GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

looking to buy three piece wheels for the GS But

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 11:05 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default looking to buy three piece wheels for the GS But

I found an interesting thread on Bimmerfest about three piece wheel strength.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=258385

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=258223

I'm getting them for a steal but the streets of NYC are horrible!!!!!!! getting a little nervous. I have 1 piece casted wheels now with no bends (which been through some war). I have hit holes that would make you go home and beat your wife man LOL. These streets are the worst.
Old 02-10-10, 05:49 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too many variables to just say flat out, one is stronger than the other. It would depend on the particular wheel's manufacturing process, materials, design, and usage. For instance, put a 22" with a 7" lip and rubber band tires on, and then act surprised when you get a bend?
Old 02-10-10, 06:20 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Rims in NYC will get bent, it's a fact of life. Doesn't matter if you get them made out of steel.

Just have to make sure you find a quality wheel shop for repair work. If you need a recommended shop after you get your wheels PM me...
Old 02-10-10, 10:46 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Rims in NYC will get bent, it's a fact of life. Doesn't matter if you get them made out of steel.

Just have to make sure you find a quality wheel shop for repair work. If you need a recommended shop after you get your wheels PM me...
Yup, the sad reality in NYC, but like I said I hit a few holes that should have finish the rim and not a scratch. I guess some 1 piece casted wheels are not as bad as I have been hearing.

Thanks for the plug on the repair shop. If its the shop that v goes to, I've heard of them.
Old 02-10-10, 10:48 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Too many variables to just say flat out, one is stronger than the other. It would depend on the particular wheel's manufacturing process, materials, design, and usage. For instance, put a 22" with a 7" lip and rubber band tires on, and then act surprised when you get a bend?
Yes there are many variables but in these two threads it put a new spin on the age old argument that forged wheels are stronger. Meaning high end wheels like HRE which are top notch can fold like any other wheel. I guess the real importance is how the company deal with the issue via public relations.
Old 02-10-10, 10:49 AM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your tires kinda determine how much damage is going to happen to what .02
Old 02-10-10, 11:03 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by SirBev
I think your tires kinda determine how much damage is going to happen to what .02
I'm running 245, 35, 20 in the front, and 275, 30, 20 in the rear. Will a stretch tire give you some problem (pothole wise)?
Old 02-10-10, 11:23 AM
TYPEII
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere this was true, reasons why 3-piece and forged was popular was for light weight and custom offsets for track use, not for strength, like Magnesium wheels, Super light but brittle as hell, couldn't even be used on everyday roads...
Old 02-10-10, 11:24 AM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire size does play a big part, Philly streets are not quite the best either I seen guys crack wheels in half and most of them were one piece , Three piece usually bend easier but harder to crack or break . The smartest thing to do is if you cant avoid a pothole at high speed try to hit it center of the wheel that way your not putting all the weight on the barrel or lip
Old 02-10-10, 09:58 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phillygs3
The smartest thing to do is if you cant avoid a pothole at high speed try to hit it center of the wheel that way your not putting all the weight on the barrel or lip
Or do what I do, speed up more to "fly" over the pothole granted it's not that big.
Old 02-10-10, 10:15 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by phillygs3
Tire size does play a big part, Philly streets are not quite the best either I seen guys crack wheels in half and most of them were one piece , Three piece usually bend easier but harder to crack or break . The smartest thing to do is if you cant avoid a pothole at high speed try to hit it center of the wheel that way your not putting all the weight on the barrel or lip
Originally Posted by sleeper408
Or do what I do, speed up more to "fly" over the pothole granted it's not that big.
LOLOL Its so sad we have to resort to this LOL

NYC Rim Fail !!! LOL

Old 02-11-10, 10:54 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

^ lol if you hit a pothole that could bend that rim there we are all in trouble! prob rip my whole wheel off !
Old 02-12-10, 12:45 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by [ant]
^ lol if you hit a pothole that could bend that rim there we are all in trouble! prob rip my whole wheel off !
"welcome to new york, concrete potholes that you fall into, there's nothing you can do, hello new york" (Jay-z, and alicia keys) LOL joke but no joke.

Wheel repair make a killing out here.
Old 02-12-10, 01:48 AM
kevon54
Driver School Candidate

What the hell?
That pic makes me not want to drive anywhere.
Old 02-12-10, 05:22 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

For sure! NY roads suck...especially the city. Here on LI the roads are pretty bad as well. As others mentioned a more "full" profile (thicker sidewall AKA fat setup) will help against this.

What do all you guys do after you hit a pothole? Do you ever get reimbursed by your township? I have bent 3 wheels (1 cast; my old wheels) in the past on separate occasions. The first time I bent the front passenger wheel on a 7" deep pothole...the second time I bent BOTH front and rear driver side wheels on an 11" deep pothole (I measured) and did not recoupe any losses from my town. Complete BS/

Quick Reply: looking to buy three piece wheels for the GS But