GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Car gets stolen from a LEXUS dealership

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 12:20 AM
igoslow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car gets stolen from a LEXUS dealership

I dropped my car off at a Lexus dealership, that will remain nameless right now, for A/C diagnostics. I called the dealership to see what the problem was and to pick it up following the weekend and boom.. No car. Seems that while it was double parked with the key in it someone jumps the fence and takes off with the car. Made a police report and I asked for a loaner car, seeing how I have nothing to drive. the service rep that was in charge of my car says he will talk to the manager and gm to see what he can do. About 2 weeks have passed and no loaner car and very few calls from lexus with help of any kind. Got a call from the police a few days ago that the car was recovered.. I went to the tow company it was stored at and the car is pretty much total. (98 gs400) And all of my personal effects gone. Of course.. Although the didn't take the nice black/burlwood shift **** i just bought,.. lucky me =|

I am an easy going guy, figured they have insurance and they will take care of everything. Wasn't even mad about not getting a loaner car. I came in today to talk with a manager and this is where I started to get angry. They offered me 2000 and will help me look for a new car from there overpriced used lot.... I was like you are kidding 2k. stuff I had in the car totaled close to 1500. And we went on talking about what the car was worth etc etc. And i was like that's not even the point how old or what condition. I loved my car and i didn't asked for it to be stolen. It was a big inconvenience to have to borrow my girls car to get around in and I have had no help for the dealership what so ever and not even calls to see what we could work out. I had to call them every time to update them or ask what they were going to do. He asked what do you think you should get for the car. I told him suggested retail value for the car plus the cost of my belongings.. Very fair correct? He prints out a KBB and it suggest 6k in fair condition. He wanted to subtract the fact that my AC was broken. (1000) i was like no way. If my car gets totaled an accident, no ac, no windows spare tires for wheels and insurance will still give me a fair price. I've never seen such poor customer service from a lexus dealership who got me car stolen. Now i have a meeting with the GM/owner of the dealership tomorrow to "negotiate a price." And they said they will be taking a hit in there pocket for this... What they don't have insurance??? What the dealership doesn't make millions a year... BASTARDS!!! lol

I am calling lexus of north america tomorrow before my meeting with the GM of this local dealership..

What is everybody's opinion????

**UPDATE

Just got done speaking with lexus Corp and the GM. Lexus corp said that each lexus dealership are individually owned and operated. They will call and check with that dealership to see if they could help speed the entire process up but that's the most they could do. Sucks...

Spoke with the GM and he was pretty nice and said he will help with anything that has to come out of my own pocket. He also says he was not aware of the loaner car situation and will get one to me right away. But still says that, as a dealership, every customer when bringing in there car for any kind of service the dealership is not responsible for theft, damages, fires, etc etc... And every customer signs off on it. Ofcourse they don't explain that to you when you sign off on the paper which states the cost of the diagnostics...

Looks like my insurance will have to do the work.... This sucks..

**Update #2
Dealership is Lexus of Las Vegas

I did get legal advice from a friend who is a lawyer. Forgot about it because she manages her husbands dentist office. But she said noting i sign is admissible in court. She says it's consider basic language and they cannot use that if i do decide to sue them.

I put the claim on my insurance just to speed things up and they will talk to me tomorrow about how everything will be handled.

If they don't total the car I will take legal action against him because the car will never be the same.. Suspension is smashed in the front.

If they do total the car, I will take the insurance money plus the money he offers me as well from the dealership and start shopping for a new car.

I know I can probably get more out of the situation, but as long as i get everything back I'm a happy camper.

Update # 3

FUDGE IT. After reading alot of you guys post I'm going tp get off my nice horse and get on a little angrier one. I just changed the timing/water pump/2 front wheel bearings/ two lower ball joints/ and abs senor. GM said he couldn't reimburse me because that's just maintenance that has to be done to keep driving the car. . All replaced before i drove my car from Texas to Vegas.. so about 3000 miles ago. But now that i think about it. THAT'S BS. He should reimburse for parts and the labor i put in. If it wasn't for his dealership than all that money wouldn't have been lost. Not to mention all my stuff in the car.. Will keep you guys updated...

