GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Downgrading Rims: MMR HR2 to ASA AR1 - Thoughts? Comments? Flames?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 11:28 AM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Downgrading Rims: MMR HR2 to ASA AR1 - Thoughts? Comments? Flames?

How's it going ClubLexus. Here's the situation. Right now, I have 19' MMR HR2 Gunmetal rims on my ride right now:

Here are the details: 19' MMR HR2 Staggered Machined wheels w/Kumho Ecsta - F/245/35/19 ... R/275/35/19

I think they're beautiful and look awesome on the 2GS. However, they're in bad shape. They came on the car when I bought it, and has a lot of curb rash and some chipping. One of the rear rims was not holding air (which of course the seller didn't tell me) and I had it welded and it seems to be holding fine, though it does leak much faster than the other rims. One has a bend in the outermost part of the rim where it should be round, but it flattens out a bit.

I also have A LOT OF STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION. It's super annoying. I got my ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, Daizen steering rack bushings, and Daizen control arm bushings replaced. To no avail. I still have the horrid shake at 55mph-70mph. I could sometimes feel it at above 70mph too, but it's slight. I'm hoping getting new rims would fix this.

I could technically just buy 2 replacement rims and slap them on the rear. However, I want to go for a black on black menacing look. So I want black rims. I even bought a Black Chrome 'L' Emblem! Eventually, I want to get black chrome door handles, license plate chrome bar, and smoked taillights. But I'm hella broke right now and going back to school so that's gotta wait.

After much shopping around, I have settled on the ASA AR1s in an 18inch size. Here are how they look on importart's ride, I hope he doesn't mind:

I want to go for an 18" rim because I have TRD front and rear sway bars & strut bars on there now. It's a pretty harsh ride. It's not dropped. Stock springs and shocks. I think if I were to move to a smaller rim, it'd help with the harsh feeling of the car, tired of getting my a$$ rocked over every bump. If I were to get L-tuned springs, would this help the harshness or hurt it?

What do you guys think of the ASA's? Would it be a huge drop in the style department? Would I be taking a step back in having a hot ride? I read many reviews on the ASA AR1s and apparently they're a very good rim for their cheap price. People have said they ride decent and they hold up well. BBS apparently worked with ASA on these rims. I believe they share a factory somewhere and work together on many models. I was thinking of getting BBS center caps and being wacksauce. I might get sense knocked into me and just get stock Lexus center caps on there.

Do you guys have any experience with ASA rims?

What is your input? Please don't be afraid to be blunt!

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-28-08, 11:39 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

not bad...just got dump the car now..
Old 05-28-08, 11:41 AM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have any personal experience on either mmr or asa, but i must say that the mmr looked alot better than the asa's... although the asa doesn't look bad, you should have saved up for 19's or 20's... 18's just look too small on a GS. and black wheels with polish lips makes em look even smaller. just my 0.02.....

oh, and uh.... dont do the bbs caps.

just dont
Old 05-28-08, 11:51 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man the MMR look so sweet on your car, I would just go back to stock, into you get some nicer or bigger wheels than those ASA's
Old 05-28-08, 12:36 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I think the 18's would make your car look sportier, if you get it lowered just right as I've seen on other GS's with 18's. The current rims look great though too...can you spend a little to just get them refinished and all that?
Old 05-28-08, 12:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the MRR rims better. You car looks great. Is sending the rims out not an option? There are many places that can repair the rims and save you the hassle of new tires and rims??
Old 05-28-08, 01:19 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I guess sending them out is an option. They still won't look new though. I heard sending them out to a wheel repair place is real expensive and often not worth it. If it's a couple hundred bucks, I might as well just get one or two spares. Some places still have this style in stock.

But I guess I want a change too.

You guys don't like the black on black look?

By the way, if I were to get 22's, would I have to get the fender rolled? I'm also looking at some 22s black rims.

What do you think?
Old 05-28-08, 06:38 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

keep the old ones for sure. the asa makes ur car look sooo cheap. i am never into the black rims
Old 05-28-08, 06:40 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

ASA's look really cheapy. The MRR's look much cleaner on your car. Just put your stocks back on and have them repaired.
Old 05-28-08, 07:11 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

i dunno, if the MMR's have already been repaired then i think you should just get rid of them and put your stock wheels on, if they were included when you bought the car. just be patient and wait for a great opportunity to buy you WANT to have, not wheels you sorta kinda need.
Old 05-28-08, 07:19 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have hub rings for the MMR? Lots of times (given the wheels are balanced correctly), there vibration is b/c there's no hub ring.

My thoughts are keep the MMR and get them fixed. They look great

Edwin
Old 05-28-08, 08:02 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

forget the asa's.
take your time, save $, continue to look for wheels you'd really like, then get them.
Old 05-28-08, 08:45 PM
kit cat

slam the GS and it'll look a lot better. I actually like ASA, BBS got their back!
Old 05-28-08, 10:28 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the original rim you had , just need to get them refinished .. IMO

the 18s do look small and when Not slammed they look smaller
Old 05-28-08, 11:07 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

They'll look good but why 18's. I always thought 18's are too small.

Quick Reply: Downgrading Rims: MMR HR2 to ASA AR1 - Thoughts? Comments? Flames?