GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

60mph Vibrations - DIY Steering Tensioner Adjustment

Old 06-22-08, 05:14 AM
quickex99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenkaniff
Can someone explain this step to me? I'm stupid.

3: Use a flat head screw driver and a hammer to take out the the nut that secures the tensioner in place. Hit it on an angle untill it comes out. Use w40 and be patient.
I beleive he means after you have loosned the bolt with a socket wrench or open end wrench.. then you would angle the screw driver behind the bolt head and the hit the screw driver with the hammer to completely take the bolt out of the hole.

Please correct me if im wrong.. thanks
Old 06-22-08, 06:34 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm lost on that too
Old 06-22-08, 09:03 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He means loosening the locknut around the pre-tenioner bolt thats about 2" in diameter.

I would recommend using a lock-nut opener that can take 2" lock-nut or get your hands on a wide mouth vice-grips or adjustable spanner.
Old 06-22-08, 09:39 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought to loosen it that's why u have the bolt?
or inside that bolt is there another bolt?
Old 12-08-08, 11:05 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it seems to me like you would just insert your makeshift little bolt into the tensioner, IIRC there's nothing to remove in doing this mod...I just did the daizen bushings a little while back and i remember from being under the car there wasn't a lock nut or anything...
Old 12-08-08, 12:55 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
it seems to me like you would just insert your makeshift little bolt into the tensioner, IIRC there's nothing to remove in doing this mod...I just did the daizen bushings a little while back and i remember from being under the car there wasn't a lock nut or anything...
there is a locking nut. although i couldn't EVER get it loose, i didnt like the idea of taking a hammer and hammering a flat head to loosen it but maybe i'll try it again. oh FYI u dont have to completely remove this locking nut just loosen it AND before you start turning the other nut make sure you mark where you started with a sharpie so you can easily go back to the beginning if you need

tried with this wrench we sell at work BUT still couldnt get the locking nut off.

u can see the locking nut better in this pic, its on the outside of where the bolt we made goes!

or you can see a cleaned off version of the locking nut in post #17 in this post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-fixed-2.html

i made the mechanic special tool.....

took a bolt that fit inside the steering tensioner, put it on a OLD socket extension and welded it on, then sanded the weld down so its outta the way

the backside of the bolt that fits into the steering tensioner

the front side where you can use a socket wrench

the whole assy

loose in the steering tensioner this IS NOT PUSHED ALL THE WAY IN FOR THE PICS

CLOSE UP different angle

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
Just adding this....
Can it be that tightening the steering tensioner is just covering up another problem by just making the steering tighter and covering up whatever that little vibration is??
i stole the above post from the original topic. post # 196
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fixed-14.html

seems you changed your mind bout it being a "band-aid" hehehe. i need to go ahead and re-try this as that stupid shake is annoying me more and more

Last edited by sakataj; 12-08-08 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 03:12 PM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok- I think i got it. The lock ring is more like a jam nut. When you're talking about using the screw driver and hammer you aren't trying to pry it off. You're trying to loosen to so that the nut other peice can be turned. And then you'd re-tighten the jam nut.
Old 12-08-08, 03:18 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I had that wrench when I did mine.
let us know how it goes..
Old 12-09-08, 02:29 PM
nsf0607
Pole Position

Great writeup!

This is added to the DIY sticky
Old 12-09-08, 02:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pwesseler
Ok- I think i got it. The lock ring is more like a jam nut. When you're talking about using the screw driver and hammer you aren't trying to pry it off. You're trying to loosen to so that the nut other peice can be turned. And then you'd re-tighten the jam nut.
yes....your def not trying to pry it off your using the screwdriver to loosen the locking nut! n then yes u would retighten the nutt

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
I wish I had that wrench when I did mine.
let us know how it goes..
yeah u would think that. i got that wrench from our warehouse specifically cause it looked like it will fit on there AND it does, but i cant get it from slipping off. will have to try it on the rack and see how she goes!

Originally Posted by nsf0607
Great writeup!

This is added to the DIY sticky
cool, but people need to realize this is done as a LAST effort,most of us went through new ball joints,control arms,brakes,tie rods, alignments (regular and road force),tires (as some peoples are flat spottin), tranny/motor mounts,etc etc trying to get this issue sorted and they shouldnt just start with this as they might have some other issue first! an as of the present i still havent gotten mine sorted but i will reattempt this adjustment and see if i can FINALLY loosen that dang locking nut and hopefully rid myself of that annoying shake. i dont recommend messing with a factory sealed steering rack but im at a wits end on such a nice luxury car so even i'm gonna cave and re-try this.

so i noticed recently u been back on nsf0607 where did you go and what took u so long to come back?
Old 12-09-08, 06:40 PM
nsf0607
Pole Position

sakataj wrote
so i noticed recently u been back on nsf0607 where did you go and what took u so long to come back?
Been very busy, but back now for a little while until thing get crazy again. I have tried to update the DIY thread with new links. Everyone has been very busy working on their GS. Good to see! Thanks for the links everyone
Old 12-10-08, 05:40 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

This is great information! Thanks!!
Old 12-10-08, 09:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nsf0607
sakataj wrote

Been very busy, but back now for a little while until thing get crazy again. I have tried to update the DIY thread with new links. Everyone has been very busy working on their GS. Good to see! Thanks for the links everyone
well glad to have you back. good to see someone so helpful back on. your 1st post was/is incredibly helpful to noobs and ogs. im not sure what you call the people in between though
Old 12-24-08, 07:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

has ne1 ever tried this? im thinking of doing this

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...1&#entry345931

http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/gs.html

Low durometer polyurethane replacement for worn OEM rubber bushings. Solves most irregular tire wear problems and highway speed driveability problems. Complete kits come with bushings and special synthetic grease. Style may vary from illustration depending on vehicle application.
Year Model Type Part No. Price
98-99 Lexus GS300/400 Front G2-2002 $99.95

00-05 Lexus GS300/400/430 Front G2-2002A $99.95

(One kit services all arms on front of one vehicle)
Old 12-24-08, 09:00 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
well glad to have you back. good to see someone so helpful back on. your 1st post was/is incredibly helpful to noobs and ogs. im not sure what you call the people in between though
edit: WOULD be helpful to noobs if they searched the damn thing now and then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 60mph Vibrations - DIY Steering Tensioner Adjustment