GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pictures: GS400 timing belt parts and part #'s. How-to soon.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 11:58 PM
pimplux808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u never know though , u do all that and then u leak , that would suck to take that all off again ......what i do is try to change as much as possible, i have bad luck to were if i change somthing , something else goes and i gotta take everythiing off , and that sucks.....bad luck =(
Old 01-18-08, 09:23 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

so I am in the middle of the whole timing belt process and I will admit that I was unaware that you must take apart half of the motor haha. I am only 2 hours into it, and I am finally getting to where I need to be before I called it a night.

I wasnt aware that I must pull the power steering pully and considering I dont have the tool to do so, I must wait until tomorrow to get the puller. After that, I feel its just a matter of taking that off, sliding out the alternator... removing the bracket.... then geting to the water pump.. changing that... then timing belt... blah blah blah..

Its much easier taking it apart I am afraid... putting it back together with no manual is going to be a paaaain.. but hey... its saving me money as long as I do it correctly.
Old 01-18-08, 09:29 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dcz
so I am in the middle of the whole timing belt process and I will admit that I was unaware that you must take apart half of the motor haha. I am only 2 hours into it, and I am finally getting to where I need to be before I called it a night.

I wasnt aware that I must pull the power steering pully and considering I dont have the tool to do so, I must wait until tomorrow to get the puller. After that, I feel its just a matter of taking that off, sliding out the alternator... removing the bracket.... then geting to the water pump.. changing that... then timing belt... blah blah blah..

Its much easier taking it apart I am afraid... putting it back together with no manual is going to be a paaaain.. but hey... its saving me money as long as I do it correctly.
I have yet had to use a puller for the PS pulley. Spray it , let sit overnight. Remove nut and wiggle it off. Should come off pretty easily.
Old 01-19-08, 08:02 PM
dcz
Pole Position

wow... that was a time consuming venture... I am going to invest in a manual next time to tell me where all the bolts are at for certain brackets haha...
Old 01-20-08, 09:18 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Some things that I feel may have made the process go more smoothly... (first time ive done this job...)

Order the seal from your water pump to your thermostat... I didnt order because it wasnt shown in the picture... If not, get some $7 gasket maker that will suffice.

If you order from Carson, dont order a water pump gasket... its included with the purchase of a water pump.... (If anyone needs a gasket... I will give you my spare)

When removing the pulley assembly near the AC compressor... there are two bolts that go in the side of the ac compressor that must be removed before the bracket comes off... ( I couldnt see them and thought it was hanging up on something)

When placing the timing belt on.... I had a problem with removing all the tension between the left side cam and the crank. (looking at the motor, It was on the right side) .. Maybe there was an easy way to do it...or it doesnt matter, but I wanted as much slack removed as possible... That was probably the most stressful/hard part in the process. ( Anyone know what I am talking about and find out how to do it?) I kept having an extra tooth in there that I was uncomfortable with.

If I can think of anything else, I will post it up... Some of the tools you will beed are 10mm-14mm sockets... a 22mm socket... breaker bar... phillips head screwdriver... gasket maker... a gallon of coolant and some water... and the parts featured in the picture...

I did the job for under $250 with parts... thats under $1000 from the cheapest estimate in my area...

I have a hook-up at a local lexus dealership and at employee cost I got quoted $486.

I got all that I needed besides the gasket maker and coolant from Carson Toyota shipped to GA for $225. Thanks for that guys... To anyone thinking about doing this... if you have any experience working on cars, it really wasnt bad at all... just stressful seeing your car in 100 different pieces.

My final advice and I will shut up... I would recommend labeling all of the bolts and placing them in cups or bags to where they go... ex.. tensioner assembly bolts...ac compressor bracket... etc... with all this said... good luck! It took me about 10 hours and that included lunch breaks and going to the part store twice that was 30 min away..
Old 01-22-08, 12:09 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

first off, a HUGE thank you to the OP and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. I just placed my order with Carson and it came to about $235.00 shipped ground to PA... not to mention I'm gonna have the local toyota shop do the labor. I pretty much limit myself to easy stuff like plugs, brake pads, fluid changes, TB cleaning, filters, etc.

I remember when I bought my first GS back in 2000, and I walked into the stealership for the first time and saw the chart with hourly labor rates on the wall.....$95.00/hour....and that was 8 years ago. Can't imagine what it is now.
Old 01-22-08, 06:31 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my water pump... and there is an extra bolt in the box? What is that for? I have done two Toyota 4.7L Tundras and both had the extra bolt...

I was just wondering if anyone knew what that bolt was for?

BP
Old 04-05-08, 10:31 PM
dcz
Pole Position

an extra bolt? I remember using everything that they gave me except an extra water pump gasket. There should only be 5 as far as I know... Its been atleast 2 months since I have done it, so dont take my word for it, but if there are not 6 holes on the water pump, then dont worry about it...
Old 04-20-08, 04:48 PM
MJK
Rookie

First off, THANK YOU to everyone who has posted here.

I am trying to gather up all the parts & knowledge necessary to do this. My 02 GS4 is nearing 90k and I don't want to touch anything in the area for another 90k. So, if someone can review my shopping list and let me know what I am missing I would appreciate it.

Serpentine Belt - 90916-02586 - $38
Timing Belt - 13568-09070 - $42
Timing Idler rt side - 13505-0F010 - $65
Timing Idler lft side - 13503-0F010 - $65
Timing Tensioner - 13540-50030 - $41
Water Pump - 16100-59275-83 - $105
Water Pump o-ring #1 - 96761-35035 - $3
Water Pump o-ring #2 - 96761-24019 - $2
Crank seal - 90311-A0001 - $7
Coolant bypass hose - 16261-50090 - $4
Thermostat - 90916-03100 - $14
Thermostat gasket - 16346-50010 - $3

Anything else I should replace while I am in there? (alternator brushes, hoses, other gaskets, etc) ? I have already changed the trans & diff fluids.

Also, I have the factory service manual, and have been reading through it. It mentions several special tools to remove crank pulley, rotate crank pulley, rotate cams just to name a few. Do I really need these? I am trying to keep this on a reasonable budget.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Last edited by MJK; 04-20-08 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-23-08, 08:34 PM
gadgeeets
Rookie

I'm thinking about doing the timing belt replacemant myself i was wondering what special tools do i need for this job
Old 04-23-08, 08:38 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you guys read through all of the threads you will have a pretty good idea of what you need. Obviously a nice set of metric tools.

The hardest part is the crank pulley which has been discussed many times. Once you have that tackled everything is gravy
Old 04-30-08, 09:16 PM
MJK
Rookie

Forget it, job done.

Last edited by MJK; 05-03-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 12:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Youtube + DIY =

It'll require some planning and a good camcorder; bring a few friends. We won't have to deal with pictures expiring etc...
Old 08-17-09, 03:17 PM
Vincenza V
Driver School Candidate

Default Crank Seal Obsolete?

I tried this part number in Carson's and Sewell's,
Crank seal - 90311-A0001 - $7. I got nothing. I couldn't even see it offered by searching for the crankshaft and parts. Anyone know why it's not coming up?
Old 08-17-09, 10:10 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

there is also a black o-ring for the water pump, don't forget. that will cause to over heat.

Quick Reply: Pictures: GS400 timing belt parts and part #'s. How-to soon.