GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY – GS300 – clear tails – amber removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 03:08 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would it be easier to just use a dremel and cut it open? I'm pretty sure you wont have those stress crack when you try to get it open. Anyone want to chime in using a dremel? I havent done it myself but I'm planning on trying it soon.
Old 08-04-08, 07:58 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you guys replace the bulbs with amber or just left it alone? I wonder if the clear light would look better than amber.
Old 08-05-08, 06:05 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh side note on this:
I do not put the lenses totally in the oven and this keeps the heat off the fragile lense. I open the door and place then inbetween the crack of the door and the oven with the black part down towards the oven. The heat rises up into the lense fine and keeps the direct heat off the hard exterior lense part. I also use latex gloves and a small flat head. You pry one corner off and use your hands to pull the rest slowly. It burns a tad on your finger tips, but you get used to it quick.

As far as the amber bulbs, according to some state laws, you need amber, so I would check. I put the Hyper White bulbs in mine, as they look better, but not legal LOL.
Old 08-05-08, 09:50 PM
LexusK
Racer

Just checked and Texas state law says that my lights can either be white or amber. Id better not get pulled over by some cop..lol.

Hey scottgs, which bulbs did you get? Sylvania hyperwhite? Could you maybe post a vid or pictures of your tail lights with the turn signal on? Thanks!

Last edited by LexusK; 08-05-08 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 05:49 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Yes I put the Sylvania hyperwhite's in mine. I dont have a pic right this second, as my car is getting a full detail job, repainting of bumpers and new tires. In fact I havent had much of a chance to get any pics of the car yet, but will get some by this weekend.

Oh and I guess I was referring to the ricers around town with the bluish tinted bulbs, as the local Cops dont like those at all. Hyperwhites are fine though.
Old 08-06-08, 07:48 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I wonder if this would work using a heat gun prying up small sections at a time? I might try it this way seeing the problems some of you are having.
Old 08-06-08, 08:13 PM
scottgs
Pole Position

Yes a heat gun would work but the problem you are dealing with is time. You have a limited amount of time to pull the lense apart from the body as the tar material cools quickly and therefore makes it hard to do. You cant just do a small part at a time without damaging the lense. Plus its hard to keep it apart while you are heating up another area.
Old 08-07-08, 03:24 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusK
Did you guys replace the bulbs with amber or just left it alone? I wonder if the clear light would look better than amber.
I bought chrome amber bulbs for less than $15 including shipping from eBay. This way they're legal (amber) but the chrome makes the lens continue to appear "clear".

Do an eBay search under "7443 Chrome Amber 21w Wedge Bulbs" and they'll pop up.
Old 08-08-08, 11:20 AM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Anyone know if in cali we can have red bulbs? If so are there chrome bulbs that blink red out there?
Old 08-08-08, 11:40 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

I believe its this way in most states that "no none emergency vehicle can have red, blue, purple and green lights in the front of the car". But its always good to get 100% before you end up getting harassed by the locals.
Old 08-17-08, 01:51 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

jrigg, did you replace the bulbs? If so what color? Thanks.

BTW. Do you have any pics with the tail lights on?
Old 08-17-08, 09:58 AM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shvc1991
jrigg, did you replace the bulbs? If so what color? Thanks.

BTW. Do you have any pics with the tail lights on?
Pics are in the first post....the very last photo is his car w/them mounted. You can use amber bulbs to make sure you're legal but they'll leave an orange "glow" in the clear area of the tail light; reusing your stock bulb may leave you susceptible to being pulled over as the turn indicators are supposed to be amber or red. I purchased chrome amber bulbs off of eBay and they work great.
Old 08-20-08, 08:39 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

ProfesrLEX:
Wow talk about some bad luck sorry to hear yours didn't turn out so good

jonny2k:
great way to describe how to use the flat head to open the headlights up

Vincent123:
i thought about it but dremeling leaves tons and tons of plastic fragments all over you and they are a pain, also your still going to have to apply heat to get some of the glue you can't cut to come loose. also i wanted as much of the light to stay intact as possible (little cutting as possible). the only stress cracks in mine you have to be inchs from to see. thats good enough for me.

LexusK/shvc1991:
i left the stock bulbs in but now i have chrome ones that blink amber, you cannot see them unit they blink

DHRP:
some guys have tried this method, for some reason to me it seems it would be more likely to crack as not all the glue would be loose and some spots would hold on real tight

ProfesrLEX:
when i picked up my amber blinking chromes autozone also had red blinking chromes

shvc1991:
do you mean with the turn signals on? or the lights installed
Old 08-20-08, 11:51 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

yeah, about the chrome bulbs that blink amber or red, i read many people complaining that they arent bright enough on sunny days to be seen by other peeps on the road. wouldnt want to risk it. I just ordered some polarg red bulbs to tie me over until i can find the most powerful red led turn signal bulbs i can get my hands on. Im thinking of the ones that have 32 leds, most of them aiming sideways to illuminate the chrome housing rather than straight back.
Old 08-21-08, 01:00 AM
LexusK
Racer

Hmm, let us know when you do. Im going to hold off on this until I can find a replacement bulb too.

Quick Reply: DIY – GS300 – clear tails – amber removal