sorry about the re-visit, I didn't have a properly working scale
Old 04-03-10, 04:33 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Frankie, is the AC still working properly? I haven't received any messages or calls from you so I assume nothing is wrong. Sorry about the re-visit, I didn't have a properly working scale
Hey, yeah so far so good thankfully!! Thanks again
Old 04-04-10, 08:35 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

UPDATE: This problem has been resolved... Turns out the system had just a little bit too much freon... We lowered it to the correct amount and its been working perfect for the past week.
lol, this is why i constantly was asking you'll for your pressures.

good you have this resolved
Old 04-04-10, 09:54 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, the original compressor was bad. I screwed up when re-charging because my scale wasn't working properly so I couldn't accurately measure the amount being charged.

Maybe you can explain this weird phenomenon, I've never had this happen before. When I initially charged it after the new compressor was installed. All pressures were spot on, around 30psi low side and 175-195ish or so high side. He drove around for a few days and brought it back because it wasn't cooling right. I checked the pressure again and high side was skyrocketing at like 275-300 or so which was causing the pressure switch to turn the compressor off. It's an enclosed system so I don't know where the excess came from. Both days it was around the same temp 70F outside.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 04-04-10 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Remanufactured AC Compressors on Ebay?