GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 04:17 AM
HHGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member here!! I would like to thank all those who have posted on this thread and without it I would never have tried to fix the acutuators. I started the repair before I got all the way through the thread and had no problems until all the windows started to roll down!!! My hand was under the window track and was pinned for a few minutes. I was able to get my hand out and the only damage was to the solid cable of the door acutuator. After reading the remainder of the thread I found that this had happened to a few others and would recommend disconnecting the battery before doing this DIY. The acutuator is now working but the windows sometimes roll themselves down for no reason(also sunroof). I am assuming it has something to do with the solid cable being a little bent. If anyone has any ideas on what would cause this problem I would appreciate your input. Thanks again for the help!!!

Fred
Old 03-25-10, 10:18 AM
gsabeauty
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Hi all, thank you for this post and all the feed back. I am very excited that I finally will change my acutuator, this weekend. I wasn't looking forward paying someone to do this for me. So with this DIY I'm sure it'll be pretty easy. Thanks a bunch. BTW I love this forum!
Old 04-01-10, 05:42 PM
roofmaster
Driver School Candidate

Default Motor availability

I just ordered 4 motors for $34.00 plus $4.80 shipping from rdlawrence@gmail.com on EBAY. Motor is described as FC280PC-22125 on EBAY. Installed front passenger door today and no problems. Worked fine. The motor shaft is "bare", so you will need to remove the key shaft or collar from the old motor if it has one. I had the key shaft model and put it in a vise and used a punch to remove it. When I pressed the key shaft back on, I used Loctite Sleeve Bearing glue. (Do not get this stuff in the motor).

You do not have to remove the mirror, courtesy light or window to repair. I did find that is is easier to remove the door lock, leave the actuator loose and reconnect the linkages before putting everything back together. Then put the door lock back and mount the actuator.

My total time was about 2 1/2 hours to remove actuator, replace motor, glue actuator back together and re-assemble.

It will probably take 1 1/2 hours or less when I repair the next one.

Learn by experience! Good luck!!!
Old 04-13-10, 02:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by roofmaster
FC280PC-22125
so after going to the store and picking up my chrome trim i found out my drivers door actuator is out.........

so is the motor above the current motor to use? i saw that cause EVERY TIME i see to look at this thread someone is talking about a different motor. i just want something i can simply do..[COLOR="Red"]ugh so i read the first 11 pages or so and i really seems like everyone always is asking bout a different motor. which one will work that is still available?

wow seller even lists this thread on this listing, but are these the correct motors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-pk-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by sakataj; 04-13-10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 06:23 PM
jonIllest
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those are the correct motors
i actually got mine from that exact seller on ebay
Old 04-13-10, 09:56 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonIllest
those are the correct motors
i actually got mine from that exact seller on ebay
ty u very much
Old 04-16-10, 09:03 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Default oops...

if i broke these (borrowed pic from importhope)

can i replace ONLY the cable or am i screwed and have to replace the actuator assy? i broke BOTH my front ones..........
Attached Thumbnails Door Lock Acutuators   DIY ???-door-act..jpg  
Old 04-16-10, 11:44 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
if i broke these (borrowed pic from importhope)

can i replace ONLY the cable or am i screwed and have to replace the actuator assy? i broke BOTH my front ones..........
power door locks will still work. manual lock may not. mine's broke, still works.
Old 04-19-10, 10:12 PM
tewbert
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the write-up. I just bought a '99 GS300 and the driver's door lock was the only one that worked. I bought some of the Ebay motors and did 3 doors in a couple of hours. To get the motor/gear case open, I used a single edged razor blade and a small hammer. I tapped the blade along the seam allowing the razor to slice through. It made a neat cut and allowed the two pieces to fit back together cleanly. Saved me hundreds! My cost was $10 per motor and a few hours time. Awesome.
Old 04-19-10, 11:16 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by onihc
power door locks will still work. manual lock may not. mine's broke, still works.

mines not....im gonna try the heat shrink and then the epoxy and then who knows
Old 04-20-10, 09:29 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol of course when I need it, the prices get inflated...story of my freakin life ha ha ha

Last edited by CPMD; 03-22-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 10:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cpmd
lol of course when I need it, the prices get inflated...story of my freakin life ha ha ha
Yeah, I just saw that, over $8 for those little motors and it looks like you have to order 2 or 4. I guess it is better then paying over $500 for the dealership to fix each one though. I am still going to look for better deals. They even have a DIY on the webpage. I remember Lexus corporate telling me there was no issue with their door lock actuators and it was the first time they heard about it.
Old 04-22-10, 10:30 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
They even have a DIY on the webpage.
link please.....?
Old 04-22-10, 07:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
link please.....?
Sorry, I meant the seller had a link to the DIY on Clublexus which I was just saying shows this is a pretty common issue and not just isolated like I was told.
Old 04-23-10, 09:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Sorry, I meant the seller had a link to the DIY on Clublexus which I was just saying shows this is a pretty common issue and not just isolated like I was told.
lol, ok i thought u were saying lexus corp had a link to this...i wasnt gonna believe that till i saw it

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???