GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 04:09 PM
400PR00F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
It's actually not bad at all, the main problem I had was with the coupling. I can now tear down the door in under 20 minutes and get the actuator out. I created my own coupling with a dremel and epoxy and that alone took me 3 hours due to my own mistake but now the problem I have is the big gear returning back to home position when electrically locked. When unlocked electrically it can function normally and returns back to home. When locked, I cannot unlock manually due to the big gear getting stuck somehow and not returning back to home position.
I don't understand. Did you remove the big gear and spring when you opened the actuator?? How did you open the actuator? Is the big gear binding up somewhere? You might have put it back together with something reversed or the cable from the lock to the actuator is caught in the sleeve...
Old 09-11-08, 06:36 PM
lexuseng
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More tips

I just completed the rear door actuator motor replacement. Really kudo's for all that submitted as they learned. The rear door panel was really easy to remove, didn't break any of the snaps that I have done in the past. After removing the screws to remove the actuator, lift the door handle from the outside to ease the assembly out. The actual motor casing is a sealed unit and is easy to break. The 2 case halves are tongue and groove and bonded together. I used a utility knife between the case halves to cut through the tongue and groove. If you try to pry before you have cut through, you will only end up breaking the case. Give yourself 15 minutes to do the job, be careful not to cut yourself and you can get the case apart in 2 pieces. Makes it easier to glue back together. I thought of using a Dremel tool but after seeing how much grease is inside the unit, all the dust/debris from a Dremel tool would probably muck up the works. I did put a piece of foam tape on the side opposite the electrical contacts to give it more contact force (the original motor also had some foam tape on it). Oh yeah, the coupling is hard to get off but do it just like the picture. I bent a few nails (blunt them first). Took about 3 hours including a trip to the local hardware store for a Torx 30 bit so that plus the $1 motor saved me over $200!
Old 09-21-08, 11:06 AM
Momscar
Driver School Candidate

I didn't see RX300 mentioned in this thread, but will this motor work on my rear doors?
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-NEW-Mabuchi-Mi...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-14-08, 01:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can anyone guess what when wrong? My remote works but I cannot manually lock/unlock using my key or using the manual lock unlock button. Only the remote and the unlock/lock power button works.

It sucks because when I'm inside the car and all doors are locked, and I decide to go out buy opening the door from the inside, the door opens but it remains locked (it would suck if I still have the keys inside).

PM me if you know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-14-08, 06:51 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I did one of my doors with an Ebay motor last week and brought this out to the garage on the laptop. This thread saved me alot of money and my door works great!
Old 10-15-08, 05:56 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
Can anyone guess what when wrong? My remote works but I cannot manually lock/unlock using my key or using the manual lock unlock button. Only the remote and the unlock/lock power button works.

It sucks because when I'm inside the car and all doors are locked, and I decide to go out buy opening the door from the inside, the door opens but it remains locked (it would suck if I still have the keys inside).

PM me if you know what I'm talking about.
I would guess that one of the cables has fallen off that connects the thumb (manual) lock unlock button to the locking mechanism on the door.

Should be easy to fix. You might need a cable if the plastic cable guide is broken.

BP
Old 10-15-08, 09:25 PM
mtshdtv
Driver School Candidate

TRD...excellent detailed article! FYI: I was able to make this repair on my 98 Honda Accord, I believe it's the same motor, shaft end, and plastic gear. Also, if you don't wanna go through all the trouble of removing shaft ends, I just found the Honda OEM actuator on a direct parts website for around $20. I used wire splicers to hold the shaft better while tapping out (light tapping is all you need) and definitely use some heat. Also I'll have 2-3 motors left if anyone is interested. Hope this helps more people!
Old 10-16-08, 10:58 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Anyone in Ohio wanna do mine for me?
Old 10-16-08, 11:08 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks.

I'm positive the cables are good. I re-installed it. I must have something not put in the right place. Turning the key from outside didn't budge and pressing the manual lock from the inside didn't budge either. I will look at the other door to compare. Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted by TRD911
I would guess that one of the cables has fallen off that connects the thumb (manual) lock unlock button to the locking mechanism on the door.

Should be easy to fix. You might need a cable if the plastic cable guide is broken.

BP
Old 11-21-08, 07:31 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, so I rebuilt my actuator a few months ago with the ebay motors right... and I thought everything worked great. Using the remote and the lock/unlock button inside the car works fine. But the other day, a person was sitting in the back seat of my car and when I parked and got out... the person couldn't unlock the door from the inside to get out!

If I unlock all the doors, and open that rear door, I can lock it with my finger, and the door is locked again. Use the remote to unlock it again, open it up, lock and unlock it manually, and it stays unlocked.... but for some reason, if the door is locked and shut, you can not unlock it from the inside! You can't even move the button to the unlock position. It's like jammed. What'd I do wrong?
Old 11-21-08, 07:46 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not checked this as my wife drives the GS, (turbo SC300 for me ) but could the child lock on that door be activated?
Old 11-21-08, 08:39 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, that's what my girls suggested last night. So I ran outside in 25 degree weather to go check real quick in my PJ's. I ended up locking myself in the car. That's not it!
Old 11-21-08, 08:52 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

That's funny. Wow 25 degrees... I was roasting yesterday in AZ.
Old 11-27-08, 05:40 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

has anyone in new york city done this???
Old 12-15-08, 05:14 PM
Mark
Intermediate

I tried to do the mod--very difficult to re-install--have to have small fingers. But great write up and thank you.

Last edited by Mark; 11-02-10 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???