GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bought a can of Seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 10:38 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

first time i heard seafoam messing up o2 sensors.....guess it doesnt help mine are already fugged up. good luck with everything Nick.
Old 07-14-08, 10:48 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Joe.

Guys BTW, another tidbit of info.

I had/have a crack in my Y-pipe for the last year that is unrepairable by many shops I went to so I decided to buy a new one. I ordered it 2 weeks ago from Carson and got it on Friday. A friend of mine came over yesterday and we attempted to install the new Y-pipe (we did the seafoam right after). However, we never actually got the old Y-pipe off because of 1 damn rusty bolt and we didn't have a torch to cut it off. So we re-bolted up the old Y-pipe; I am bringing my car to his friend's shop this Friday to put it up on the lift and do it right. Could this have been part of my problem? Maybe some of the exhaust gaskets became unsettled when we took most of the bolts out?
Old 07-14-08, 10:58 AM
Bliggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet if you can get the code cleared it will not come back and you will be fine
Old 07-14-08, 04:49 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Code PO420 has to do with Catalytic Converter flow. You did not have that problem before using SEAFOAM. The product caused a lot of carbon to break loose and get into the catalytic converter. I am sure it will burn off with a little more driving.

I have to ask:
1. How the vehicle is running? Is it smooth or does it seem choked up?

If it runs smooth, chances are the code set when the flow was interrupted by the dirt in the system.

I think that you should drive it for a day or two and then reset the faults at Autozone again. Once everything is back to normal, the light should stay off. I have my own code reader, so I can reset the computer anytime I want.

Please give it a try before buying new O2 sensors. if you need them, you need them, but make sure before spending extra cash. It is obvious you had a lot of crap in your intake system, so now it is burning out.
Thanks
Old 07-14-08, 05:51 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do some WOT punches with the car up to temp
Old 07-15-08, 05:47 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys...just checking in...

The latest and greatest, yesterday when I got back from lunch (from Autozone) I disconnected the neg. battery terminal (again) and left it off for about 3 hours until I got off. After I reconnected it I let the car idle for 5 minutes and drove home; no CEL what so ever and the car runs smooth! I didn't want to post up just yet because I wanted to drive it more. So, this morning driving back in to work ~15 miles again no CEL; I am very happy (so far). You guys were right, I guess I just had to wait a little while to let all the carbon get out of my system. Thanks for the advice to all!

Oh, BTW I asked this question a couple of times already; does anybody know how many o2 sensors the GS400 has and their locations? My car has 101,500 miles on it and the o2 sensors are the originals from 2000. My car has been getting real bad gas mileage (aside from my higher rear gearing and PI TC) for the last year or so (maybe 15mpg - 65%city/35%hwy mix). I heard that when these things "start" to go they really hurt performance and gas mileage but without throwing a CEL until they are shot. Do you think it is good at this stage in the game to just change them all out to new (I found a place on-line for OEM ones with the connectors for $65/ea? I am keeping the car for another 3 years (paid it off in 5 mos).
Old 07-15-08, 03:31 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex

The latest and greatest, yesterday when I got back from lunch (from Autozone) I disconnected the neg. battery terminal (again) and left it off for about 3 hours until I got off. After I reconnected it I let the car idle for 5 minutes and drove home; no CEL what so ever and the car runs smooth! I didn't want to post up just yet because I wanted to drive it more. So, this morning driving back in to work ~15 miles again no CEL; I am very happy (so far). You guys were right, I guess I just had to wait a little while to let all the carbon get out of my system. Thanks for the advice to all!

Oh, BTW I asked this question a couple of times already; does anybody know how many o2 sensors the GS400 has and their locations? My car has 101,500 miles on it and the o2 sensors are the originals from 2000. My car has been getting real bad gas mileage (aside from my higher rear gearing and PI TC) for the last year or so (maybe 15mpg - 65%city/35%hwy mix). I heard that when these things "start" to go they really hurt performance and gas mileage but without throwing a CEL until they are shot. Do you think it is good at this stage in the game to just change them all out to new (I found a place on-line for OEM ones with the connectors for $65/ea? I am keeping the car for another 3 years (paid it off in 5 mos).
I'm glad to hear the problem is solved

Regarding the o2 sensors, there should be four. On each side there is one next to the header and one after the cat (2 per side, four total). What you should do to improve your mileage is do a tune up and if the mileage doesn't improve then the poor gas mileage may be caused by the o2 sensors.

Check your tire pressure too.
Old 02-28-18, 01:36 PM
Lexus62
Driver School Candidate

Default Throwing P0330 Code

Not GS300 however I have Sc430 had the spark plugs changed, had a coil changed out. Car ran great. Next day questioned the spark plugs they used.Due to it was dragging.. They did not use the ones I asked. So they put the DENSO in. NOT ONLY did they do this they use SEAFOAM in my car on an empty tank in which I am still driving that tank of gas out. Car had power but today it threw a P0330. And its not as powerful as the car should be. Mechanic says its misfiring bring it back when the light comes back on the VSC. I asked what the code was he said it meant it was a random misfire. SOOO advice before I have to go to Lexus .. what is going on
Old 02-28-18, 04:35 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex

Check your air filter. It might not be flowing well. If it hasn't been changed in over 10k miles.