GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My car caught on fire tonight....

Old 11-04-08, 10:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have a "retail store" reciept per say. But I have all the paypal transaction history "reciepts". Not sure if that counts or not. Most of the stuff under the hood was custom order so it was all paid online.
Old 11-04-08, 10:19 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow jeff this sux !! sorry to see this iam sure you can fix it make it right again ..good luck with your rebuild
Old 11-04-08, 10:23 AM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff, don't get too worried about the situation. You have insurance coverage for a reason, you buy insurance for a reason. File the claim, they worse they can do is a say no. And if you feel like the money from the insurance company isn't worth it, DO NOT cash the check and call the insurance company that you no longer want an open claim. The insurance company doesn't care about anymore but payouts. Once you cancel the claim, nothing goes on record.

A simple fire accident will not increase your insurance premium, especially when you are not at fault. This isn't a moving violation, therefore nothing goes onto your driving record and nothing is surchargable. The only time a insurance premium can go up if you have a surchargable offense, such as speeding, running a redlight, at fault accident, etc.

Metlife does not rely on or accept repair shop's estimates. They have their own appraisal company. So the idea of having a shop do the estimate for lower than the value of the vehicle wouldn't work. However, if the shop have dealt with the adjuster in the past they will probably have a working relationship. If the car is appraised at $10k and damage is $11k, that car will be totalled. A way a shop might be able to help out here is, they can talk to the appraiser to see if there are items in the estimate that can be eliminate so that the car isn't totalled. This is an option if you don't want to buy the car back with a salvaged title. Working with a shop has another plus, they are the only one that can request for supplementary payouts (pay out for additional parts that can not be seens until the car is dissassembled).

One of the downfall is, if you are planning to fix the car yourself and save money but use a shop. They are either going to want to repair the car or get some money for their time.

As to the aftermarket part questions, they can blame it on anything they want to. They can't deny your claim. OEM parts can cause electrical fire also. The only thing is they don't have to pay for aftermarket parts. For instances, if you have a HKS turbo manifold and it is damaged, they will only pay for a OEM manifold. These appraisers don't know jack about cars, they rely on computer systems. If a manifold is needed to be paid for, they simply click on the diagram that shows a manifold.
Old 11-04-08, 10:30 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. You must of been so bump out. I've to agreed with Valet Dude..I'm sure you can get this baby up and running again.
Old 11-04-08, 10:54 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Geez...glad you're OK and you were able to save the car.

Calling the insurance company is always tricky....even if you dont plan to claim it....they will keep it in their record somewhere of this event...which affects how they insure you in the future.
Old 11-04-08, 10:58 AM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

just saw this jeff, sorry to hear about that, to think I was just over there, your gs was amazing, hope it all works out.
Old 11-04-08, 11:26 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
Geez...glad you're OK and you were able to save the car.

Calling the insurance company is always tricky....even if you dont plan to claim it....they will keep it in their record somewhere of this event...which affects how they insure you in the future.
Not true, only if he goes through (accepts a check or agree's on repairs) with the claim will it stay on record.
Old 11-04-08, 11:31 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang Jeff... all that hard work.. best of luck to ya.
Old 11-04-08, 11:32 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

*shaking head left and right*
Old 11-04-08, 11:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

jeff needs a hug
Old 11-04-08, 11:44 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so depressed seeing this Jeff my IS looked up to the GS as its big bro lol. Really hope you can save it. Far as insurance goes when i got my boosted IS i shopped some insurance compaies some wouldnt even cover it but state farm said they would cover any after market parts so long as i had a reciept for it. How that works for you since most of it was online i am not sure but paypal should have some kinna "reciepts"..
Old 11-04-08, 11:52 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

DUDE!!! Im so sorry to hear that Jeff!! Hope all is ok!!
Old 11-04-08, 11:54 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

depressing, but if anyone can get her back in tip top shape it's you man.

good luck fingers crossed she ain't totaled.
Old 11-04-08, 12:23 PM
scottgs
Pole Position

Glad that you are alright and sorry to hear about your car. Like stated above, file the claim to see what the insurance will do. If are you not happy with the answer or feel they are going to screw you, then drop the claim and do what you can yourself.
If they total it out, you might be able to buy it back from them at a serious discount and fix it yourself. Just some food for thought.........peace
Old 11-04-08, 12:25 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

damn Jeff...i dont even know where to begin to say something....

sorry about this but glad you are OK....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My car caught on fire tonight....