GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

trans wont shift into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 01:42 PM
slowpokeGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this a common problem?
Old 02-25-08, 05:06 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

first time i've heard of it...weird.
Old 02-25-08, 05:26 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ME EITHER! I am still very much confused. I am not sure if youo mean the shift linkage doesn't move, or it moves correctly and the car still won't move.

With the engine shut off:
1. Does the shifter move normally after stepping on the brakes? Make sure the ignition switch is in the "on" position.

With the engine running:
2. Does the shifter move normally after stepping on the brakes?

3. Does the car move normally forward and reverse? Or only in ONE direction?

4. When was the last time you had the transmission fluid changed?

I still do not know how you nearly drained your battery. If the car is in park or neutral, the starter gets engaged. In any other gear the starter is disabled when the ignition switch is turned to start.

Please provide more information so we can help you.

Thanks
Old 02-27-08, 11:17 AM
th1zdwk
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys, I just got my GS300 back from the repair shop. Turns out it was only a loose bolt that connected the shift stick on top to the actual gear changing rod at the bottom of the car. My car IS an automatic btw, sorry if "shift stick" confused you. I guess 144k miles can loosen up a bolt or two in your car. Other than that, Lexus cars really are amazingly durable! Didn't cost much... since the repair guys didn't really "fix" anything.
Old 02-27-08, 11:29 AM
th1zdwk
Driver School Candidate

This is a reply to GSEREP1's message, for more information on the problem I had with my car.

With the engine shut off:
1. Does the shifter move normally after stepping on the brakes? Make sure the ignition switch is in the "on" position. The shifter does move when I step on the breaks.

With the engine running:
2. Does the shifter move normally after stepping on the brakes? Yes.

3. Does the car move normally forward and reverse? Or only in ONE direction?
The car moves forwards when I'm on D, and reverse when I'm on R. Does that answer your question?

4. When was the last time you had the transmission fluid changed? Good question. I can't recall if I ever did or not.

I still do not know how you nearly drained your battery. If the car is in park or neutral, the starter gets engaged. In any other gear the starter is disabled when the ignition switch is turned to start.

--> Here's what happened. After buying some frozen yogurt, I got in my car, turned it on, pushed the breaks, and then moved the shifter to R. However, the car actually didn't engage into reverse and stayed on P, so the car was technically still in park, although I shifted to reverse with the shifter. The next thing that I did was to shift the gear down to D, in hopes of changing the gears that way, and to my surprise, it DID! Now I was on D, but the problem was that I couldn't go back to R and P no matter how much I moved the shifter back and forth.
So then I turned off my car while it was on D... and there you have it. The shifter wouldn't actually make the car change gears, so it was stuck on D now, and you can picture me trying to turn the car on many times, only to drain the batteries with no signs of the ignition going off.

As I've said before, the only problem was that a bolt came loose, according to the mechanic. They just tightened it and the shifter started working again, like magic.
Old 02-27-08, 11:38 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Ah...sounds like i'm never going for yogurt...haha..
Old 02-27-08, 04:41 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the bypass work in this situation? that is the little slot that is to the drivers side of the shifter? I am not sure what it is called. I thought it was to be able to get it out of park if the battery was dead??? Any comments?

BP
Old 02-28-08, 12:28 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Its supposed to work. But if the shifter linkage isn't physically connected to the transmission nothing will work unless you crawl under the car. The bypass only works on the shift lock. The one that dis-engages when you push the brake.
Old 04-28-08, 09:43 PM
Stock Boy
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone. Been a long time since I posted on the board. I just experienced the same problem today. I was driving, and when I stopped my car, and tried to put it into reverse, it was stuck in drive. I hadto depress the emergency release button that's next to the gear shifter in order to get it to shift to neutral, then to park. I turned off my car. And when I turned it back on, it went into drive, but it wouldn't allow me to shift back to neutral or reverse. Also, I noticed that both the Neutral and Drive lights were illuminated on my dashboard. Has anyone encountered this issue with both lights being illuminated on the dashbord, and the car being stuck in drive?
Old 04-29-08, 12:07 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

well mine was different. mine just couldnt shift into just reverse i could shift into neutral. if you have both lights on on the dash it might be the solenoid
Old 12-14-13, 07:35 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock Boy
Hey everyone. Been a long time since I posted on the board. I just experienced the same problem today. I was driving, and when I stopped my car, and tried to put it into reverse, it was stuck in drive. I hadto depress the emergency release button that's next to the gear shifter in order to get it to shift to neutral, then to park. I turned off my car. And when I turned it back on, it went into drive, but it wouldn't allow me to shift back to neutral or reverse. Also, I noticed that both the Neutral and Drive lights were illuminated on my dashboard. Has anyone encountered this issue with both lights being illuminated on the dashbord, and the car being stuck in drive?
Hey guys, sorry for bumping an old thread but I'm currently having the same issue described above. I have a check engine light and the code is P1780 PNP switch malfunction. Does anyone know where this is located? The car still runs and drives fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-14, 06:26 PM
driver1988
Driver

just today while driving at a parking lot a car in front of me decided to reverse. I depressed brake pedal and attempted to shift onto reverse. I noticed the shift *** is shift and would not shift. Later, I pulled in and wiggled it more. After 10 minutes, finally able to get to reverse and then park.

I thought it was just a one time thing. After I came back from shopping, car couldn't get out of park. I was stuck for 30 minutes trying to wiggle it. Finally I decided to apply force and got it to reverse. I heard a crack though. I ran the shifter to all modes and it seems fine.

Just when I thought it was over, I noticed I couldn't shift from neutral to reverse again I decided to use force again and finally got it to park mode. It is now sticking more than ever. With each force I use, I hear a loud crack. Sounds like cracking plastic. Is this bad for the transmission? Brakes depressed all all times though. What is causing this suddenly now? Please help

There is also a check engine light on now.
Old 01-13-14, 06:34 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by driver1988
just today while driving at a parking lot a car in front of me decided to reverse. I depressed brake pedal and attempted to shift onto reverse. I noticed the shift *** is shift and would not shift. Later, I pulled in and wiggled it more. After 10 minutes, finally able to get to reverse and then park.

I thought it was just a one time thing. After I came back from shopping, car couldn't get out of park. I was stuck for 30 minutes trying to wiggle it. Finally I decided to apply force and got it to reverse. I heard a crack though. I ran the shifter to all modes and it seems fine.

Just when I thought it was over, I noticed I couldn't shift from neutral to reverse again I decided to use force again and finally got it to park mode. It is now sticking more than ever. With each force I use, I hear a loud crack. Sounds like cracking plastic. Is this bad for the transmission? Brakes depressed all all times though. What is causing this suddenly now? Please help

There is also a check engine light on now.
Your problem is probably what this thread describes, the shift lock ecu. Cost me a couple hundred to have a good mechanic fix. In the meantime you can use the manual release for the shifter. Remove the little rubber cover on the shifter plate and you can stick a flathead screwdriver in there to manual release the lock while you shift. This is a temporary solution though since if it's an emergency you won't have time to grab a screwdriver.
Old 01-13-14, 07:52 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why wouldn't u just use the shift interlock? Why would u force it then hear a crack, u then did it again, u probably damaged something more, stick a nice thick folded piece of paper in their nice and right at least, I did that for like a year and half and then mine suddenly started working again for months, screw a screwdriver...
Old 01-13-14, 08:00 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It could also be your brake light switch. Check to see if the car has brake lights.