GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What a difference cleaning the MAF and air filter makes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 09:58 AM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 gs 300 - Sorry for the large pics

It is real simple. Thought it would be a lot harder. I cleaned out my MAF and TB the other day. Hardest part I would say is the TB since you have to use a long stick or flat head with a soft cloth at the end to clean deep inside. I use TB and Air filter cleaner by STP and CRC MAF. Here are the two pics of the products I bought both from autozone.

and

Old 01-26-10, 10:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BklynJay
It is real simple. Thought it would be a lot harder. I cleaned out my MAF and TB the other day. Hardest part I would say is the TB since you have to use a long stick or flat head with a soft cloth at the end to clean deep inside. I use TB and Air filter cleaner by STP and CRC MAF. Here are the two pics of the products I bought both from autozone.

and

same 2 products i bought from them and used. results are great afterwards
Old 01-26-10, 10:50 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

CRC works wonders... great product..
Old 01-26-10, 09:56 PM
ekivtec
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rebuilding and cleaning the T/B will increase gas mileage and also throttle response in some cases... But should only clean the MAF sensor with Alcohol, the sensor is very sensitive and some cleaners leave a film that attracts dirt and grim....
Old 01-26-10, 10:05 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ekivtec
rebuilding and cleaning the T/B will increase gas mileage and also throttle response in some cases... But should only clean the MAF sensor with Alcohol, the sensor is very sensitive and some cleaners leave a film that attracts dirt and grim....
Im sticking with CRC maf cleaner. Aint trying to apply Alcohol. The Spray works the best.
Old 03-19-10, 06:16 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this correct?

1. Disconnect battery
2. Disconnect MAF
3. Clean MAF with CRC
4. Replace MAF
5. Replace battery.
Old 03-19-10, 08:51 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Is this correct?

1. Disconnect battery
2. Disconnect MAF
3. Clean MAF with CRC
4. Replace MAF
5. Replace battery.
Yes, that is correct. While your at it might as well clean the throttle body too.
Old 03-20-10, 06:05 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

What kind of air flow sensor do GS 300's have because I bought the CRC stuff and it said not to use on Karman Vortex sensors. It specifically said supras and most Lexus vehicles. I found literature that said 2jz-ge and 1uz-fe's have it, I'm sure they were referring to gen I ge's. I don't know if Lexus changed it for gen II engines. JeffT where are you?
Old 03-20-10, 06:08 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tiger4life
What kind of air flow sensor do GS 300's have because I bought the CRC stuff and it said not to use on Karman Vortex sensors. It specifically said supras and most Lexus vehicles. I found literature that said 2jz-ge and 1uz-fe's have it, I'm sure they were referring to gen I ge's. I don't know if Lexus changed it for gen II engines. JeffT where are you?
I believe we have hotwire Sensor. I could be wrong. I've been using the CRC on my GS3 MAF Sensor w/o any problems. Just make sure you let it air dry for a few mins.
Old 03-31-10, 06:45 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I decided to clean my MAF & TB but the results do not appear to be good. I bought CRC MAF cleaner also CRC TB cleaner for the job. I started by removing the negative battery cable and the 20 amp fuse to reset the ECU while I cleaned. I remove the screws and unloosen clamps as mentioned in the DIY. I then unscrew and remove the MAF sensor and sprayed it about three times. I did not drown it in fluid but just did 3 small quick sprays and allowed it to air dry. For the TB, I used the TB cleaner and sprayed it it on the cotton towel and then wiped inside of it. I also sprayed a little bit of it inside on the metal flap twice to remove additional gunk and then wiped with the towel. After making sure all was dry, I installed everything back and started the car. Immediately I noticed a difference in how the car felt during idle. I've always had a smooth idle but now it is rough. I figure I give it a few minutes but that didn't help. So I take it for a spin and the rough idle continued. Even at a red light with my foot on the brake, the car felt rough. I drove on regular streets and also went on the highway for a total of about 15 minutes. The car seems to accelerate much quicker which may be the result of the ecu being reset. A little too late now but I'll double check everything tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss anything. I read on another thread that car will need to get "accustomed" after the cleaning I did. Just want to know if anyone experienced this after cleaning those parts and what was done to resolve it. Any tips would be helpful.
Old 03-31-10, 10:03 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
So I decided to clean my MAF & TB but the results do not appear to be good. I bought CRC MAF cleaner also CRC TB cleaner for the job. I started by removing the negative battery cable and the 20 amp fuse to reset the ECU while I cleaned. I remove the screws and unloosen clamps as mentioned in the DIY. I then unscrew and remove the MAF sensor and sprayed it about three times. I did not drown it in fluid but just did 3 small quick sprays and allowed it to air dry. For the TB, I used the TB cleaner and sprayed it it on the cotton towel and then wiped inside of it. I also sprayed a little bit of it inside on the metal flap twice to remove additional gunk and then wiped with the towel. After making sure all was dry, I installed everything back and started the car. Immediately I noticed a difference in how the car felt during idle. I've always had a smooth idle but now it is rough. I figure I give it a few minutes but that didn't help. So I take it for a spin and the rough idle continued. Even at a red light with my foot on the brake, the car felt rough. I drove on regular streets and also went on the highway for a total of about 15 minutes. The car seems to accelerate much quicker which may be the result of the ecu being reset. A little too late now but I'll double check everything tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss anything. I read on another thread that car will need to get "accustomed" after the cleaning I did. Just want to know if anyone experienced this after cleaning those parts and what was done to resolve it. Any tips would be helpful.
You'll just have to allow your car some time, probably a couple more days. After being reset, the ECU needs to "re-learn" everything. When I had my Cobra, I had hi-flow cats on the car and it failed smog (emissions portion) by a bit. I installed the stock crossover pipe and reset the ECU. The car did drive differently. I brought it back 2 days later to have it re-smogged but I failed the functionality part of the smog test since the sensors were reset and the car didn't "re-learn" and adjust yet.
Old 03-31-10, 10:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Cars with Electronic Throttle Control (Drive-by-wire) should not be cleaned with any types solvents at all. You will mess up the electrical system and will cause the car to go into limp mode as it runs rough as stated above.

