GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Stall on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 07:34 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GS400 Stall on Highway

diagnostics gave me a code p0715, so did water get into my turbine speed sensor on my transmission? my mechanic is sealing it.

Check engine light gone, but wondering if anyone has any input...

Quote:
"I was cruising at 70 MPH in the rain when my 98 GS400 with 100K miles stalled out on me, I was hitting the gas, and it is like the engine didn't want to go.

Car has a quarter tank of gas.

After pulling to the side of the road, it would restart, but as soon as I hit the gas, it would shut off again. I had to get it towed, where a flat bed raised it up, and brought it home. Tried starting it again, and it started right up, and now drives, but the check engine light is on. The tow truck guy said maybe something got stuck in my fuel pump, and the car just needs to be filled with gas.

How often is a fuel pump changed, and moreover, is this a common problem with a fuel pump going bad, or is this symptomatic of some other problem?

I am scared to drive it, in case the fuel pump is temperamental, but the car seems like it can drive fine now...

Thanks"
Old 10-02-08, 08:29 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

maybe change the fuel filter as a precaution, it cost like $40 and its easy to change. But check and see what the check engine code is for.
Old 10-02-08, 08:37 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of sounds as if someone pumped in the wrong gas the last time, and it kind of messed up the injectors. Change your oil, and fill up your tank with Premium. Make sure you go to a good gas station, and not the ones ran by the Indian Folk. ( no offense ) Most of them mix their gases, and ruin your engine.
Old 10-02-08, 08:58 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

the code is for your speed sensor
Old 10-02-08, 09:19 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 what swat said. 0715 is the speed sensor.

in an older car like that, wire insulations can begin to break down so water getting into the sensor's electrical workings with a rain soaked highway tossing water up at highway speeds.

as far as fuel filter, definitely change it if you havent looked at it yet. Odds are if it's gunked up, your tank has some gunk in it too. With only a quarter tank, youre liable to get some gunk sucked up into the fuel pump, which will drop back out when it shuts down. This is the main principle of the 'marbles in the gas tank' prank, in which a marble will get sucked up, block the inlet, and once the car cuts out, the marble will drop and allow it to run normally. This could be the root of your fuel cut problem.

get the speed sensor looked at, change the fuel filter, buy some lucasoil fuel system cleaner and put it in with your next fill up of AT LEAST 89 octane gas. If you still have the problem, you may need to have your gas tank cleaned out. If you STILL have the problem, it is a major tranny issue that needs to be looked at. However, I doubt that the tranny has any gaps big enough to allow a damaging amount of water inside, as i said, its probably the electrical connections to a sensor.
Old 10-03-08, 07:36 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is the speed sensor, cause the car runs fine now, and the check engine light has disappeared. So my mechanic will seal it up against the rain.

I had run out of gas only once, and once filled, the car ran fine again, some time back, so doubt that is the case. I did have a full tune up, spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, oil change, since now hit 100K miles. Anything else?

What does this speed sensor do, why would it shut down the whole transmission?
Old 10-03-08, 03:04 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE:
nd not the ones ran by the Indian Folk. ( no offense ) Most of them mix their gases, and ruin your engine.

dude comeon man... my family owns gas stations you get the gas usually conoco phillips with no ethnol and it goes straight into the tanks... nobody in the gas station industry including my family ever messes with the gas
its like saying go to the white ran 7-11 prolly still owned by an indian cuz they put stuff in the slurpees
this aint the 80s gas is usually not messed with 1 gal =1 gal
Old 10-03-08, 03:44 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4life86
RE:
nd not the ones ran by the Indian Folk. ( no offense ) Most of them mix their gases, and ruin your engine.

dude comeon man... my family owns gas stations you get the gas usually conoco phillips with no ethnol and it goes straight into the tanks... nobody in the gas station industry including my family ever messes with the gas
its like saying go to the white ran 7-11 prolly still owned by an indian cuz they put stuff in the slurpees
this aint the 80s gas is usually not messed with 1 gal =1 gal
you are absolutely incorrect, sir. Recently many Gulf/Cumberland Farms, in the northeast that i know of but maybe other places too, have been found guilty of watering down gas to stretch it farther and be able to sell more at a lower price. also, in my state, i know that a 10% ethanol blend is standard.

it's improper to generalize as it is because there will always be an anomaly, however with as many cases as there have been its naive to say that nobody messes with gas. Maybe your family doesn't and good for you guys because that's the way business should be done. but, saying that nobody messes with gas anymore.