GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Retrofit Showoff!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 09:01 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BIGEZ,
I'm working on a similar retrofit for the profile LED for DRLs and wondering how you wired the white drl line? I couldn't get mine to work for drls by tapping the red or black line on the led unit and ended up tapping the blk/blue line on the parking lights. Can you help?

Thanks.
Old 03-17-20, 01:13 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent$mith
BIGEZ,
I'm working on a similar retrofit for the profile LED for DRLs and wondering how you wired the white drl line? I couldn't get mine to work for drls by tapping the red or black line on the led unit and ended up tapping the blk/blue line on the parking lights. Can you help?

Thanks.
I used a SPDT relay and connected the 12v wire to power LED's when the car is running. I totally bypassed the stock DRL system. I am working on another set for my buddy I will get some pics in a few days for you.
Old 03-17-20, 02:46 PM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

BiGEZ,
Thanks for replying. Hmm need to look up SPDT relay. I was wondering if it was possible to get the white drl line to work with the stock 9005 line or something. Trying to see if I want to go that route eventually or keep it to my parking lights which doesn't look bad at all. I talked to TRS, and they said the hi lens profile was meant for a separate drl circuit. Here's my contribution and excuse my pale legs. :P

Old 03-18-20, 07:53 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

How did you guys mount the LED for the high beam into the housing? Did you make a bracket or something?
Old 03-18-20, 08:19 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

I figured out a way to get both the DRL and Hi beam on the Profile working. You will still need to use the SPDT relay to power the Profile DRL light anyway since the stock DRL only puts out 6 volts. The Profile units needs a full 12volt supply to operate the LED hence, the SPDT relay.
You will need to tee off the ground wire from each of the Profile units. One end of the ground wire goes with the Hi Beam wire from the Profile unit to a 9005 plug and connected to the stock Hi Beam plug. This will operate the Hi Beam when needed. The other ground wires are grounded to the chassis of the car.
The Profile DRL power wire will be connected to the SPDT relay 12 volt wire to provide the power for each unit.
I tapped into a fuse in the passenger side footwell that provides 12 volts when the car is running to trigger the SPDT relay. This way the Profile DRL will operate as long as the car is running.
Hope this helps with your install.
I will get some pics of the set I am working in a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Agent$mith (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20, 08:34 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by captainva
How did you guys mount the LED for the high beam into the housing? Did you make a bracket or something?
No brackets are needed to install the Profile DRL/Hi Bean unit the GS headlight assembly. Once you open the headlight there is a threaded shaft on the projector that goes in the opening where the bulb goes. You will then remove the bulb and other hardware and drill out the opening a bit to get the shaft to fit, fairly easy. The projector has the hardware to fasten it to the headlight. The reflector bowl remains intact to allow for adjustments just like stock. I worked with Nate at TRS got select the parts for this upgrade, they are local to me.
The following users liked this post:
captainva (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20, 08:46 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
I figured out a way to get both the DRL and Hi beam on the Profile working. You will still need to use the SPDT relay to power the Profile DRL light anyway since the stock DRL only puts out 6 volts. The Profile units needs a full 12volt supply to operate the LED hence, the SPDT relay.
You will need to tee off the ground wire from each of the Profile units. One end of the ground wire goes with the Hi Beam wire from the Profile unit to a 9005 plug and connected to the stock Hi Beam plug. This will operate the Hi Beam when needed. The other ground wires are grounded to the chassis of the car.
The Profile DRL power wire will be connected to the SPDT relay 12 volt wire to provide the power for each unit.
I tapped into a fuse in the passenger side footwell that provides 12 volts when the car is running to trigger the SPDT relay. This way the Profile DRL will operate as long as the car is running.
Hope this helps with your install.
I will get some pics of the set I am working in a bit.
Ahh gotcha. I plugged the red and black lines from the led housing to the 9005 plug and then hooked it up stock. I was thinking the same about the 6 volts. I think I'll keep it hooked up to the parking lights. Do you think it'll be ok since I've read somewhere it has 12 volts coming out? I also removed the parking lights bulb since the led housing would overwhelm the area. Can't wait to see your results. This was my first retrofit to be honest and took a long time. Dremel was my friend.
Old 03-18-20, 08:51 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
No brackets are needed to install the Profile DRL/Hi Bean unit the GS headlight assembly. Once you open the headlight there is a threaded shaft on the projector that goes in the opening where the bulb goes. You will then remove the bulb and other hardware and drill out the opening a bit to get the shaft to fit, fairly easy. The projector has the hardware to fasten it to the headlight. The reflector bowl remains intact to allow for adjustments just like stock. I worked with Nate at TRS got select the parts for this upgrade, they are local to me.
Exactly as BiGEZ said. You know I didn't have to drill out the opening or anything. I let the screw nut go over with the led brackets to just hold it in place. I didn't want to modify the housing just in case I wanted to go back to stock and keep the hardware. That's why I chose the LED profile along with my Q45 build. I wanted all stock adjustments to work and not have to reopen the lens again. You are lucky BiGEZ to have them local. I had to buy at $100 increments to get free shipping. hahaha
Old 01-13-24, 10:56 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Are any of the OG retrofitters still around? I would like to swap my LS430 retro in new housing.