I believe the best way to clean it would be just wipe it clean with a clean rag and that's it.
Old 04-01-10, 05:57 AM
memGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does 2G GS300s have this ECT?
Old 04-01-10, 09:01 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper408
You'll just have to allow your car some time, probably a couple more days. After being reset, the ECU needs to "re-learn" everything.
I reset the ECU several times already in the past but never got this rough idle. In actuality, it's more of a harsh vibration that steadily goes through the car. My RPM while idle is at 1.5. I put the car in reverse and then engaged my parking brake to check under the hood. The engine does not even vibrate or shake at all. It appears to be running VERY smooth. Mind you no CEL yet to this point. I didn't mention this part earlier but now my focus has now shifted to my front strut bar that I put in that same day I'll let it stay as is for a few more days and then remove the stb out to see if this has something to do with it. Mind you while on the highway I was pushing hard at times doing 80-90 to test things out and my fuel gauge appears to not have budged much after the cleaning. For now at least it appears something good may have come out of this cleaning I did.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Cars with Electronic Throttle Control (Drive-by-wire) should not be cleaned with any types solvents at all. You will mess up the electrical system and will cause the car to go into limp mode as it runs rough as stated above.

I believe the best way to clean it would be just wipe it clean with a clean rag and that's it.
I hope I don't fall in this category but I've seen little to hardly anyone here mentioning that they screwed up there MAF by using the CRC cleaner.
Old 04-01-10, 12:43 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Mind you while on the highway I was pushing hard at times doing 80-90 to test things out and my fuel gauge appears to not have budged much after the cleaning. For now at least it appears something good may have come out of this cleaning I did.
Let's hope you don't have broken fuel gauge needle from all that vibration! If I can recall correctly, the last time I had cleaned the MAF and throttle body and reset the ECU, the GS did drive a bit differently at first but I definitely did not experience any rough idle or vibration. When I had the CEL pop up months ago, the car did idle very high and the transmission was very abrupt/clunky when shifting from P to D or P to R. I would hear/feel a clunk when shifting between gears. You might want to use an OBDII scanning tool to see if you can pull any codes.

Quick Reply: What a difference cleaning the MAF and air filter makes...