GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Battery died, charged, no locks and alarm going off

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 04:22 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4004gs
I had tried and now retried unlocking the doors manually with both of my keys a dozen times.

Dashocker... having been cut to three days a week at my job (company wide cut) right now $100 seems like $10,000.

I just don't get how the battery dying could do this unless an ECU needs to be reset some how.

To make life even more fun, whenever I pop the hood, the alarm goes off. Ugh
Scan tool time

Sorry about the job situation. Things will get better for you in time.
Take the car to Autozone to get a free OBD2 diagnostic.. Let us know what codes pop up..
Old 10-06-09, 06:42 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Take the car to Lexus of Rockville Centre & pay the one hundred or so dollars diagnostic fee to find out what the true problem is. This beats the time & money wasting guessing game.. I will be there this Saturday for a coolant flush
I am going to take the plunge... anyone in particular to talk to there?
Old 10-06-09, 10:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to take the plunge... anyone in particular to talk to there?
All of the advisors are good folk. I recommended this dealership to other members & would not steer you wrong.. They are very good.
Old 10-06-09, 11:03 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

All of the advisors are good folk. I recommended this dealership to other members & would not steer you wrong.. They are very good.
I just got off the phone with Annette who was super nice.

They can not diagnose on a weekend so I have an appointment to drop my baby off Monday morning. She offered me a loaner car for doing so. It didn't sound like they're charging me for it although I guess I should call back and ask.

I guess I should have clarified the diagnostic price too. :-/
Old 10-06-09, 11:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I just got off the phone with Annette who was super nice.

They can not diagnose on a weekend so I have an appointment to drop my baby off Monday morning. She offered me a loaner car for doing so. It didn't sound like they're charging me for it although I guess I should call back and ask.

I guess I should have clarified the diagnostic price too. :-/
No charge for the loaner and it will be a newer Lexus for you to drive for the time being Call them back to get the price of the diagnostic.. Keep us posted on the outcome...
Old 10-06-09, 12:16 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

No charge for the loaner and it will be a newer Lexus for you to drive for the time being Call them back to get the price of the diagnostic.. Keep us posted on the outcome...
The cost is $112 hr. for diagnosing. (ouch)

Absolutely will post back unlike the 5 other people who had almost the exact same problem and disappeared never letting anyone know how they resolved it.
Old 10-07-09, 12:34 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

This is weird... was outside and closed the hood on the car. The alarm started going off so I popped the hood and disconnected the battery. 1/2 hour later I went outside to move the car. Reconnected the battery, alarm goes off and I open the door manually with my key. (a tip I've tried before)

First thing I notice, my auto-tilt is working again. I start the car and notice no flashing fuel light AND my climate control is back. Still no power locks, mirrors, seat memory or master window control though.

So being brave I disconnect the battery again. Wait a few and reconnect it. Now, tilt and climate are dead again.

Sounds like a flaky ECU?
Old 10-07-09, 01:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

This is weird... was outside and closed the hood on the car. The alarm started going off so I popped the hood and disconnected the battery. 1/2 hour later I went outside to move the car. Reconnected the battery, alarm goes off and I open the door manually with my key. (a tip I've tried before)

First thing I notice, my auto-tilt is working again. I start the car and notice no flashing fuel light AND my climate control is back. Still no power locks, mirrors, seat memory or master window control though.

So being brave I disconnect the battery again. Wait a few and reconnect it. Now, tilt and climate are dead again.

Sounds like a flaky ECU?

has it been raining there? i have a problem i have actually NEVER mentioned on here that sounds sorta similar to yours.

when it rains heavily and i mean heavily one of my window ecu's must be getting wet as somedays i can never roll my windows down or if i roll it down, it will stop and i wont be able to roll it back up for awhile. the auto tilt wills top working, the door programs don't work (ALTHOUGH my drivers window normally always works.) the cluster will dim or brighten and stay like this, headlights will take a second to come on.....then in a day or a few days when it has stopped raining and my car has dried out everything will work again. i know one of these days i will get annoyed or something will permanently happen and i will have to fix it but lately i just kinda ignore it as i know the rain causes it.

so i wonder if you been getting rain too
Old 10-08-09, 05:47 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

sakataj... yes we've had rain but not anything unusual. It's been through much worse weeks of rain and never given me a problem.

UPDATE: Today, my brand new battery was very weak, car cranked slow. Soooo, there is most certainly a drain somewhere. Also, the locks now work on every door but the drivers. :/ I also noticed that the climate control screen glitches once in a while.
Old 10-14-09, 06:03 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

So my car has been at the dealership since Monday morning. I got a call Monday at around 4:30 telling me they didn't get it in. I haven't heard from them since.

I've never taken my car to a dealer... do I start bugging them or try to be patient?
Old 10-14-09, 10:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

So my car has been at the dealership since Monday morning. I got a call Monday at around 4:30 telling me they didn't get it in. I haven't heard from them since.

I've never taken my car to a dealer... do I start bugging them or try to be patient?
Call them to find out if they started the diagnostic! Today is Wednsday buddy.. The pay clock starts ticking once the tech starts work on the car & not while it sits in wait.

What did you tell them when you brought the car in & what was the response?
Old 10-14-09, 11:11 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

I called them... they guy who was working on it yesterday went home injured and my car sat the rest of the day. Now, he says he has two techs on it and they are baffled so far.

Ugh

I gave them a printout with everything that happened and everything I tried up to this point.

UPDATE: They've been working on it for three hours and the techs are baffled. They confirmed there is a draw somewhere. Then, the windows suddenly started working and 5 minutes later quit working. They THINK it might be in the wiring harness.

Gosh this is exciting news. We need an "I am going to cut out my own spleen and bleed to death" icon.

Last edited by gs4004gs; 10-14-09 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-16-09, 07:11 AM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

I just got a call from Lexus. They finally figured out the problem. Remarkably, it was the battery terminal. It wasn't corroded, just worn out and didn't fit tight enough. This was causing the car to struggle to draw enough juice to run everything.

Coincidentally I had read about this on another thread but the guy had said he was corroded so I didn't pay it much attention.

The terminal was $65. They also said I need a new drive belt for $150, suggested a coolant service for $170 and injector service for $172.

They also said my two front door actuators were weak but they want over $1000 to do that. I think I'll find someone local to install a couple of ebay actuators instead. *ouch*
Old 10-16-09, 11:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

I just got a call from Lexus. They finally figured out the problem. Remarkably, it was the battery terminal. It wasn't corroded, just worn out and didn't fit tight enough. This was causing the car to struggle to draw enough juice to run everything.

Coincidentally I had read about this on another thread but the guy had said he was corroded so I didn't pay it much attention.

The terminal was $65. They also said I need a new drive belt for $150, suggested a coolant service for $170 and injector service for $172.

They also said my two front door actuators were weak but they want over $1000 to do that. I think I'll find someone local to install a couple of ebay actuators instead. *ouch*
glad u got this sorted out....funny my dealer always suggests something too lol.
Old 10-17-09, 01:53 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Issue NOT resolved.

I just went to take the car out and everything is as screwed up as before.

Quick Reply: Battery died, charged, no locks and alarm going off