GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how to add freon to a/c system

Old 08-06-10, 11:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bamin1966
Sakataj,

My AC in not blowing cold air. Got the refill kit and when i connected the gauge it showed about 95 psi (AC / fan was turned to max) in the red zone which indicated mechanical problem.

Also read servo issues threads, here is my situation:
1) When AC was working there used be clicking sounds behind the driver panel. Now I cannot hear anything.

2) As the temps in FL are around 90F I cannot test if it is blow hot when heaters on

I do see when the AC is switched on the RPM increase.

So not sure how to check if this is a servo issue

Appreciate any help.
sorry....saw u mention this but its fri and our 2nd busiest day of the week... PM with whatever you wanna ask but i probably wont be back on till monday to answer you

Originally Posted by dl11
Well, it worked pretty well for me though. My ac just wasn't blowing that cold. I would say it was cool and took a long time for it to become cold. So, I adjusted the gauge on the bottle to 95 deg F which listed a zone of about 45-55 psi. I saw that mine was around 38 psi after it was on for a while and I had been driving. So, I pumped the can in which got me to 45 psi. Now, it blows cool-cold within a min or 2 after turning the car on while its been sitting in the sun. According to the gauge, I was at the min after filling it up. Guess I got lucky? Anyways, I saw my mechanic had the gauges and should have let him do it.
well glad u got it fixed but as i said 45 psi is a little high but again glad u got it fixed. i have never messed with the cheap ac refill things from autozone or wherever. if u have issues next time, i would have the mechanic look at it. i love my ac in my gs i can get to high 30's (38 degrees)
Old 08-25-11, 12:04 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys, 99 GS4. I've been researching this issue, reading lots of threads, and this one seems to be the most relevant. I bought a can of R134A and a can of sealant, but before I do the job, two questions:

(1) What's the verdict on the stuff that seals the leak? Can it damage the system by glomming on to things other than the part that's leaking?

(2) The tube that came with the can is about the length of the can. The directions say that you have to hold the can upright to dispense the refrigerant. If I connect one end of the hose to the low pressure side and the other side of the hose to the top of the bottle, that would mean the bottle would be all the way down in the engine compartment. Is that right? Do I really have to hold the can upright?

Thanks.

e
Old 08-25-11, 12:47 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys, 99 GS4. I've been researching this issue, reading lots of threads, and this one seems to be the most relevant. I bought a can of R134A and a can of sealant, but before I do the job, two questions:

(1) What's the verdict on the stuff that seals the leak? Can it damage the system by glomming on to things other than the part that's leaking?

(2) The tube that came with the can is about the length of the can. The directions say that you have to hold the can upright to dispense the refrigerant. If I connect one end of the hose to the low pressure side and the other side of the hose to the top of the bottle, that would mean the bottle would be all the way down in the engine compartment. Is that right? Do I really have to hold the can upright?

Thanks.

e
what brand of sealant are you using? i recommend and personally have used the one cliplight sells that we carry at work

why are you ? if you hold it upside down if the manufacturer tells you to do so? if you see the button that says DO NOT PUSH THE RED BUTTON would you push it because you think its ok?

BTW this is why you hold the can upside down.. because all little cans are a blend or freons, the molecules will separate in the gas form but when its a liquid they will not so you hold it upside down to charge it in a gas form.

instead of R134 try R414B it runs cooler and is a direct drop it, i have it in my GS which i can get down to about 38 degrees out of the vents

Last edited by sakataj; 08-25-11 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 12:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
sorry....saw u mention this but its fri and our 2nd busiest day of the week... PM with whatever you wanna ask but i probably wont be back on till monday to answer you

well glad u got it fixed but as i said 45 psi is a little high but again glad u got it fixed. i have never messed with the cheap ac refill things from autozone or wherever. if u have issues next time, i would have the mechanic look at it. i love my ac in my gs i can get to high 30's (38 degrees)
Your coldest is 38 degrees F? That's pretty good. I don't think mines that cold. Maybe 40's.
Old 08-25-11, 01:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Your coldest is 38 degrees F? That's pretty good. I don't think mines that cold. Maybe 40's.
john i could swear that on road trips i have seen it as low as 33 degrees, im telling you that hotshot (r414b) is the best freon for cars out now-a-days....
Old 08-25-11, 02:16 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

what brand of sealant are you using? i recommend and personally have used the one cliplight sells that we carry at work

why are you ? if you hold it upside down if the manufacturer tells you to do so? if you see the button that says DO NOT PUSH THE RED BUTTON would you push it because you think its ok?

