GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New leather for my 2002 GS430...

Old 11-28-07, 07:32 PM
daltexlex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation New leather for my 2002 GS430...

I am the only one out there who likes the leather on a new car for about the first 6 months? That maybe an exaggeration but after owning my GS for 5 going on 6 yrs now, I definitely am considering going with new leather.

I've heard of some peeps buying leather from vendors advertising "group buys" here on Club Lex for $650- $850 over the years but I want to make sure I get Lexus quality product. After all, it is the seat I sit in everyday for at least an hour and it is the best car I ever owned.

If you have any experience with new leather for Lexus or know anyone who does please drop me a line. Much appreciated and Happy Holidays to all!
Old 11-28-07, 07:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by daltexlex
I am the only one out there who likes the leather on a new car for about the first 6 months? That maybe an exaggeration but after owning my GS for 5 going on 6 yrs now, I definitely am considering going with new leather.

I've heard of some peeps buying leather from vendors advertising "group buys" here on Club Lex for $650- $850 over the years but I want to make sure I get Lexus quality product. After all, it is the seat I sit in everyday for at least an hour and it is the best car I ever owned.

If you have any experience with new leather for Lexus or know anyone who does please drop me a line. Much appreciated and Happy Holidays to all!
I bought new leather for my LS from leatherseats.com, and the quality is crap compared to original Lexus leather.
Old 11-28-07, 09:50 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

You are one of the first I have heard of to complain
Old 11-29-07, 02:57 PM
daltexlex
Driver

anyone else have an opinion on new leather and where to get it?
Old 11-29-07, 03:06 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
You are one of the first I have heard of to complain
one of the first? that means there are others. i was thinking of changing my leather after a few years as well. so knowing where the best place would be nice to know.
Old 11-29-07, 04:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I noticed that the Leatherseats stuff isn't quite up to par with the Lexus original leather. The stiching and everything is perfect...it's just the leather they use is much thicker and rougher. Seems like it's more suitable for long term use and has good wear and tear properties. The Lexus leather is much finer/thinner and feels much smoother but the downside is that it seems like it will wear out faster. I guess it's all just a tradeoff. Personally I'd like Leatherseats.com to use finer and thinner material vs the thick stuff they use right now.
Old 11-29-07, 08:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I noticed that the Leatherseats stuff isn't quite up to par with the Lexus original leather. The stiching and everything is perfect...it's just the leather they use is much thicker and rougher. Seems like it's more suitable for long term use and has good wear and tear properties. The Lexus leather is much finer/thinner and feels much smoother but the downside is that it seems like it will wear out faster. I guess it's all just a tradeoff. Personally I'd like Leatherseats.com to use finer and thinner material vs the thick stuff they use right now.
Yeah, I agree that the stitching is excellent, however the fit isn't 100%, at least on my LS. But the biggest problem is like you said, the material is much thicker, rougher, harder, and has big texture/pores. It's almost like industrial grade leather, and I don't know if its anymore durable, but its ugly, and because of these pores it gets dirty right away, and its very hard to wash. My tan colored seats got dirty within the first two weeks, worse than the original seats after 12 years of use. I guess it wouldnt be so bad if the seats were black, but for light colored seats, its just unacceptable.
Old 11-30-07, 01:43 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

The company that makes the leather covers for Toyota/Lexus sells kits to the public as well. I will have to dig into my files to find the name. I have used them for several cars and they have been what you would expect from oe.
Old 11-30-07, 02:56 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dentpusher
The company that makes the leather covers for Toyota/Lexus sells kits to the public as well. I will have to dig into my files to find the name. I have used them for several cars and they have been what you would expect from oe.
Please do share when you find it!
Old 11-30-07, 04:29 PM
BigGene
Driver

Exclamation

Same here, I am looking into getting new leather installed in my car. I'd actually like to get ahold of the LS quality leather.
Old 12-01-07, 12:28 AM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

same here.

thanks
Old 12-01-07, 06:08 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to hijack but has anyone heard of he KatzSkin leather before?
Old 12-01-07, 10:15 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yea tuddy o heard of katzskin they are very popular I heard of them way back in the day. It was only when I became a member of clublexus was I introduce to leatherseats.com. Unfortunately I have no first hand experience with either so my help is limited sorry.
Old 12-01-07, 10:22 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 for everything, im the first to hear of a complaint and i am VERY close to buying a custom set up in my gs so id love to hear about this somewhere..
Old 12-12-07, 05:55 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Been away for a bit. Here is the company. http://www.trimmasters.com/overview.htm
They have dealers throughout the country. You can contact them to get the nearest one to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New leather for my 2002 GS430...