GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

$118 Car wash - mouse in the dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 01:06 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by yelnoc
My car did need washing and the labor was reasonable - filter however was like $75.
y would u pay 75 for a 20-35 cabin air filter (depending on which one you get)

Originally Posted by deejay
when i aquired my car, one of the first things i did was check out the cabin filter.
please beat the original owner for apparently NEVER changing or checking the oem filter

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Yea you mean the $118 car wash... thats strange...
if he's willing to pay 75 for a air filter, he's lucky they didnt charge him 300+ for the car wash!
Old 03-30-10, 01:45 PM
JRRRRRR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unhappy endings....

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
**BUMP**

Instead of creating a new thread, I'll bump this old one from the past. I'm familiar with the odor of a dead mouse and that's what I was sniffing when in my car. My first place to look was the cabin air filter and sure enough the rodent was there wedged in my charcoal air filter. So I plucked it and few leaves from the filter and took a pic with my camera phone. I read somewhere awhile ago here in CL of another member who had a mouse in their filter but It still amazes me that I found that thing in there.

Your tale, above, sounds too good to be true. My own horor flick has had a much more costly outcome. Not once, but TWICE, have rodents found their way into my 04 GS300. First time was 18 months ago. The poor creatures were not aware that, thanks to my obsessive nature about my cars, I refuse to ever eat inside one. There isn't so much as a crumb of anything, anywhere. But I digress..........

My tale of woe started with me just smelling what can only be described as wet fur. I wondered what it could be. Tried smelling myself and my shoes. That lasted one week then I found a 'calling card' on the dashboard. WTF?! Before I could respond the putrific odor of decaying flesh began to permeate the cabin. I took it to the Bellevue dealership. It required total removal of the dash to reach the dead body, cost $1,400.

Fast forward to 2010 and it is like Deja vu!!

I get in the car three weeks ago and once again smell wet fur. I talked myself down from the ledge (wish I hadn't done that) and convinced myself it was only my overreactive imagination. Then came the piles of rat **** on the carpet to prove my first hunch had been correct. That's when I leapt, rather late, into action with sticky trays on the floor mats. I caught nothing nada zip.

Then came the smell. Only this time it wasn't dead decaying flesh but rather the overpowering smell of urine and feces. I would have preferred the former. The high cost is holding me back from heading to the dealership. I simply cannot afford the kind of money it costs to remove the dash and clean up everything. So I drive with every window and the roof open (hoping it doesn't rain and I do live on the eastside of Seattle).

Just a word of advice to those of you who have never known the pleasure of an uninvited guest inside your Lexus. Our vehicles were designed to bring in fresh air. What my service advisor tells me, this fresh air intake might as well have a neon sign over it and the smell of cheese making it a broad avenue for rodents to pass into our otherwise pristine automobiles. In other words, "this happens alot" he said.

Your posting has given me the idea of simply starting with the cabin air filter. Perhaps there's an empty nest, which can be reached. If so, the smell in my car might be a less expensive repair.

I can only hope........

-JR
Old 03-30-10, 01:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

JR, wow, just wow. Just a terrible situation all around. Sorry.
Old 03-30-10, 02:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRRRRRR
Your tale, above, sounds too good to be true. My own horor flick has had a much more costly outcome. Not once, but TWICE, have rodents found their way into my 04 GS300. First time was 18 months ago. The poor creatures were not aware that, thanks to my obsessive nature about my cars, I refuse to ever eat inside one. There isn't so much as a crumb of anything, anywhere. But I digress..........

My tale of woe started with me just smelling what can only be described as wet fur. I wondered what it could be. Tried smelling myself and my shoes. That lasted one week then I found a 'calling card' on the dashboard. WTF?! Before I could respond the putrific odor of decaying flesh began to permeate the cabin. I took it to the Bellevue dealership. It required total removal of the dash to reach the dead body, cost $1,400.

I get in the car three weeks ago and once again smell wet fur. I talked myself down from the ledge (wish I hadn't done that) and convinced myself it was only my overreactive imagination. Then came the piles of rat **** on the carpet to prove my first hunch had been correct. That's when I leapt, rather late, into action with sticky trays on the floor mats. I caught nothing nada zip.

Then came the smell. Only this time it wasn't dead decaying flesh but rather the overpowering smell of urine and feces. I would have preferred the former. The high cost is holding me back from heading to the dealership. I simply cannot afford the kind of money it costs to remove the dash and clean up everything. So I drive with every window and the roof open (hoping it doesn't rain and I do live on the eastside of Seattle).

Just a word of advice to those of you who have never known the pleasure of an uninvited guest inside your Lexus. Our vehicles were designed to bring in fresh air. What my service advisor tells me, this fresh air intake might as well have a neon sign over it and the smell of cheese making it a broad avenue for rodents to pass into our otherwise pristine automobiles. In other words, "this happens alot" he said.

Your posting has given me the idea of simply starting with the cabin air filter. Perhaps there's an empty nest, which can be reached. If so, the smell in my car might be a less expensive repair.

I can only hope........

-JR
why dont u use the forum to remove the dash yourself....? then save the $ u woulda spent to do this and buy me some parts

i think bluelex did a DIY....or i know he did the color change interior so he could help u (i assume)
Old 05-25-11, 10:58 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRRRRRR

I can only hope........

-JR

I can so relate to this. I just picked up a '97 911 and so far I have found three dead mouse and one mice in the car. Worst part, two lived and died in the headliner of the car. Fortunately the car is a track car so I just decided to gut the headliner, along with select interior pieces.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to remove the feces/urine scent. Anyone know the tricks?
Old 05-25-11, 04:07 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Soarer
I can so relate to this. I just picked up a '97 911 and so far I have found three dead mouse and one mice in the car. Worst part, two lived and died in the headliner of the car. Fortunately the car is a track car so I just decided to gut the headliner, along with select interior pieces.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to remove the feces/urine scent. Anyone know the tricks?

Can you find the spots which have been hit? Clean it as much out as you can. Then spray things down with a vinegar solution or vinegar/baking soda solution. Search google for skunk smell odor tips, if it works for skunk, it'll work for urine.

The best is just more air and time.
Old 05-25-11, 07:43 PM
Redline26
Pole Position

I've never heard of this before, but definitely good to know!
Old 05-25-11, 11:30 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is gross! i woulda barfed seeing this.
Old 05-26-11, 05:33 AM
Lexlthr
Pole Position

That's just plain nasty! I'm going to get some moth ***** right now!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-11, 09:11 AM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

eeeewwwwwww nasty rodents!!!!
Old 09-19-12, 07:16 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

back from the dead, just stumbled upon this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kh1HWO4WlMI
Old 09-20-12, 12:26 AM
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
back from the dead, just stumbled upon this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kh1HWO4WlMI
Nasty. Hella work just to cover that opening sad:
Old 09-20-12, 12:46 AM
lexuslivin
Driver

To get rid of the smell of urine and feces, try Natures Miracle. You can find it it any pet store. It neutralizes the odor.
Old 09-20-12, 04:01 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

time to get some moth ***** in my garage. the other day i saw a mouse run across the garage and was praying it doesn't end up in my car. gonna go home a use the air blower from my compressor on my engine bay.
Old 09-20-12, 07:01 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I had my car sitting in my garage for 6 months or so, same thing happened to me. I kept seeing mouse **** in the car, and when I took the interior out to swap to black, sure enough a nest in my cabin filter. I also have an old Honda Accord that sits sometimes for a few weeks, mice made a big *** next in the blower motor. Its some nasty ****.

Quick Reply: $118 Car wash - mouse in the dash