BTW this is why you hold the can upside down.. because all little cans are a blend or freons, the molecules will separate in the gas form but when its a liquid they will not so you hold it upside down to charge it in a gas form.

instead of R134 try R414B it runs cooler and is a direct drop it, i have it in my GS which i can get down to about 38 degrees out of the vents

Hey Sakataj. I was hoping you would respond. Maybe I misread the directions, but I thought they said you had to hold the can right-side-up, not upside down. My point is that it would be almost impossible to hold the can right side up without getting underneath the car because the low side valve is way down in the engine well. Does that make sense?

As for the brand, I'm not sure, but I bought both the freon and the sealant at Pep Boys. The can of freon says that it has a sealant agent in it as well, so maybe I don't need the separate can of sealant.

e
Old 08-25-11, 02:39 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

john i could swear that on road trips i have seen it as low as 33 degrees, im telling you that hotshot (r414b) is the best freon for cars out now-a-days....
I'm MACS certified ever since 2005. Since then, I haven't touched the A/C system since then so I already forgot EVERYTHING lol. This r414b is that what you are running on your car? Did you have to do a retrofit or they are interchangeable? But 33F is ridiculously COLD. Is that with the original condenser and receiver dryer? That's a damn air tight system you got.

I remember one guy in my A/C class he had an 89 Honda CRX and his A/C was blowing 32F!! I was like WTF lol. He's on r12.

I remember our instructor didn't let us use the word "Freon" but instead "Refrigerant" lol.
Old 08-25-11, 09:56 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Sakataj. I was hoping you would respond. Maybe I misread the directions, but I thought they said you had to hold the can right-side-up, not upside down. My point is that it would be almost impossible to hold the can right side up without getting underneath the car because the low side valve is way down in the engine well. Does that make sense?
see how we PROPERLY charge a car is using real gauges and u run the refrigerant through the charging hose which is 6 feet long then you hold the can upside down...

I'm MACS certified ever since 2005. Since then, I haven't touched the A/C system since then so I already forgot EVERYTHING lol. This r414b is that what you are running on your car? Did you have to do a retrofit or they are interchangeable? But 33F is ridiculously COLD. Is that with the original condenser and receiver dryer? That's a damn air tight system you got.

I remember one guy in my A/C class he had an 89 Honda CRX and his A/C was blowing 32F!! I was like WTF lol. He's on r12.

I remember our instructor didn't let us use the word "Freon" but instead "Refrigerant" lol.
yes john 414b is interchangeable. yes, with the original condensor and dryer....

r12 used to be the **** but 414b is just as good

freon really is just a brand name, its all refrigerant
Old 08-25-11, 11:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

see how we PROPERLY charge a car is using real gauges and u run the refrigerant through the charging hose which is 6 feet long then you hold the can upside down...

yes john 414b is interchangeable. yes, with the original condensor and dryer....

r12 used to be the **** but 414b is just as good

freon really is just a brand name, its all refrigerant
Nice. How does r134a compared to r414b?
Old 08-26-11, 08:04 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Nice. How does r134a compared to r414b?
go read john.....

http://www.icorinternational.com/hotshot.html

but it does run cooler than R134a and comes in a 10oz can...if u dont wanna buy the big jug
Old 08-26-11, 09:00 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Kool Thanks. Imma check it out now.

BTW, how cold were you running with the r134a prior?
Old 08-26-11, 10:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

how cold were you running with the r134a prior?
like 44-46 degrees
Old 08-26-11, 11:12 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

like 44-46 degrees
Wow. My ac is around that range too
Old 01-18-14, 07:15 PM
Dnelson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sakataj, I have to recharge my system and want to fill it with R414B but can not find it anywhere. Do you or anyone else know where I can get some from? Thanks -D
Old 03-29-15, 08:49 PM
biannguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 250 a/c not getting cold, heat work well

Ive been searching some thread in tje forum and see people it would be the freon problem . Is it right ? And does anyone have the source to show video or step by step picture how to recharge freon on the is250 2007 ?
Will be thankful for your help .