GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

black ice. totalled. next steps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 02:07 PM
CLEV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for your loss brother hopefully you can get compensated enough to get another gs i park mines up for the winter the winters are crazy in pa keep your head up
Old 01-31-07, 02:27 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about ur misshap. It is alway's better for u to be present when the adjuster show's up. That is the time to express to him, how much u took care of the car, how clean it is, for him to notice u have no dent's etc. Even if he total's it, he will give u more, price wise. I f u never show up, they will alway's give u the least amount.
Old 01-31-07, 02:33 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear that bro......

wish you the best of luck
Old 01-31-07, 02:49 PM
rx4sc
Rookie

sorry about your loss....mine is also silver n grey just like yours
Old 01-31-07, 03:12 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blaise
Sorry to hear about ur misshap. It is alway's better for u to be present when the adjuster show's up. That is the time to express to him, how much u took care of the car, how clean it is, for him to notice u have no dent's etc. Even if he total's it, he will give u more, price wise. I f u never show up, they will alway's give u the least amount.
Where have you heard that from???

Being in a similar situation before, first, I am sorry for your loss. It's tough that's for sure. Luckily no one was injured.

The adjuster will come out, irregardless of you being there, and assess the cost of repair and the cost of parts. All of this information is from a computer and not entered manually, which why being there or mentioning how well you took care of your car won't matter. They have heard it all dozens of times...

If I had to guess, there's a 50/50 chance of repair, only unless they assess the amount of engine damage you have. If the engine won't start, is leaking a fluid or overheats rapidly, that should be in your favor (if you are looking for a total loss). Otherwise, consider it repairable (assuming frame is solid & not bent).

Again, I am sorry about your accident. Glad to hear you are safe.
Old 01-31-07, 03:22 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry to hear it man, use this opportunity to get an 07 GS350!
Old 01-31-07, 06:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDe680

actually it can help to be there. I met an adjuster recently because my wife scraped her minivan into another car parking. he did his thing and he was going to allow $ for the door to be repaired, not replace the skin. when I asked him about it and told him I was picky, he added the credit for a whole new door skin.

If I had to guess, there's a 50/50 chance of repair, ...........Otherwise, consider it repairable (assuming frame is solid & not bent).
no way, that car is totalled for sure. look how twisted it is.
Old 01-31-07, 06:42 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Being in a similar situation before, first, I am sorry for your loss. It's tough that's for sure. Luckily no one was injured.

The adjuster will come out, irregardless of you being there, and assess the cost of repair and the cost of parts. All of this information is from a computer and not entered manually, which why being there or mentioning how well you took care of your car won't matter. They have heard it all dozens of times...

If I had to guess, there's a 50/50 chance of repair, only unless they assess the amount of engine damage you have. If the engine won't start, is leaking a fluid or overheats rapidly, that should be in your favor (if you are looking for a total loss). Otherwise, consider it repairable (assuming frame is solid & not bent).

Again, I am sorry about your accident. Glad to hear you are safe.
I worked in an autobody shop for 15 years, That's where I heard it from. Your input alway's matter's. Yes, they put number's into a computer, but how much labor rate they allow, what type of part to be used (OEM, AFTERMARKET, USED), replacing a body panel rather than repairing it, and yes, condition of car all matter. The adjuster has the power to alter these number's. There are also things called supplement's, in case there estimate didn't quite cover what damage that was unseen once the repair process begins.
I have to agree with chuck on this one, It is more than likely totaled.
Old 02-01-07, 08:51 PM
chowder
Driver

small update:

I asked the insurer to notify me when the adjuster was going out. They didn't. I happened to call the day they were scheduling one to go out, and I asked to be notified about timing to meet the adjuster there. They didn't call. I then happened to call the body shop where the car resides when the adjuster was leaving, but didn't get to speak to him. I tried.

The call came back with their findings: visible repair estimate $15k+, declared total loss. The "nice" part was the phone agent commented on the condition (he was reviewing adjuster's photos), and noted the adjuster had written "showroom" to describe my leather.

One key part now is "appraising" what's left. If anyone can ballpark remaining-value to a 3rd party, it might help me know what the right decision is when it's settlement time (let the remains go, or not).

Other than the interior being basically untouched, I do remember the car was running still when I came to a stop. My radio was still tuned to the NFL game, the heat was still keeping me warm as I waited for first responders.

Thanks for any response.