GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How much do you guys usually pay for a regular tuneup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 06:15 AM
sil3ntsc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you guys usually pay for a regular tuneup?

I just got the car so Im thinking to do a full tuneup and flush out all fluids. How much do you guys pay for that usually or what should be a good price and what would it include ? Pls keep in mind im in NY.
Old 01-22-08, 07:55 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it cost me a case of beer and a pizza, I guess it's all who you know
Old 01-22-08, 09:52 AM
sil3ntsc
Rookie

Yes sir I'd even give 2 pizzas . I might be just selling the car I just got a job where I have to drive 60 miles each way !!
Old 01-22-08, 10:02 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

I think Lexus charges ~$600 for their schedule maintaince tuneup right? I don't even really know what a "tune up" consist of.

I normally do the coolant, spark plugs, and oil changes myself.
Old 01-22-08, 10:38 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a toyota technician, i think it cost me less than 75 bucks for plugs, coolant drain and fill, diff service, rotoate and balance tires, synthetic oil change with a genuine toyota filter and top of brake fluid if needed.
Old 01-22-08, 10:53 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
As a toyota technician, i think it cost me less than 75 bucks for plugs, coolant drain and fill, diff service, rotoate and balance tires, synthetic oil change with a genuine toyota filter and top of brake fluid if needed.
Wow, it must be good to be your friend.

It is all about who you know. That goes for the rest of life as well.
Old 01-22-08, 10:12 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Wow, it must be good to be your friend.

It is all about who you know. That goes for the rest of life as well.
...no, it is about, Are you willing to do a little work, make a little mess and get yourself a little dirty.

If you are not willing to do any of that, then pay and be grateful...

Previous owner, on wify's GS300 paid $400.+ to replace spark plugs and have fluids changed at Lexus of Austin and she was very grateful.
Old 01-23-08, 07:59 AM
sil3ntsc
Rookie

Dont mind doing the work but damn with 2 jobs and school barely get time to sleep !
Old 01-23-08, 12:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If you DIY, you dont have to do it all in one day. Just do a few things here and there for the time being.
Old 01-23-08, 04:47 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Well that's probably at employee's rate and you prob didn't pay for supplies. I doubt any place would change your plugs for less than $50 labor + price (esp on a GS300).

Coolant flush easily runs $100 or so esp with Toyota Red, diff flush prob another 75 (you can easily do it yourself but fluid is prob what, $25?).

Mobil1 (or whatever brand you want) runs about $5 quart + price of a filter... blah blah blah.
Old 01-23-08, 06:16 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

luckily i get mine done through one of the technicians at the Toyota dealership i work for..
Old 01-24-08, 07:48 AM
sil3ntsc
Rookie

whats funny is no one gave me a regular price of a normal tuneup lol.... I don't realy have time to do it myself like everyone suggested or believe me that would be the only way I would do it.
Old 01-24-08, 08:09 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sil3ntsc
whats funny is no one gave me a regular price of a normal tuneup lol.... I don't realy have time to do it myself like everyone suggested or believe me that would be the only way I would do it.
In your original post,#1, you ask how much we pay...
If you want a real time price quote, call a shop. You have a pretty good idea of what its going to cost from this tread, between $400 and $600.

Look in your owners manual, there is no such thing as a normal tune up, just service intervals at mileage.
Know what your asking when you call a shop, do not assume they will do everything unless you ask and get it in writing.

good luck

Last edited by FrankT; 01-24-08 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-24-08, 11:42 AM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

I took my 01 gs300 right to a local shop when i first got the car. I got a full tune up and some. It included 4 brand new michelin mkv4 tires, balanced, aligned, and installed. Replaced all spark plugs with NGK iridium laser (which are about $10-$12 a piece) brake fluid flush, tranny drain n fill, mobil 1 synthetic oil change, accessory belt change, engine coolant flush and fill, and power steering fluid drain n fill. and maybe diff. oil change also...total bill was about $1300.

That was 8 months back, and I've learned so much through this site now that I would not have paid that price for that service, but it was a helluva lot of work done to the car when I first got it, just the basic fluid flushes and tune-up.

Answer to ur question, a full tune up would cost you around $300 if you supplied the parts. which i suggest u do b/c u would want to choose ur own spark plugs, NGK iridiums ftw.
Old 01-24-08, 11:46 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sil3ntsc
I just got the car so Im thinking to do a full tuneup and flush out all fluids. How much do you guys pay for that usually or what should be a good price and what would it include ? Pls keep in mind im in NY.

If you just got the car, then maybe, depending on the dealer, all that was already done. I think CPO cars get that treatment.

Model/Year, color, how much are you thinking of selling it for? Where in NY?

Quick Reply: How much do you guys usually pay for a regular tuneup?