GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do you value a car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 10:37 AM
csq860
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you value a car?

Hey people I need some opinions here, how do you set a value on a car you're considering buying? Do you go by kbb, nada, edmunds or some other "expert"? By year, by mileage, condition, modifications (or no mods), maybe some conglomeration of the above? Is newer better just cuz it's newer, regardless of miles?

I'm asking because I'm comparing two ads on here (full disclosure: one of the ads is mine) with GS4's for sale. Without going into too much detail one is a GS430 and one is a GS400, so obviously one has a 4.0 and one a 4.3, which may matter, but then again one has steering wheel shifters and one doesn't, which also may matter. The 430 is pretty much stock aside from chrome 17's, Magnaflow, and sat radio (not ML), the 400 has performance/appearence mods including Tanabe Medalion cat-back, SRT intake, 18" rims/tires staggered, lowered, etc., over $5k in mods, and Nak. Color, both silver. Interior, both clean as a whistle, the 430 is tan, the 400 is black. Age, the 400 is a '98, the 430 an '02, 4 years younger. Mileage? The 430 has more than twice as many miles...4 years younger but TWICE as many miles. Price: the 400 is $1500 more than the 430.

So here's where I need some input, the response to the GS400 (mine, if you didn't figure it out yet) has been zip, nada, which is ok cuz I'm not eager to sell really. I mean I'm willing but not really trying hard, I feel like I should sell the car and yet I love it and so I'm torn on it. Still I did throw it out there and got nothing in response, while the responses to the GS430 were along the lines of WOW, what a great price, somebody better ****** this up! And mind you the 430 IS a great looking car and, imo, IS a great price and good luck to the seller, I'm not trying to sound like sour grapes or over anything, I'm just looking for some genuine feedback on how people place a value when buying. One thing I did consider, do most buyers actually prefer a stocker so they can do their own mods?

So that's it, sorry it's kinda wordy, any constructive input is welcomed, thanks.
Old 07-16-08, 12:30 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

werd. well in my opinion i don't like high mileage vehicles especially on newer cars, you say 02 but what is the actual mileage?? in the real world people like stock cars and mostly only stock... you have to know your market for who are trying to sell a product to.. a 02 430 is more of a older crowd of folks + executive types but the price is probably much lower than original price so now your talking about a much larger marketability of people + a younger crowd could possibly afford it if it is appealing to them.. if they only see it for a car that their grandparents would buy then maybe mods would appeal to them more. but on this site i would think a car with some slight mods that have been taken care of in great condition with low miles would appeal most... to the real world most likely a more stock appearance but def. as clean as humanly possible.

i use kbb as a base line to start my own appraisal of what a car should be worth. i have purchased and sold more cars than the average 27 year old who does not work at a dealership and i almost always feel like i got a great deal,, by that i mean i am a cheap bastard and always talk people down from their original prices, so therefore i price my own vehicles a little above what i actually hope to and plan on getting in anticipation of them trying to talk me down as well. i don't know if the magnaflow exhaust on your car would be appealing during a test drive if it was not a younger person or a car enthusiast. with the gas prices the way they are it is not the time to sell a v8 or by that i mean you prob wont get as much for it. if you are really trying to sell it i would run an ad on autotrader.com it used to be like 55$ but now i think its like 75$ to run an ad until it sells plus to upload pics of it... this is the site i have used for the past 6 years or so to buy and sell the few cars i have owned...

other than the high mileage your car should sell if it is clean inside and out... just put an ad on autotrader price it accordingly and wait and see... plus see what others similar to yours are selling for on autotrader.com... if you haven't already just check out the site...!
Old 07-16-08, 12:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Some things I look at:
1. Paint work (I dont mind it that much as long as the job was done correctly and the seller is not trying to hide anything because that looks bad on their part).
2. Mileage (As long as I know the car I am researching and know their common problems, etc. mileage shouldn't be a big concern as long as the seller can show me maintanance records and I can see that the car drives like it should).
3. Condition of interior (Look at all th defects and make sure they are reflected in price)

These are some things that I value in a car.... it doesn't mean that I would look past a car just because its not up to my standards but if someone is asking say $10k for a beat up car with no maintanance just because it's a Lexus GS and is valued so by KBB I would think twice before closign the deal.
Old 07-16-08, 12:54 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would try to take as many factors into consideration as possible; kbb, vehicle condition, mileage, mods, others of the same type and caliber, area of country for sale etc.........set a price and see what happens. You may have to demod your car and drop the price if it's not moving like you need it to....if that doesn't bother you....then just be patient. These forums are not always the best market for selling a car. I like to clean it up and park it out in a busy area on the weekend with a f/s sign in the window......seems like I have alot of luck with this method.

I have a super sharp Z06 for sale......and I thought it would move quickly.......but have had it for sale now for a couple of months....not much activity at all. Maybe it's the economy that partially to blame?

Be patient...it will sell.
Old 07-16-08, 03:52 PM
NBart
Pole Position

Something else to keep in mind, your car is 4 years older than the GS 430. What I mean is, your technology is dated and people are not interested in spending more money for old technology. I agree that gas prices are affecting the selling prices of vehicles. I do work for a Lexus dealer and see this happening every day. The best way to sell your car is to look at the sale from the buyers point of view. Yes the car is in better shape than the GS430 with fewer miles and with more options/mods, but that is not what the buyer is looking for. Most want to do the work themselves, so they can get the satisfaction that you acheived when you moded your car. I suggest putting the car back to stock and selling the mods in the classifieds, you will make all your money back, provided they are in good condition and there are not a lot of them listed for sale.

As for pricing you vehicle. Look at what KBB and NADA say the trade in value and suggested retail value are. Take a number somewhere in the middle and add a couple of hundred to the price. Remembering that the buyer can also look up this information to determine what price they sshould pay.

I will leave you with this. I sold my 02 GS300 two months ago for 16500 and purchased it 1.5 years ago for 18500. I put 35000 miles on it, but I priced it right in the middle of the available allowences for KBB. Trade in value at the dealer was only 11000, which pissed me off, but they were looking to steal it. I did sell my mods in the classifieds and got all my money back plus some. It was a perfect world situation, but that is not to say it can't happen to you.
Old 07-16-08, 08:36 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Interesting and thought provoking points, one and all. Being able to get ideas and opinions from you guys is the best thing about this forum, for me. Thanks.