GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Audio Install - 2GS300 - MLK165 & AVN

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 07:36 AM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Audio Install - 2GS300 - MLK165 & AVN

Had somem Audio completed recentlyt he ride home listening to the Hertz MLK 165a from the Eclipse AVN726EA was sublime.

One of the first things to do was to remove the components in the Centre Console:

In fact, most of the cars Interior was removed:

Factory Speakers came out, including the Factory 8" Sub (under the Parcel Shelf)

The Install took 3 days, most of the time it looked like this

Sound Stage
Dynapad

Hiding the Hertz Drivers in the factory locations (as requested). This was difficult and I thought that I may have to resort to changing to another type fo speaker that was shallower than the massive MLK mids, but they managed to just barely fit them in.

Head Unit

The Surround around the HU will be Gunmetal like the other components in the Centre Console.

Reverse Camera
Installed

The images are noisy at night, but clear. It may depend on how much light your reverse lights can throw, I'm upgrading to LED Tailights soon which will throw much more light out the back of the car. My setup (reverse camera hidden into factory bootlid keylock postition) may affect the camera image, although I can't see any obvious signs of it. I'll try to get a day shot for you, it's VERY clear during the day.

I'm not liking the Green AC Console Lighting anymore, will look at a way to change the LCD screen backlighting etc. to Blue to match the Eclipse buttons. The blue is much softer & nicer imo., one thing I liked about the VW , the Violet/Blue illumination. I hated BMWs very old looking Orange and I like Peugeots crisp White illumination & instrument fonts.

Navigation
Navigation is the best I've ever used, better (dare I say it) than factoy BMW & Benz SatNav, the guidence is clear, it's not too repetative, it's fast, re-routing is fast, it guids perfectly unlike my $450 Tom Tom, it stores many more addresses, it is easier to use, obviously the screen is huge (7") and that makes a difference, it's just perfect.

I've driven through tunnels and it keeps guiding, I haven't tried it in a long tunnel. I didn't think the audio guys hooked up VSS (Speed Sensor) but it keeps guiding in the shorter tunnels I've been through where my Tom Tom lost signal and took a few seconds to get it back, horrible when you weren't paying attention and the exit is just after the end of the tunnel and the dam Sat Nav hasn't caught signal yet and asked you to take the turn

I mucked around with the facia and made the unit sit a little more neatly:

I'll paint the facia the same Gunmetal colour in the coming days.

d.
Old 08-07-09, 08:23 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice install
what about the rear? what sub did you go with? any install pics of the sub area?
Old 08-07-09, 09:11 AM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Nice setup. I have the same color GS. Hopefully you won't have to replace your lock actuator soon..
Old 08-07-09, 12:13 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!
Old 08-07-09, 12:24 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

very nice i like the rear view camera mount. looks factory
Old 08-08-09, 07:03 AM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rob Daddy
nice install
what about the rear? what sub did you go with? any install pics of the sub area?

The Sub is an 8", same size as the factory item. It's also hidden away under the factory cover:

No point showing you the box it's sealed in, the sub box drops down a little, it's still very discreet as it is trimmed in the same material as the boot lining. The boot install (the whole install) is sooo neat, I love it.

A pic of the Amp (LRx6.9) I'm running the whole system with:

It's hidden behind the Sub box, which is hidden underneath the parcel shelf. It was a task to take this shot so you can imagine that it's not easy to see the Amp from the back of the car when the bootlid is open. Just the way I wanted it.

Hooked all my music up (250 GIG) to a potable HDD and then to the Eclipse via USB. It's fast, about 2 seconds to load (when I start the car) all the mp3's up on screen and then it's just touch to play. Folders are easy to browse. The usual tags show on screen (Artist, Track Name, Number, Album Name etc.). The HDD sits in the glovebox and the iPhone as well so it stays charged. The iPhone works seemlessly through the Eclipse HU.

Old 08-08-09, 07:06 AM
Damian@FI
Rookie

Originally Posted by cxp2001
Nice setup. I have the same color GS. Hopefully you won't have to replace your lock actuator soon..
Mines has just started to stop locking today, the car is making one long continuous beep when I ask the Key Fob to lock it. I've had to lock it with the dam key in the drivers door Are they exxy to replce?
Old 08-08-09, 07:21 AM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fantastic install. looks awesome!
Old 08-08-09, 07:42 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice... looks like the installers did a neat job
Old 08-08-09, 08:56 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

nice setup!
Old 08-08-09, 09:02 AM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

nice setup, I'm running hertz mlk's with audison amps too. one of the best speakers imo.
Old 08-08-09, 12:30 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dam that clean........!!!!!!
Old 08-08-09, 05:18 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to get off topic, but how do you like that nav? I was thinking about upgrading to that and was wondering how it was.

but anyway, the shop did a good job.
Old 08-09-09, 04:13 AM
Damian@FI
Rookie

^The Eclipse I have is an AVN726EA, I'm assuming you guys get the AVN726E, teh same part/model number without the 'A' on the end which I'm guessing designates an 'Australian' model/version. I doubt there would be any difference, probably just regional mapping etc.

The unit is awesome and I've had many TV HUs before, mostly Pioneer because of the decent Sound & LCD Quality. This one packs the best quality I've seen with the most functions I've seen or can find (in Australia anyway). SD card slot allows for music or Movies in mp3,wma & DivX compression & the screen is great quality. 5V pre-outs seem to provide a very clean source. Blutooth handsfree works seemlessly with my iPhone and I can also, very reduced quality, Bluetooth music from my iPhone to the HU.

There are many other useful functions, if your in the market for a dd screen HU, definately take a look at one, it's probably the best around now imo.

This is the car btw

d.
Old 08-09-09, 12:08 PM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

nice clean install.

very nice car audio.
i'm sure it sounds great in there.

keep the mods coming!!

Quick Reply: New Audio Install - 2GS300 - MLK165 & AVN