GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

replace catalytic converters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 10:20 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replace catalytic converters?

so my CEL light is on and throws the infamous code for "bank 2, catalytic converter or oxygen sensor" error . i forget what the exac

anyways, took it to dealer and dealer says both cats are bad and need to be replaced in order for me to pass emissions inspection in VA.

what is the avg price to get this work done?

dealer quoted me a discounted price of around $1800 (says reg price is $3k+)

does it matter if i use OEM cat converter or is an aftermarket cat just as good?

i've been having issue after issue w/ this GS. i thought it was a solid car, but now i dont know. been thinkin bout getting rid of it for a 2002+ Q45, but i really like this GS.

any advice on what to do about my catalytic converters would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 03-18-08, 10:24 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow for 1800 you can do a full complete stainless steel exhaust...don;t got o dealer, replacing cats should not be that much
Old 03-18-08, 10:26 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to check your exhaust pipes for any leaks. I have a leak in my Y pipe connecting my manifolds to my cat converters, and it's giving off a Code - P0430. Checked the O2 sensors, and they were replaced at the 90k mile service. Had the cat checked out, and it's in perfect working condition. My Y pipe is throwing everything off balance.
Old 03-18-08, 10:46 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
You might want to check your exhaust pipes for any leaks. I have a leak in my Y pipe connecting my manifolds to my cat converters, and it's giving off a Code - P0430. Checked the O2 sensors, and they were replaced at the 90k mile service. Had the cat checked out, and it's in perfect working condition. My Y pipe is throwing everything off balance.
hmmm....that is the correct code P0430

i currently have a greddy PE full exhaust on my gs4. it does have some rust holes in it. (i taped it up w/ metal tape) maybe that is the leak in the exhaust causing the P0430 code??

i bought this gs4 from a CL member named kevin. he neglected to tell me the exhaust had holes in it and one of the rims were cracked. i know i shouldve taken it to a mechanic first, but he shouldve also disclosed this info to me. oh well, nothing i can do now.

i have a stock exhaust sitting in my shed that hasnt been used for a while.

i've been thinking about getting rid of the greddy PE exhaust and putting the stock one back on. how much would an exhaust swap cost?

the problem is, I don't know what the exact problem is. dealer says its the cats (but i dont believe them 100%), could be exhaust leak on my Y pipe, could be bad 02 sensors

how would i go about determining the exact problem?

thanks for all the advice thus far.
Old 03-18-08, 11:11 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Well for this you would need a lift. I have a friend with a garage, so he was nice enough to let me use his lift for a while.

I went under the car, with it turned on of course, and placed a feather across the piping to see if there were any leaks. If there were any leaks, I would note it on the diagram that I drew ( which i lost lol ) The only leaks that I found where in the Y pipe, and the gaskets connecting the Y pipe to other pipes. The gaskets needed to be replaced, bought them for about 5$ each. That stopped the leaking from the gaskets, and the Y pipe is still in need for a change for me :P

You might also want to have your O2 sensor checked out at a trustworthy mechanic. Check your maint. records, they may have been replaced.
Old 03-18-08, 11:21 AM
minla007
Pole Position

cool...i will have to try your suggestions out

i'm pretty sure my exhuast has some leaks, cuz i dont think that metal tape is good enuff to prevent leaks.....

i think i may do the exhaust swap first (get the stock one back on), then see if the problem persists/CEL light on

if it does persist after exhaust swap, then i will check 02 sensors and cats
Old 03-18-08, 12:51 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

You may also want to check your manifold gaskets that lead to the engine. They also may be loose, or in need of a change
Old 03-18-08, 01:06 PM
minla007
Pole Position

You may also want to check your manifold gaskets that lead to the engine. They also may be loose, or in need of a change
thanks again for the advice.....would the manifold gaskets you speak of be something that may have been touched during a starter replacement?

i recently had my starter replaced and this CEL p0430 code popped up shortly after.

while they were installing a new starter for me, the mechanic calls me up and asks "has your car been idling rough?"....i said "no, it was perfect when i brought it in"

when i go pick up the car, i inquire about the rough idling issue he mentioned and he told me that they fixed it cuz they tighten some manifold intake.

would this be the same thing you are refering to? sorry, im not an expert at cars, but i sure am learning alot!!!
Old 03-18-08, 02:07 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

That would be it right there!!! The gasket may have come loose, and probably has a leak in it. Since you have a new exhaust system, that's the only thing I can think of. Your exhaust is losing compression, due to the leak >_<
Old 03-18-08, 03:00 PM
minla007
Pole Position

That would be it right there!!! The gasket may have come loose, and probably has a leak in it. Since you have a new exhaust system, that's the only thing I can think of. Your exhaust is losing compression, due to the leak >_<
interesting find....i will talk to my mechanic about it....to clarify, my exhaust sytem (greddy) is NOT new...its actually quite old and beat up....like i said before, it has some rust holes in it....a few along the pipe that connects the muffler to the Y pipe...so thats why i want to swap my old greddy exhaust w/ the stock one to see if the exhaust is causing the issue

anwyays, i will have them replace the gasket of the manifold that they touched when they replaced my starter.....i pretty sure they just used the old gasket instead of replacing it...what a bunch of cheapos!!! doesnt a gasket cost like a few bucks? isn't standard to replace used gaskets?

aaarrrgggghhhh....is it really that hard to find a competent/fair mechanic these days??? sorry , just venting....

anwyyas, GS400RcrX - "you da man!".......... thanks for your help bro

Last edited by minla007; 03-18-08 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-08, 03:38 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Man, if you have holes in the exhaust, get rid of it! You wouldn't believe how much Carbon Monoxide is getting into the cabin o.o i fainted from this dang hole on my car! lol
Old 03-18-08, 07:38 PM
minla007
Pole Position

hahahaha....i hope i dont pass out...the hole is taped up, but prob not a good solution to the holes...

anyways, how much do you think it should run to put a stock exhaust on ? labor only, i have the parts...

im sure its much less than 1800
Old 03-18-08, 09:25 PM
j_version_
Pole Position

its prolly the o2 sensors. i replaced my cats before i did the o2 sensors im still kickin myself
Old 03-19-08, 06:59 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by j_version_
its prolly the o2 sensors. i replaced my cats before i did the o2 sensors im still kickin myself
yeah....alot of people on this forum have had issues w/ o2 sensors

how would a mechanic test an o2 sensor?

is there some device like the obd2 scanner/code reader?

so you ended up replacing the cat converters and you still had a problem? then you replaced the o2 sensors and everything is ok?
Old 03-19-08, 03:03 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by j_version_
so when you replaced your cats before the o2 sensors, did you still get that CEL light P0430 code?

is that how u determined the o2 sensors were bad and not the cat?

Quick Reply: replace catalytic converters?