GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

lexus dealership and programming key

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 09:13 AM
dinero718
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post lexus dealership and programming key

I lost my master key for my 01 gs 430 and i've been riding around with my wallet key. I finally bought a master key from sewell lexus, i took it to my local bay ridge lexus dealership and they tried to program it. they come the rep comes back to me and says the computer in the car is not taking the key the computer keeps saying error. the farthest they got with the key was getting the remote part to unlock doors but they couldnt get it to start the car. now they say i need new computer which is 1500, new set of keys almost 3 n change plus i have to pay for 2 hours of labor. I am a broke college student , can anyone give me any options with another route to go if theres any?
Old 03-26-08, 09:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

How many master keys did you have at the time? The new key should be synchronized with a master key. I dont know if it's going to work with a valet key. Haven't tried that yet.
Old 03-26-08, 09:22 AM
neuspedgti
Driver School Candidate

i think if you've lost all the master keys a new master key cannot be programmed without replacing the ecu. but if the ecu has never been replaced before then lexus should cover the cost of the ecu and you only pay the labor
Old 03-26-08, 10:09 AM
ocean350
Driver

without a master key.....it will be costly....(most likely u need a new ecu)
(that's why i got a 2nd master as soon as i can)
Old 03-26-08, 12:06 PM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

Just bought RX300 with just the master key. Should I go ahead and get a backup? Sounds like potential disaster if I lose the only one. Is there no other way, other than going through authorized dealer? Thanks, Taj.
Old 03-26-08, 12:38 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Forget getting a new ECU, just call up a locksmith that is capable of reflashing/resetting the ECU.

First ask them how much they'll do it for period. They're gonna say somewhere around $600-800 BUT keep reading this. You ask them how come it cost so much, and they'll say "Labor. Gotta remove your ECU, take it apart, reassemble, reinstall, and finally program the keys." Then you say, "what if I were to remove the ECU myself and bring it to you for reflaashing ONLY, no programming etc?" It should cost around $200 or so which includes the cutting of two aftermarket keys you have to buy from them. I paid about $160 total doing it this way!

Once the ECU is flashed, reinstall in the car. You need to have three keys programmed as a master: Insert your first master key, DO NOT TURN. Remove the key right away. Insert master key number 2, DO NOT TURN. Remove the key right away. Insert master key number 3, DO NOT TURN. Remove the key right away.

There you have it.

What everyone should know is that all the locksmith does is ERASE the CMOS chip inside the ECU. When the ECU is reinstalled back in the car, it is in a "factory programming mode" and needs three keys to program as master in order for the programming to complete.
Old 03-26-08, 02:58 PM
ocean350
Driver

the bottom line is:
IF U HAVE A MASTER KEY
- get a 2nd new master key will cost u ~$130 from Sewell Lexus
- program the key yourself (the instruction is on CL) ~ free!

IF U LOST your MASTER KEY
- get a new key
- u need to find someone to re-program your ecu - cost ???
Or, replace ur ecu - cost is at least $500? or more

simple math....
go figure which is the best for you.
Old 03-26-08, 07:16 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

These are the instructions to program your key. This is instructions for a GS430 2001 car year...... If you need more help than pm me and I will provide a internet locksmith that specializes in Lexus issues. This is what Lexus does to program the keys! You probably had a rookie trying to do it and they failed. I did this for a replacement key to my SC430 and I had to do it a few times but I got it to work.Be patient and follow the instructions EXACTLY....
This is a two Phase program.... The door functions(Which I think you already got to work) and the computer to start the car.

Lexus Key and Remote Programming

Key Programming 1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.(Sometimes it takes LONGER than 1 minute,Wait it out)
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming 1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.
Old 03-26-08, 07:28 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing.....Your wallet key MAY BE a master key. You might be able to program with it. I doubt that you will have to reflash the ECU. IF they programed the remote part of the key than the wallet key was excepted as a master.
Old 03-26-08, 08:41 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I see a lot of misinformation going around in this thread.

Here is some solid info.... 01+ give you the ability to program new Master keys without the need for a present Master Key.

If all DOES fail, you can hack your valet key, but taking the chip part of the valet key, and gluing it to a MASTER key blade (which you can buy and cut from anywhere), and you will be able to program a new master.
Old 03-26-08, 08:43 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
Forget getting a new ECU, just call up a locksmith that is capable of reflashing/resetting the ECU.

First ask them how much they'll do it for period. They're gonna say somewhere around $600-800 BUT keep reading this. You ask them how come it cost so much, and they'll say "Labor. Gotta remove your ECU, take it apart, reassemble, reinstall, and finally program the keys." Then you say, "what if I were to remove the ECU myself and bring it to you for reflaashing ONLY, no programming etc?" It should cost around $200 or so which includes the cutting of two aftermarket keys you have to buy from them. I paid about $160 total doing it this way!

Once the ECU is flashed, reinstall in the car. You need to have three keys programmed as a master: Insert your first master key, DO NOT TURN. Remove the key right away. Insert master key number 2, DO NOT TURN. Remove the key right away. Insert master key number 3, DO NOT TURN. Remove the key right away.

There you have it.

What everyone should know is that all the locksmith does is ERASE the CMOS chip inside the ECU. When the ECU is reinstalled back in the car, it is in a "factory programming mode" and needs three keys to program as master in order for the programming to complete.

Dealers dont reflash ECU's. They just replace them. Lexus even sponsers one ECU replacement per car.
Old 03-26-08, 10:17 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Dealers dont reflash ECU's. They just replace them. Lexus even sponsers one ECU replacement per car.
Yes, you're right. Most of us on CL know that already. As far as the ECU replacement program, I read somewhere that they no longer do it. It may have been more mis-information though so don't quote me on that.

The reason I posted the information about flashing/resetting the ECU is IF and only IF you opted to replace the unit through the dealer, you can save money...and lots of it by doing the alternative.

Quote from the OP:

Originally Posted by dinero718
I am a broke college student , can anyone give me any options with another route to go if theres any?
Old 03-27-08, 04:43 PM
S1aristo
Driver

i have the same problem, i bought my car and had a master key, a valet key and a 3rd regular sized key that only locked/unlocked the doors and started the car but the buttons did not work. I lost my master key and am now using this 3rd key. I tried following the steps to reprog. the key, so the remote function would work but didn't get the door lock/unlock confirmation. Now the kicker is my driver's side door actuator is dead. Would this need to be fixed before I can try to reprogram the key. i have the actuator but do not have the time to install yet.
Old 03-28-08, 01:20 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by S1aristo
i have the same problem, i bought my car and had a master key, a valet key and a 3rd regular sized key that only locked/unlocked the doors and started the car but the buttons did not work. I lost my master key and am now using this 3rd key. I tried following the steps to reprog. the key, so the remote function would work but didn't get the door lock/unlock confirmation. Now the kicker is my driver's side door actuator is dead. Would this need to be fixed before I can try to reprogram the key. i have the actuator but do not have the time to install yet.
That shouldnt effect anything.
Old 04-14-08, 09:40 AM
dinero718
Driver School Candidate

i spoke to sewell lexus and someone from there told me that they offer an alternative to purchasing a new ECU from your local dealer. We are able to “flash” the ECU of your computer with special software that we have available. If you would like to send us your computer, we can have it flashed for you. You will need to reprogram all your existing keys to the ECU after it has been flashed. The catch to this is that the car will not work while the ECU is out of the car.

Can anyone tell if getting the ecu out of the car is DIY and if possible tell me how too?

Quick Reply: lexus dealership and programming key