GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

For people with G35 wheels, do you use hub centric rings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 09:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vaki2
Am sorry that my sig does not say I own a set of G35 wheels.

I use the G35 as spares when my GF drives my car or when I travel back and forth between east and west coast of FL. I have these for about 2 years now. Here are pictures test fitted, before and after paint and also a couple of random pics:

http://www.softweb-creations.com/vak...gs/page_01.htm

The info I posted was what I bought when I got those rims.

BTW I also own a set of Vossens 20's which also are not in the sig.

http://www.softweb-creations.com/vak...ls/page_01.htm

vaki2

lol, i wasn't doubting u had the rims....thought u were talking about a set of your aftermarket rims though and not the g35's
Old 05-10-10, 06:39 PM
vaki2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maaann, not even a compliment on the wheels, I get no break

If you need spares, trust me these are the ones to get. Plenty of tire and fills in the wheel well. Biggest problem is finding them. See them sometimes on craigslist for like $300 with tires.

vaki2
Old 05-11-10, 10:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vaki2
Maaann, not even a compliment on the wheels, I get no break

If you need spares, trust me these are the ones to get. Plenty of tire and fills in the wheel well. Biggest problem is finding them. See them sometimes on craigslist for like $300 with tires.

vaki2
im not a rim person lol

BTW i was under the assumption they meant the g35 19" volks....not just the g35's but maybe im wrong...
Old 05-11-10, 09:42 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

found the hub rings from a local place in Long Beach. They sell on ebay. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUB-C...Q5fAccessories

They are plastic, but they fit perfect and fit the hub perfect.
Old 07-27-10, 01:40 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TopRamen
found the hub rings from a local place in Long Beach. They sell on ebay. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUB-C...Q5fAccessories

They are plastic, but they fit perfect and fit the hub perfect.
well im finally gonna mount my g35 19's and i need to get the hubcentric rings so i was looking at these...
anyone know if they will be fine in the polycarbonate or if i need metal ones?

sigh,
busy searching for the spacer size needed for a decent flushness with these wheels, gotta look into tires also which is gonna play a role into the spacers sizing so i guess when i figure out my tire size i will decide on my spacer size....
Old 07-27-10, 05:19 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

Talk to a custom wheels shop about those. There's actually no proper lug nut that will fit.

I've actually spoken to 3 different tire shops and a wholesale lug nut distributor. There's no proper fitting lug nut out there.

So... I had to get ring inserts placed into the wheel's lug nut holes to make them fit proper. Cost me 150 bucks.

Here's the order of operation, if you want a true fit:

1. hub centric rings
- (i got the plastic ebay ones, cheap and fits perfect)
2. ring inserts
- (lexus lug nuts are not wide enough, so there's play)
3. different lug nuts
- (not custom lug nuts, but because of the ring inserts the width, depth, and thread need to be exact to the new specs of those holes)

I have the g37 sport.

You hear a lot of guys on here sportin the G35 or G37 sport, but it either comes down to whether you're mounting them right or not. Like I said, every shop I went to the consensus was the same. "No proper fitting lugnuts"
Old 07-28-10, 09:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Talk to a custom wheels shop about those. There's actually no proper lug nut that will fit.

I've actually spoken to 3 different tire shops and a wholesale lug nut distributor. There's no proper fitting lug nut out there.

So... I had to get ring inserts placed into the wheel's lug nut holes to make them fit proper. Cost me 150 bucks.

1. hub centric rings
2. ring inserts
3. different lug nuts
- (not custom lug nuts, but because of the ring inserts the width, depth, and thread need to be exact to the new specs of those holes)

I have the g37 sport.

You hear a lot of guys on here sportin the G35 or G37 sport, but it either comes down to whether you're mounting them right or not. Like I said, every shop I went to the consensus was the same. "No proper fitting lugnuts"

hmmm NEVER heard anyone but you complain bout the lug nuts and needing ring inserts EXCEPT to make sure you get the hubcentric rings which are different rings. everyone always said to use the oem lug nuts...
Old 07-28-10, 08:44 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
hmmm NEVER heard anyone but you complain bout the lug nuts and needing ring inserts EXCEPT to make sure you get the hubcentric rings which are different rings. everyone always said to use the oem lug nuts...
Brian I've run both the 18s and 19s for over 2 years with no issues. Bought the hub rings. Bear in mind you cannot use stock lug nuts, you need to use an acorn style nut that is what I used with mine with no problems.
Old 07-28-10, 10:55 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

