GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY Chrome Grill w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 11:09 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Eppan,

Actually after looking closer at that pic it looks like the 2001 GS Grill.. Someone correct me if I am wrong.. I scanned this pic from my 2000 GS brochure so that is kinda weird.. Notice how much bigger the "L" is on that grill that is how the New GS grill looks and the two little pieces aren't on each side of the grill.. I haven't tried it but from what I read the '01 grill will fit in the '98 - '00 cars again someone correct me if I am wrong..
Old 01-02-02, 11:26 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm that is interesting. Didn't know that came from a 2000 GS brochure.

Well, has anyone purchased a new designed grill...and did it come with the L on it....and if not did the 98~2000 L fit on the new redesigned grill.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-02, 11:44 PM
mayandoom
Driver

Default Tomorrow

I will let you know tomorrow evening when I pick mine up.
Old 01-03-02, 12:07 AM
eppan
Pole Position

2SAVVY,

I was checking the gallery and the 2001 grill looks different to me.
Old 01-03-02, 01:25 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Hmm...take a look at this picture that I attached (sorry CSHFLW and LEXTACTY44 who's big keeps getting targeted!! hehe):

The 2001 grill is on the right. Now count the number of 'bars' from left to right until it FIRST intersects the 'L' symbol. I count 10.

Compare this to the big pic posted above from the Lexus brochure. I count 10 also! Surprising that it was printed in a 2000 GS brochure?? :eek:

Maybe they changed grills a year earlier in Japan?

Anyways, the 2001+ grill really does look a lot better and I can't wait to see someone chrome it out!
Attached Thumbnails DIY Chrome Grill w/pics-bumper.jpg  
Old 01-03-02, 03:24 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Ok...now it looks pretty much the same as the brochure except not being chrome. The ones I saw was at an angle and thus looked different for some reason.

I definetly agree that the 2001 grill is much better from afar...IMO...the only thing I personally don't care for is the side of the ribs being fatter. However, that requires an up close view....so no big deal. Have to wait for a 2001 grill I guess. Damn, I hate waiting.

Oh...also if you look at the "L" it is shaped differently...more oval...so you will need a new one if the 2001 does not come with it.

>>>Anyone who upgraded with a Ltuned/RMM etc...grill care to sell their stock 2001 grill????

Last edited by eppan; 01-03-02 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-13-02, 01:26 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

mayandoom,

Did you finish your '01 grill yet??
If so could you post some pics please.. Any problems with installing it on a non '01 GS??
Old 01-15-02, 07:43 AM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

I have had my 2001 grill chrome for a while I will get you guys the pics today so you can see the difference.
Old 01-15-02, 02:20 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

Erfan

I really like my infiniti j30, it has 180k miles on it, and i dorve it for almost 1000 miles now. here is what i think.

I get respect for owning a car like this from guys, and most importantly girls
People think this car cost me a LOT more then it did
The interior design is by far better then the 95 maxima which my sis has, it feels rounder and roomier. It makes the niterior of the 2000 maxima seem harsh and hard.
The seats are great for long distance driving, and the climate control is very easy to adjust on the fly.
There isnt as much rear leg room as in some other cars, but you wont be the one sitting in the back anyway.
In other words the interior is very pleasing to the eye, touch, and even my nose
Now on to the engine. The engine noise is pretty loud, most cars you dont even hear it, but you hear it in this car, its not too bad since i like car noises, but some people think its not so good. The exhaust note is average.
The acceleration, its feels kinda heavy the first 20mph, but then it kicks into gear and pushes you into the seats well, and it feels great and adequately fast. Driving at 70 mph is lovely, the steering wheel doesnt shake and acceleration at higher speeds is more impressive than on a 1995 maxima. The best mechanical part is the feel of the steering wheel, which is very smooth and dependant on your speed, its so smooth, i put my hands on my lap, and drive with my thumb and index finger. The gas pedal is nice and big, and the feel to it is very smooth. I paid 3750, so you shouldnt pay more than 5k for a car with less miles. I recommend this car to you, but my dream was an sc400, maybe if you can get me this car, we can trade.
Old 01-16-02, 07:34 AM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

I posted the pic of my 2001 grill in chrome in a new thread.
Old 01-16-02, 09:49 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You mean you're going to make me get the link myself!?! HA!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=31574

LEXTACY44, your grill looks great. I can't believe how well this DIY trick works. I wonder if the '00 RX gill is the same underneath. I know I can just get an '01 grill that already has chrome, but I like the '00 style - more vertical slats going across. It'd be different. Very cool guys.

-Nick
Old 01-16-02, 02:22 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexRX
You mean you're going to make me get the link myself!?! HA!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=31574

LEXTACY44, your grill looks great. I can't believe how well this DIY trick works. I wonder if the '00 RX gill is the same underneath. I know I can just get an '01 grill that already has chrome, but I like the '00 style - more vertical slats going across. It'd be different. Very cool guys.

-Nick
Nick I was taking a look at a '00 grill this morning on a RX at my local dealership and it looks like it is chrome underneath.. Take a peek at your grill for little stone chips and if it is shiney underneath then for sure you can do the DIY Chrome grill..

LEXTACY44,

Thanks for the post on your '01 grill.. Looks sweet!
I was at my local dealership this morning getting an oil and filter change then the mechanic asked me where I got my grill chromed.. I just smiled and said I did it myself then walked away..
Before leaving I told him how I did it.. He was amazed why Lexus would paint the grill since it looks so nice with a hint of chrome.. Pretty cheap mod that gets noticed..
Old 01-16-02, 03:10 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

Nick I was taking a look at a '00 grill this morning on a RX at my local dealership and it looks like it is chrome underneath.. Take a peek at your grill for little stone chips and if it is shiney underneath then for sure you can do the DIY Chrome grill..
I'll try to remember to look at my grill the next time I go outside, but I don't think I have any chips on it yet Lucky me, they have all hit the hood instead

One concern, do you think the DIY chrome grill will start rust after a while? Anyone have any long-term experince. The pics I have seen here on CL of the exposed chrome lead me to believe it won't. Just a thought.

-Nick
Old 01-16-02, 04:19 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LexRX,

Another way, MAYBE, to determine if your grill is chrome underneath is to look at the back side of the grill. I noticed on my 2000GS grill, the back side is chrome. I too chromed the grill and many people ask who did it and how much is cost and of course I do the same as 2SAVVY, Grin, say "I did it myself." Usually, I don't get the chance to walk away before they ask HOW? HOW MUCH? WOW! etc.

You could also just chip it youself!

MAC
Old 01-16-02, 06:36 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by 0260n5.7

You could also just chip it youself!

MAC
blasphemy!:eek:

Quick Reply: DIY Chrome Grill w/pics