Last edited by igoslow; 06-02-08 at 11:21 PM. Reason: UPDATE number 3
Old 05-31-08, 12:45 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF...on the bright side, if they don't find your car, you'll get a new one...

pretty irresponsible on their part considering most dealership often block their entrance and exit with cars
Old 05-31-08, 12:53 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I would definately contact lexus corporate for this matter. Lexus dealership shouldnt allow such thing to happen on their private lot. I wish you the best and hopefully you get what your car is worth and the cost of all your belongings.
Old 05-31-08, 12:57 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be calling a lawyer about now. They got your car stolen, that should be replaced by the dealership. That's crazy that they'd even try to jack you for the price of the A/C repair, they didn't even know what was wrong with it, what if it just needed a recharge? that's like 70 bucks tops, not 1000.

You should definitely get a lawyer on this case.
Old 05-31-08, 12:57 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lexus of north america

sorry to hear about your car and the crappy service that your getting. in my oppion they simpily owe you a new car no ifs and but about it just for the fact that 1. you had to fine out yourself that it was stolen for two weeks! 2. the idiot still wanted to charge you the $1k still for the AC so call fixed.... 3. the fact that a loaner was'nt even provided afterward...incoveince!!! this all really pissed me off to hear

contact lexus of north america and f that dealership. get them in trouble! get what they owe! RAWR!!!

man i am more pissed off than you are.
Old 05-31-08, 12:59 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Originally Posted by Kaydee
WTF...on the bright side, if they don't find your car, you'll get a new one...

pretty irresponsible on their part considering most dealership often block their entrance and exit with cars
Got a call from the police a few days ago that the car was recovered.. I went to the tow company it was stored at and the car is pretty much total. (98 gs400) And all of my personal effects gone

Damn .. 2k ?? f that ... with broken out windows they should pay No less that 6500 or 7k IMO ...and on there lot and they took the loaner back ?? sheet ... call lexus corp .. and let the rain begin .. let me know how your new ls460 will be driving it ..
Old 05-31-08, 01:15 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Originally Posted by BippuPxr
let me know how your new ls460 will be driving it ..
i want to know too!

keep us posted, i am really intrested how lexus corp. deal with this.
Old 05-31-08, 01:21 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuPxr
let me know how your new ls460 will be driving it ..
Most likely he's gonna jump ship and get a BMW or Benz lol. If the dealership still brickwalls you and Lexus NA doesn't do anything. I'd say take it to the news and get them to do a report. That usually gets the corporate asses squirming.

I've pretty much given up any faith in warranties. I voided the warranty on my car obviously, but before I did the dealership wouldn't fix a trunk hinge on my car. Same thing on my parents LX470, they don't cover warranty on a starter that has 30k miles! Oh well, I know I won't be buying new from now on lol.
Old 05-31-08, 01:31 AM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would first go to KBB and Edmunds and price out your car with all your options. I put in some general info and it's worth $7,700 retail at Edmunds and they generally have lower values then KBB. I would then search auto trader and your local ads to find a car that is close to what you had. Compare the three to come up with a reasonable price that you are willing to settle for. Go to their lot incognito and see if you like any of their cars. If you do, look up what they are worth on the same sites, then bring all info with you and tell the dealer either you want the cash or a credit for $XXX amount against a certain car. Just make sure you price all the cars at the same level ie retail, third party or trade-in.
Old 05-31-08, 01:33 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Another place you may try is the BBB
Old 05-31-08, 03:25 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

damn thats BS sorry to hear that
Old 05-31-08, 04:25 AM
TonY_G
Driver

I understand the dealership messed up bigtime! but don't you have insurance?

Usually weather it's their fault or not, your insurance covers it and than gets it from their insurance....
Old 05-31-08, 04:56 AM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

tell em to give u a brand new 08 GS..there should be no reason why they should leave the keys in the car in the first place..get a lawyer on this asap and u might end up with more than an 08 GS..thats jus my opinion..hope all works out
Old 05-31-08, 06:15 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW......

Id contact Lexus corp. first to see if they are willing to do sum damage control.
Old 05-31-08, 06:15 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Your insurance should cover this unless you're only carrying liability. A lawyer will take his share of a settlement, so that could cost you a couple of grand. Get rid of the easy going guy inside you and stand up to the dealership and make reasonable demands. Getting Lexus Corp. involved is a good idea. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: My Car gets stolen from a LEXUS dealership