GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A/C Blowing Hot Air

Old 03-18-10, 04:16 AM
Matt2828
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think an easy way to check the servo function would be to see if temperature of the air blown changes at all when the temperature is changed.

The temperature at hot should be very very hot when the temp is turned to max, even if the A/C is broken, where it should come down to a comfortable (well comfortable for your hand) level when the temperature is turned to the coldest setting.

No change = servo, change, but not to freezing indicates the A/C system (cooling side).

Also remember that the heat for the heater comes from the engine coolant, and there are valves that open and close to redirect the hot coolant to and from the heater core when needed.
Old 03-18-10, 09:32 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300NEGRO
Yes everytime I switch the settings to the windshield/under the dash or normal settings the servos work fine.

Yes it blows air. When I am setting the temperature it starts blowing regular temp with air and when I set to the heater it works to the heater.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks
ok so then the heat side works on BOTH sides (my heat when my servos were bad only worked on one side)

run through all modes while sitting in the passenger seat and see if all modes function correctly and then do this also for the a/c see if it on passenger side it works. this will help narrow down a servo and a actual a/c problem.

have you actually had your a/c serviced or checked?
Old 03-18-10, 07:29 PM
GS300NEGRO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
ok so then the heat side works on BOTH sides (my heat when my servos were bad only worked on one side)

run through all modes while sitting in the passenger seat and see if all modes function correctly and then do this also for the a/c see if it on passenger side it works. this will help narrow down a servo and a actual a/c problem.

have you actually had your a/c serviced or checked?
I checked all the modes and they work , when I switch to warm it warms up but when I switch to A/C cold it blows air but not A/C cold temparature.

I have the A/C evacuate and add freeon and that is when I was getting the low pressure to 60 LBS.

Thanks
Old 03-19-10, 09:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I checked all the modes and they work , when I switch to warm it warms up but when I switch to A/C cold it blows air but not A/C cold temparature.

I have the A/C evacuate and add freeon and that is when I was getting the low pressure to 60 LBS.

Thanks
so your lowside pressure is 60? whats the highside?
Old 03-19-10, 12:15 PM
GS300NEGRO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
so your lowside pressure is 60? whats the highside?
Highside is 153psi
Old 03-19-10, 02:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Highside is 153psi
your lowside is to high. im afraid you maybe overcharged sir,did you check your pressures at a 45 mph idle.
Old 07-06-10, 06:26 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My A/C started doing this today. I was driving then all of a sudden the car kinda skipped (gradually accelerating) and the a/c light began to flash.
Old 07-07-10, 06:18 AM
poohunny
Rookie

wbmx1981, mine did the EXACT same thing a few days ago. I popped the hood and heard a hissing sound with the car off coming from the compressor area. My mechanic said that the compressor should be able to spin freely even when the car is off, but mine was seized and very difficult to turn. Since he put the dye in and could not detect where the leak was, he said it's probably a seal inside the compressor. So I ordered a remanned one off of ebay for 305 shipped and am waiting...

Onto the servos, so these things are made to "know the difference" between hot and cold air and the redirection of it? So if I am getting air evenly from all of my vents, it's safe to assume my leak is probably just the a/c compressor with clutch?
Old 07-07-10, 10:41 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Okay thanks. I told my mechanic he thinks it just needs freon, he is on his way now to have a look. I will update when it is fixed incase someone else is having the same problem.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 07-07-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 11:24 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

**Update** my mechanic came out and I found out that my a/c compressor is shot. He says when I replace the a/c compressor to also repalce the dryer and the expansion valve. Damn this sucks! Now I need to hunt for these parts. Does anyone recommend any online stores to buy these items? Is there a kit available?
Old 07-07-10, 11:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
Okay thanks. I told my mechanic he thinks it just needs freon, he is on his way now to have a look. I will update when it is fixed incase someone else is having the same problem.
99% of mechanics will diagnose it as needing freon....ESPECIALLY without ever seeing it or working on it. the truth is in the pressures....

and no im not saying it doesn't need freon im just saying most mechanics will always say this cause adding freon is a big money maker to them...they buy a jug of R-134 for like 170 or so and charge a outrageous amount per pound to add it
Old 07-07-10, 03:38 PM
poohunny
Rookie

are the drier and expansion valve absolutely necessary? I only ordered the A/C compressor and clutch for 305 shipped from ebay (reman)...wbmx1981, pm me if you want more details. =)

I know ideally everything should be replaced, but what is absolutely necessary when replacing an AC compressor, clutch, and freon? If all else is well, will replacing only the compressor/clutch do any harm by themselves?
Old 07-08-10, 09:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by poohunny
are the drier and expansion valve absolutely necessary? I only ordered the A/C compressor and clutch for 305 shipped from ebay (reman)...wbmx1981, pm me if you want more details. =)

I know ideally everything should be replaced, but what is absolutely necessary when replacing an AC compressor, clutch, and freon? If all else is well, will replacing only the compressor/clutch do any harm by themselves?
IMHO yes....but what do i know? i have only worked for a national HVAC supply house for ALMOST the last decade. i mean if you put this compressor in and the drier/expansion valve is clogged guess what....your gonna be doing this ALL over again. i also dont use used equipment..... would you want me to come to your house and put a used compressor in your house ac unit? doubtful, im not saying it wont work if you dont change it but im saying its not worth the trouble to me to find out that it wont work cause the drier is clogged or we
Old 07-08-10, 10:59 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

I was told when I replace the ac compressor to also replace the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve. Is this true or ploy for more money? Also the manual says to cover the lines so no dirt or moisture gets in, what is the best methond to cover the lines a rag, tape is there a special method to this?

Also I saw that Autozone has a Denso a/c compressor for $465 with the core is this a good buy those of you that have had to buy a new compressor. I shopped Autozone because I live near one.
Old 07-08-10, 11:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
I was told when I replace the ac compressor to also replace the receiver/dryer and the expansion valve. Is this true or ploy for more money? Also the manual says to cover the lines so no dirt or moisture gets in, what is the best methond to cover the lines a rag, tape is there a special method to this?
see the answer RIGHT above your first post to get my response on the drier/expansion valve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Blowing Hot Air