^ those were the lug nuts i was sporting when i had my rays g35 rims on, works perfect, remember to put on the hub rings.
Old 07-28-10, 10:56 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

1. hub centric rings
2. ring inserts
3. different lug nuts

I have the g37 sport.

dang tim, lol. looks like a long process just to get those g37 rims on, you're very dedicated haha but i still dont see why tuner style lug nuts would not work for you, im guessing g37 and g35 rims lug nut holes are designed differently?
Old 07-29-10, 10:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Brian I've run both the 18s and 19s for over 2 years with no issues. Bought the hub rings. Bear in mind you cannot use stock lug nuts, you need to use an acorn style nut that is what I used with mine with no problems.
oops TOPRAMEN, guess i was wrong, my bad....thanks vlad. i thought the guys had said they COULDNT use aftermarket lugs on those...

vlad, were the plastic hubrings ok or do i need the metal ones? where did you u get your lug nuts from? BTW how is your fog light retro?

Originally Posted by GS3mike

^ those were the lug nuts i was sporting when i had my rays g35 rims on, works perfect, remember to put on the hub rings.
thanks where did u get them and how much? were u using any spacers on the g35's BTW?
Old 07-29-10, 01:27 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
oops TOPRAMEN, guess i was wrong, my bad....thanks vlad. i thought the guys had said they COULDNT use aftermarket lugs on those...

vlad, were the plastic hubrings ok or do i need the metal ones? where did you u get your lug nuts from? BTW how is your fog light retro?

thanks where did u get them and how much? were u using any spacers on the g35's BTW?
i didnt use any spacers for my g35 rims, i only ran them for a small amount of time til i switched to something else, the lugnuts, i got them on ebay a while ago too, about 25 bucks shipped. 12x1.5mm tuner lug nuts.
Old 07-29-10, 01:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3mike
i didnt use any spacers for my g35 rims, i only ran them for a small amount of time til i switched to something else, the lugnuts, i got them on ebay a while ago too, about 25 bucks shipped. 12x1.5mm tuner lug nuts.
ty very much....i will go look for some

got a pic of the rears/front so i can look into what size spacers i need? what tire sizes were you running?
Old 07-29-10, 02:39 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

no way. you guys are crazy. you can do it the right way or you can do it the wrong way.

like i said before. go talk to a wheel shop. hell, i've talk to three of them. even had a lug nut distributor look at the g37 rims and look at my car.

if you go off of hearsay, you'll believe anything. it's your car, do whatever you want.
Old 07-30-10, 09:12 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no way. you guys are crazy. you can do it the right way or you can do it the wrong way.

like i said before. go talk to a wheel shop. hell, i've talk to three of them. even had a lug nut distributor look at the g37 rims and look at my car.

if you go off of hearsay, you'll believe anything. it's your car, do whatever you want.
Hearsay? This is all hearsay because everyone is posting their own opinions/experiences since no on knows you or have you posted the exact reason why they say that the G37 rims will not work except through doing whatever process that you are outlining. I have run G35 wheels both in 18" and 19" for 2+ years with hubrings and acorn style lugs with no wobble, issues or any problems. So until you can prove what you say, I'm sorry to say but I'm skeptical of what you are saying. I speak from my own experience. Another thing to consider is maybe those shops that are going to are lying to you in an effort to make money.

Brian get the plastic hubrings the metal ones tend to fuse to the hub due to the expansion of the aluminum to the heat generated by the brakes. The plastic ones dont have any issues. Lugs nuts I used a few types, I've gone thru the Kics R40 and they were crap, the threading kept stripping, you can go with McCard or pick up a cheap set from AutoZone for about $30 that are all locks. There are many options here just make sure that they are 12x1.5MM threading. Make sure that you torque the wheels to 76 Lb/ft and retorque again in 100 miles. You will be good.

As far as the fog retro its been on the back burner. I've got too many things going on that are keeping me from progressing with it. I still have not located a company willing to manufacture lenses for them and that is where it sits for now. When I have time I will continue my search.

Quick Reply: For people with G35 wheels, do you use hub centric rings?