GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VVTi Pulley - Oil Leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 09:45 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy VVTi Pulley - Oil Leak!!

Please see....

[/URL]

[/URL]

I recently changed the T belt and Cam seals.

It was not leaking when i checked after a test drive after the T belt change.

I found out when i opened the Cam Cover after 20 miles to recheck the T belt.

Any info will be much appreciated......
Old 08-23-07, 09:49 AM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you didnt intall the seal correctly or boogered it up putting it back together. You have to get the pin ligned up properly on the cam gear also or it will leak. how did you get the old seals out? Reaso I ask is if you even barley scratch the cam or the sealing surface on the head it will leak. Only way to fix it is replace the cam or use fipg on the head sealing surface if you scratched that part of it.
Old 08-23-07, 10:15 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

I did install the cam seals very carefully, also if i did not line up the pin on the cam to the gear it will not even fit, let alone start and run.

Also there is no oil under the gear - ie back of the pulley and below the cam.
Old 08-23-07, 02:41 PM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Then its the crush ring around the bolt on the cam. and yes, you can miss the pin and if you zapped it on with an impact you wouldn't know and it still runs. I have seen it happen unfortunately.
Old 08-24-07, 01:02 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

Bump........
Old 08-24-07, 09:12 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

No way you could miss the pin. Well, you could but the oil leak would be much bigger than that. I'm talkng like a puddle under your car within a minute or something like that.

Are you sure you replaced all of the seals with new ones? If the seal is old then it can cause leakage as well. Also, for the front of the valve cover and camshaft cap #1 you have to use some liquid gasket to seal it up or you're gonna get some leakage.

One last thing. You might have to take off the timing belt and clean out all the oil. I'm sure it has splattered all over the place by now. If the timing belt has oil on it, then there is a very good chance it will skip a few teeth under heavy loads or hard acceleration.
Old 08-24-07, 11:45 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
No way you could miss the pin. Well, you could but the oil leak would be much bigger than that. I'm talkng like a puddle under your car within a minute or something like that.

Are you sure you replaced all of the seals with new ones? If the seal is old then it can cause leakage as well. Also, for the front of the valve cover and camshaft cap #1 you have to use some liquid gasket to seal it up or you're gonna get some leakage.

One last thing. You might have to take off the timing belt and clean out all the oil. I'm sure it has splattered all over the place by now. If the timing belt has oil on it, then there is a very good chance it will skip a few teeth under heavy loads or hard acceleration.
Thanks for the info...

I am removeing the Tbelt now and i will get the cam gear off soon.

Also any chance of the VVTi pulley itself leaking?
Old 08-25-07, 01:30 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

I got the VVTi Cam gear off , i dont see any leak from behind the cam gear , so it cant be the cam seal....

Also any chance of the Cam gear (VVTi) itself leaking?

See Pic:

Old 08-25-07, 01:36 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

The pulley itself may leak if not installed properly. Check to see if the inner hex bolt is properly torqued down. Then make sure the outer cover thing is nice and snug. Also make sure that the contact surfaces are absolutely clean. A little dirt or dust may be all it needs to allow a little bit of oil to drip out.

Also, those 5 small bolts around the pulley. DO NOT ever remove those. If you do, the pulley is toast and you'll need to get a replacement.
Old 08-25-07, 01:46 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The pulley itself may leak if not installed properly. Check to see if the inner hex bolt is properly torqued down. Then make sure the outer cover thing is nice and snug. Also make sure that the contact surfaces are absolutely clean. A little dirt or dust may be all it needs to allow a little bit of oil to drip out.

Also, those 5 small bolts around the pulley. DO NOT ever remove those. If you do, the pulley is toast and you'll need to get a replacement.
Thanks again, i did a clean install last time, also i DID not remove the 5 small bolts - i read the warning printed on the Cover.

Do you have the torque settings for the inner and the outer (Cap) hex bolts?

I have the FSM for the non VVTi version so i dont have any refrence for the install of the Tbelt in a VVTi version - but i did install the Tbelt after turning
it to the rightmost of its free play range.

Still figuring it out.....
Old 08-25-07, 09:46 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

The VVTi pulley is a bit tricky since there is quite a bit of free play in it. Just make sure to turn it to the end, and then torqe it down. I think you turn the pulley all the way clockwise till it stops. Then using a big *** adjustable wrench hold the hexagonal portion of the camshaft steady while tighening the 10mm hex holding on the VVTi cam gear. I don't really use any specific torque values since the 90' degree tool can't exactly hook up to the torque wrench. I just get a longer piece of metal pipe for more leverage and tighten the crap out of that hex bolt . The outer 14mm hex cover piece doesn't needa be that tight. The actual torque spec for the 10mm is 60ft/lb. The outer disc cover thing is 11ft/lb.
Old 08-25-07, 10:15 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

Jeff,

Just a thought , if i had installed the VVTi pulley slightly out of sync in timing, can the system try to over correct and hence the leak via the pulley?

Also the car is a JDM import.

I also have a Factory Twin turbo GS300(Aristo).

I see you have a NA-T , did you retain the VVTi or remove it when you boosted it.
Old 08-25-07, 04:39 PM
EliteLexus
Rookie

That leak looks like its from the crush ring around the cam bolt cover bolt (big hex bolt) If the oil is sitting in the cam gear then it has to be leaking from that point forward and the only seal at that point is that one.
Old 08-26-07, 01:37 AM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

Can the leak be from between the 2 parts of the cam gear? (Rounded Area)

Old 08-26-07, 10:32 PM
murarie
Driver School Candidate

Bump......

Updated Pics.

Quick Reply: VVTi Pulley - Oil Leak!!