GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 10:22 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm downloading those PDF's now, as to avoid the website going down later. Going to see if I can compile them as well into one file.
Old 02-09-11, 07:23 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Ok, if anyone can point me into the direction of a PDF compiler that I can just easily select all the pdf files i want and compile them into one PDF file, i'd appreciate it. I would share it here that way others who can't access the website would have access to the file itself.
Old 02-09-11, 10:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Ok, if anyone can point me into the direction of a PDF compiler that I can just easily select all the pdf files i want and compile them into one PDF file, i'd appreciate it. I would share it here that way others who can't access the website would have access to the file itself.
please someone help him....i want that link saved to my computer as the file doesnt open in mozilla only in IE and i HATE IE
Old 02-10-11, 06:52 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude Adobe writer will compile all of the PDFs into one. And what are you compiling? IF it is the entire GS manual. I have it, and its all compiled. Someone tell me where to upload it and I will.
Old 02-10-11, 10:49 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Dude Adobe writer will compile all of the PDFs into one. And what are you compiling? IF it is the entire GS manual. I have it, and its all compiled. Someone tell me where to upload it and I will.
I was googling program after program and NOTHING worked, all programs were failures. I'll try writer though thanks.

But you say you have the manual? Is it for the 430?
Old 02-10-11, 12:38 PM
fastryan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

changed mine a few moonths ago even though lexus said no to, and wadya know, the cel is gone. milage is up a bit, maybe 2-3 mpg. the bag was cleen, the tank was sparkling and the filter was disgusting. always only used shell and mobile. interesting.
Old 02-10-11, 04:02 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
I want and need this!
Old 02-10-11, 06:45 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fastryan
changed mine a few moonths ago even though lexus said no to, and wadya know, the cel is gone. milage is up a bit, maybe 2-3 mpg. the bag was cleen, the tank was sparkling and the filter was disgusting. always only used shell and mobile. interesting.
2-3 mpg is 10% which is a huge amount. A company would kill to get 10% improvement. As seen on Mythbusters, it takes meticulous tracking to see mpg improvements. Will try to see if I can detect any changes over the next tank and report back.
Old 02-12-11, 02:48 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished this today. It is very easy like many have said. It only took about an hour. My car is the gs400 and it seems the procedure is slightly different compared to the gs430 so I snapped a few pic while I was working. I cant say if there is any difference in mileage yet but everything went together with no problems and the car is running smooth with no codes. Thank you Mr. SAK for the excellent pics , def made this job much easier.

Here is a pic of the yellow plastic clip halfway out. This needs to be removed all the way before you can remove the top fuel line.
Name:  IMG_0118.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  84.9 KB

Here is an overview of the assembly completely disassembled. It looks like the gs430 filter makes up the entire bottom of the assembly while the gs400(shown here) the filter is a separate black piece that sits inside the white housing. You must take everything apart as shown here to get to the filter.
Name:  IMG_0120.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  127.3 KB

Now for the part that some had trouble with(or at least I think this is the part). The O-ring and the white plastic,,,,,,,,thingy. These small parts sit inside the top of the filter, dont throw these away by mistake! Her it is, this must be removed from the old filter and transfered to the new filter. Thingy goes in first, ring sit on top, any questions??? Good.

Name:  IMG_0119.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  119.6 KB

Assembled and ready to go bathing in gasoline.
Name:  IMG_0121.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  119.6 KB

Old filter.

Name:  IMG_0124.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  107.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0122.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  140.3 KB
Old 02-12-11, 03:26 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

That's how I did it with my filter - put the plastic "thingy" in first, then the ring.
Old 02-12-11, 03:35 PM
PltnmGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 226k on my gs400. I guess I should change my filter also.
Old 02-12-11, 05:07 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
That's how I did it with my filter - put the plastic "thingy" in first, then the ring.
This is why I posted to review the service manual. I think your procedure is not right. You should install the oring on the tube, so it is under compression on its circumferences, and forms a good seal just with the 2 tubes without the housing. This takes a little stretching, (lube with fuel) but you expect seals to be tight. Ths is how most o rings seal (as compared to a gasket or washer with a flat top). It is also the procedure described in the manual. Your car will still work but fuel is likely leaking through that seal.
Old 02-12-11, 05:13 PM
raytseng
Instructor

as a test, let your car sit for awhile. Then the test is if you pull the same fuel line see if it retained the pressure like the original. If it didn't you may wasn't to redo the procedure.
Old 02-12-11, 05:24 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
This is why I posted to review the service manual. I think your procedure is not right. You should install the oring on the tube, so it is under compression on its circumferences, and forms a good seal just with the 2 tubes without the housing. This takes a little stretching, (lube with fuel) but you expect seals to be tight. Ths is how most o rings seal (as compared to a gasket or washer with a flat top). It is also the procedure described in the manual. Your car will still work but fuel is likely leaking through that seal.

Well all I can say about that is ,I put this thing together just the way it was and so far no problems. Just drove like 20 miles and running smooth as butter.
Old 02-12-11, 05:45 PM
raytseng
Instructor

It's your car. So if it works for you more power to you. I just want to make sure others who read this thread get all the info including what the service manual says. I made the same "mistake" and decided to redo the procedure as the manual says. The car worked, although when I pulled the fuel line it didn't hold the preassure and spray fuel like the original. After the change, pressure now seems to hold

Quick Reply: Cross-Section of GS Fuel Filter