GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Would you sell your GS430 for a Caddy CTS-V(400 hp 6 speed)?

Old 11-10-06, 08:49 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Would you sell your GS430 for a Caddy CTS-V(400 hp 6 speed)?

Man, a 400hp NA 6 speed sedan sure does sound tempting. Plus from what I've heard, there are many LS motor bolt on options so 12 and even 11 second quarter mile times are fairly easily obtainable. I love my car, but I'm craving something sportier with more hp...
Old 11-10-06, 08:54 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a SICK ride. I love the 2nd gen GS4, sold mine and now have an IS350. For sure the GS lacks performance and driving's fun factor. I took a look at the CTS-V and wow is it sweet. I just figured that I would save a little bit of money and get the 350, plus I think the caddy is a bit of an old man's hot rod and I'm only 26. But yeah I would trade a 2nd gen GS for a CTS-V anyday of the week.
Old 11-10-06, 09:34 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

chuck 1 word for you SUPERCHARGER !!!!!!! plus the cadallac stuff is made soo poorly trust me i know
Old 11-10-06, 10:06 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mailman dropped off a package at my house, but it should've been at my neighbor's place ... return address was Lingenfelter!!! Neighbor was driving a beautiful silver on black CTS-V at the time. Got repo'd. Oops!

I've read in the car mags that it's tranny and/or differential made loud, troubling noises. Diff (I think) was replaced, but started making the ugly noises again before their long-term was over. I question its reliability, so it's a "no go" for me.

The car I lust after is the V8 S4. Fast (not like the CTS-V) and luxurious; however, I won't buy a VW / Audi product with their documented reliability gaffes.
Old 11-10-06, 10:28 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
chuck 1 word for you SUPERCHARGER !!!!!!! plus the cadallac stuff is made soo poorly trust me i know
I strongly agree. I had the CTS for a rental (not the 400hp one) and I was shocked, gravely disappointed about the interior and how cheap it was made. I was like, this is what everybody has been raving about the Caddy? I thought the more money you spend the higher quality you're suppose to have. I guess to Cadillac 'Sporty' equates to 'Cheap materials' = no balance.

I'll take the 2nd gen GS and supercharge it. The CTS-V won't last long enough to get your moneys worth out of it. With those cheap materials, it won't be long until it breaks down.

Last edited by Lexizm; 11-10-06 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-10-06, 10:51 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
Man, a 400hp NA 6 speed sedan sure does sound tempting. Plus from what I've heard, there are many LS motor bolt on options so 12 and even 11 second quarter mile times are fairly easily obtainable. I love my car, but I'm craving something sportier with more hp...

Not crazy about the CTS styling but the STS-V is a badass car with 469 HP to boot.
Old 11-11-06, 12:12 AM
LexFather

I think its a fantastic car but
1. I cannot see myself in a "Caddy", image issue for me.
2. That interior is horrific in pics AND in person.

Is it a 4-door vette? Very much so. Manual, can be modded, really a great car.
Old 11-11-06, 12:58 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

no. GM Teh suck
Old 11-11-06, 01:48 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

i agree about the interior. the first time i sat in one, i thought it was disgusting. it looks cheap, like the cheap plastic they use in other cars. Kinda like that avalanche, the plastic around the bumpers makes it look cheap IMO. CTS-V sound very sexy but over all i think i lexus is much better. STick with lexus!!!
Old 11-11-06, 06:02 AM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with the masses on this one. I found the interior to be very cheap, and for the most part GM as a whole are not put together very well. The HP numbers are tempting but do you really want to sacrifice reliability for a 0.7 second advantage in the 0-60? I dropped my AMG a bought the GS for this very reason. Supercharge it !
Old 11-11-06, 06:05 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If all you care about is speed and the fun factor then go for it. It's not a good car as far as quality and engineering... I would rather have the GS430.
Old 11-11-06, 07:55 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDW91
If all you care about is speed and the fun factor then go for it. It's not a good car as far as quality and engineering... I would rather have the GS430.

Bingo. Out of the box it is a great "sounding" car. ridiculous motor, 6-speed tranny, agressive styling, damn good handling.

What you'll find though is a lower-class competitor overall (think SRT-4 being compared to an STi or EVO). Sure the power is there and it looks pretty good, but the interior doesn't really compare, and the build quality isn't as great. For the price tag, I'd go with a blower, a kick *** suspension and call it a day.

What you'll also miss is the spacious and methodical interior in comparrison to the bare-bones Chevy corsica looking interior in the CTS-V

Come on now, my neon R/T's interior was just as nice.

Toyota design+reliability+looks> Chevy 350. I love the damn LS1/2/6/7 Blocks, but I'd rather a car that gives me everything. If you looking for some speed, why not look into an LS1 camaro or T/A to get that muscle car fix? They are the same powertrain, look awesome, and can be found for relatively cheap. The amount of money you'd spend on modding the lexus and picking up an LS1 car would be less than the CTS-V and you could have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-11-06, 08:04 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

The LS-2 with a 6-speed is a sick combination.

I'd hate to have my local Pontiac dealer realize how many times I have test driven a 05-06 GTO. I just can't seem to give in to my primal urges for that kind of power.
Old 11-11-06, 08:45 AM
AW99GS400
Pole Position

All american car company doing is put in a big *** engine with tons of HP and call it a car ( vette , viper, srt8 , SS , hemi ). Not much technology or fit and finish involve dont u think ? Lexus/ Toyota will soon to be the #1 in the world
so why would i want to lower my standard and buy an american junk ? I work hard to earn my money i like to drive the best.
Old 11-11-06, 08:46 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The V's are sick! On the other hand, I had a cadillac for a short while and the quality is inferior. Youll most likely be dissapointed with the feel and the appearance of the cars design after driving a gs but the raw power is undeniable. The resale is terrible on those things, Ive seen them dirt cheap! Ohh yes Ive dreamed as well.

Once I was cruising at 70 mph on the beltline when I was passed by a slammed cts-v with exhaust and it sounded like a freakin nascar. I just cant get that image out of my head and that sound!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you sell your GS430 for a Caddy CTS-V(400 hp 6 speed)?