GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

best way to clean your engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 11:59 AM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best way to clean your engine bay?

well when i bought my gs..the engine bay is alittle dirty,..so i want to clean it up to make it look as new as possible..what is the best way to do this? i heard some people used some sort of steam cleaner? but i would need to research that some more..any tips guys? its mainly dirty on the chassie inside the engine bay, not the engine itself.
Old 12-30-06, 12:35 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey LazyAlex, if you don't live up to your name and want to do it yourself then go to this site: http://www.properautocare.com/prencl.html they'll walk you through the process and recommend the products you should use. If you do take it somewhere to be done, then i've also heard that steam cleaning is the way to go... I believe that it's because it's vapors rather than a stream of water so probably helps in avoiding to get the electrical parts flushed with water. Hope that helps. Good Luck
Old 12-30-06, 01:28 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Lazyalex be careful when you clean your engine icleaned mine one time and it cost me over $200 bucks. I got some water on some electric parts and bam all kinds of lights were coming on.
Old 12-30-06, 01:58 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just use a damp micro fiber towel. no way I'll ever spray a hose under the hood unless it's on fire.
Old 12-30-06, 05:33 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

paint brush, damp cloth, simple clean, and armor all.

Here's what I do usually.

Paint brush to brush off all the dirt/sand in tight spots, mix some simple green in a bucket and just use a damp cloth to wipe everything down.. Dry it with a clean towel and use armor all on plastic pieces. (armor all will attract alot of dust so you would have to always wipe it down once in a while to keep it looking fresh)

Last edited by mikal; 12-30-06 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 09:30 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

The thought of water and the cleaning agent spilling on critical electric parts is enough to have a pro do it. So far The only cleaning that I've done under the hood is with a dry rag. Then again not too much dirt and dust pile up under there anyway but an occasional wipe down doesn't hurt.
Old 12-31-06, 01:27 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
I just use a damp micro fiber towel. no way I'll ever spray a hose under the hood unless it's on fire.
i'd spray water under my hood, but NOT when it's on fire... chemical fire + water = spreading chemical fire... electrical fire... maybe... but i'd still use a dry fire extinguisher (standard fire department equipment)

i use simple green diluted in a spray bottle to clean, and WD40 to dress up my engine compartment... works awesome...
Old 12-31-06, 02:48 AM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

thanks for all the good tips guys
Old 12-31-06, 11:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I've heard of using WD-40 but haven't tried it yet.. I've used this stean clean kit in can a few years back and it worked pretty good.. I haven't took a hose or anything to the GS yet.. I usually just wipe it down and use some tire shine or something to shine the plastic up.. GL
Old 12-31-06, 01:07 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I made the mistake of running water on my bay a few years ago and paid for it. I think a little soap and water on the sides real quick while she is running is ok. I guess poeple have their own tricks I just washed real good one time and basically do upkeep every couple times I drive her in order to keep it from getting real dirty..
Old 01-01-07, 11:50 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I just sprayed engine degreaser on the whole engine bay, then pressure washed it and then wiped the areas off or used compressed air to get the water out. Just don't direct the pressure spray into electrical areas directly. Indirect water contact is ok. I didn't have any problems whatsoever.
Old 01-01-07, 02:25 PM
Machog
Driver

Be careful using Simple Green, even diluted it is corrosive with Aluminum. Airforce used to use it to clean up helicopters, but found it was causing corrison. If you have to use it, make sure your completely rinse off with water.
Old 01-01-07, 04:02 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Default Now this might seem pretty lame..

But I had a very dirty engine compartment on my daily driver Mustang that I traded for my GS. I was getting it nice for the trade-in appraisal and took it to my local car wash (Waterpark) who did a engine cleaning for $30. It was very much worth the money. I'm sure if I had the same done on my GS, there would be other things I would do to detail the engine compartment after initial cleaning, but it really seemed worth the money for the Stang, and could be a good start for our cars?
Old 01-02-07, 11:44 AM
flashbang
Driver

first use a blower if you have one lol..gets all the dust out.use plastic bag to cover alternater and electric parts..
then start your engine and let it run
spray degreaser and let it sit for 5 minute and hose it down with pressure..
thats what they do in the dealership lol...
Old 01-02-07, 12:19 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple Green or any kind of Degreaser is what I use.....then start engine....and spray with water hose....DO NOT spray directly on electricals and air filter (for those with cone filter). Then I blast with air with my air compressor.

Pete

Quick Reply: best way to clean your engine bay?