GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Windshield issue -- opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 05:26 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Windshield issue -- opinion needed

A few months ago, I cracked my original windshield. My insurance company wouldn't allow me to get a Lexus branded windshield, so I settled on PPG. The installer did an excellent job (no wind noise, leaks, etc.), but shortly after getting the new windshield, I realized that there was terrible distortion in the lower right hand portion of the windshield. Although it was out of my line of sight, I felt that I paid for and was entitled to a windshield without distortion. The windshield company agreed, and they came out yesterday to install a new one. The installer (who was the same guy who did the first one) asked me to inspect the windshield prior to installation to make sure it was acceptable. I took a look at it, but it was lying on a stand and it was virtually impossible to detect any distortion, so I told the installer that I would defer to him since he was the expert. He did ask that I take a close look in the area where the first windshield had distortion, which I did, but I didn't notice anything so we went ahead with the install.

Anyway, after he was done, he drove off and I drove the car into the garage. On the drive home yesterday, I noticed that the entire right side of the windshield is rippled with distortion. I would say that there are at least 4 vertical lines of distortion, each 8 inches or so, maybe 3 inches apart, spanning horizontally about 1 foot of the windshield (it's literally so wavy you could surf on it). Here's the interesting part, though. It's not a distraction when driving. It's there, and if you're looking for it, you can point it out to anyone, but I'm not sure it really affects driving. I had two of my colleagues in my car today, and they noticed the distortion immediately (granted, they were looking for it). I will say, though, that as with the first replacement windshield, the installer once again did a great job.

So here's the question. I'm almost at the end of my rope on this one, and there's a part of me that just wants to be done with this, but then there's another part of me that says "why stop now". Which of the following is my best option:

(1) Do nothing
(2) Call the windshield company and request yet another replacement PPG or other brand of windshield
(3) Call my insurance agent and demand that a Lexus glass be installed because the PPG glass is not of the same quality
(4) None of the above

I know everyone says that aftermarket PPG or Pilkington is the same as OEM, but, at least in my experience, it is not. My 7 year old original Toyota windshield, although pitted, specked and chipped, had absolutely no distortion anywhere.

So, what do you all think I should do? Thanks.

e
Old 09-28-06, 05:41 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well if it was me in this situation i would call my insurance company and explain all the problems your having with the defective windshields and demand a lexus winshield if they deny maybe they can work out some other arrangements to make you happy
Old 09-28-06, 06:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

sorry to hear it e. I'd have to say option 3 at this point. tell them it's ridiculous, this one is worse than the last, it's a safety issue, etc.

for what it's worth, my oem replacement windshield that says lexus in the corner has a very slight distortion on the passenger side. I can only notice it at a certain angle if I look for it, but it's there.
Old 09-28-06, 06:37 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
sorry to hear it e. I'd have to say option 3 at this point. tell them it's ridiculous, this one is worse than the last, it's a safety issue, etc.

for what it's worth, my oem replacement windshield that says lexus in the corner has a very slight distortion on the passenger side. I can only notice it at a certain angle if I look for it, but it's there.
Hey Chuck. I remember you mentioning that a while ago. Is the distortion on yours just in the corner?

Had I known this one would be so bad, I would have stuck with the first one. Although the distortion was bad with the first one, it was limited to the right hand corner of the windshield so it was out of the line of sight. With this one, the distortion is not as pronounced, but it is right in the middle of the passenger side of the windshield, and there are several lines of it, not just one.
Old 09-28-06, 06:57 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Advise and have your insurance agent or their appraiser visually inspect the replacement.

Insist on the Lexus replacement, since this was the original glass to be replaced, what was insured.

Your exactly right that you cannot correctly inspect the windshield while it in the rack awaiting installation. The installer knew that ... and baited his CYA.
Old 09-29-06, 06:05 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Chuck. I remember you mentioning that a while ago. Is the distortion on yours just in the corner?

I'll have to double check. remind me if I forget.
Old 09-29-06, 07:57 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

can u post a pic of what the distortion looks like?? im really interested in seeing what it is that you are talking about since ihave no clue

as for what u should do... demand an OEM one... obviously these guys cant get it right and IMO it is a hazard b/c what if you have to look through the right side of your wind shield to make a left turn on to on coming traffic, your view will be distorted... so time for a new one!!
Old 09-29-06, 08:12 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

alright e-mine has a couple of vertical lines about 1/3 of the way up on passenger side. it's slightly noticeable if I look at it from my side, otherwise you can't tell.
Old 09-29-06, 06:02 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
alright e-mine has a couple of vertical lines about 1/3 of the way up on passenger side. it's slightly noticeable if I look at it from my side, otherwise you can't tell.
Thanks Chuck. That pretty much describes what mine looks like, although I think mine is worse. As I was taking a closer look at it today, I noticed that the vertical lines actually continue almost to the mid point of the windshield. I would have to say that there are 5 or 6 of them. You definitely have to look for them to see them, but I know they're there, and I can say that I never, ever had any kind of distortion with the original glass in the car. I'm going to have the service manager at my dealership inspect the windshield on Tuesday, and then I'll call my agent. I'm done dealing with the windshield company. They gave it they're best shot (twice), and they came up short. I'm a little surprised that your replacement Lexus windshield has the ripples, but that's okay because no one will question it when it comes time to sell the car because it has the Lexus stamp on it. Mine, on the other hand, will be viewed as a cheap aftermarket replacement. I'm not intending to knock all of you out there with PPG windshields. I've heard nothing but good things about them. However, my experience tells me otherwise.

e
Old 09-30-06, 03:16 PM
e-man
Pole Position

I hear you VikingKing. I really do. And, under any other circumstances, I would say that you're right. Here's the thing, though. At this point, it's really a matter of principle between me and my insurance company. From the very beginning, I wanted a Lexus windshield installed at the dealership, and my insurance company would have nothing of it. They insisted that an aftermarket windshield was of the same quality as the OEM. Well, 2 windshields and about 5 months later, where am I? I had a crease appear down the middle of my roof (I think you chimed in on one of my previous threads about this), and I'm now on my second distorted windshield. Had my original request been honored (to install a Lexus windshield), would I have had to endure all this hassle? Probably not. I pay a lot of money in insurance premiums every 6 months (as we all do). I'm never late and I never question the premiums. Yet, when the time comes to pay out, these insurance companies will cut every corner to save a dime. And at whose expense? In this case, mine. I've already spent $500 to cover my comp deductible, and wasted way too much time, and I still have not been made whole. That's where I'm coming from.

And one other thing. About the same time I cracked my windshield, my mom cracked the windshield on her 03 LS430. She has Allstate, and they told her to get her windshield replaced and send them the bill. She went to the dealership, they put in a Lexus glass, and she submitted a $1,600 bill to Allstate. They paid every penny, no questions asked (less her $50 deductible).

e

Last edited by e-man; 09-30-06 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-01-06, 08:22 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not be what ou want to hear. I used to wear glasses. Each year that I got a new set I could see small distortions, over time the kind of went away. I have also noticed when I get into a new car for the first time I can see distortion in the windshields, but again over time they kind of go away.

I think your going to notice any difference in te glass till it's been in for a while. I just wanted to put this out cause you may notice some in the Lexus glass too.

I would probably contact my in company and tell them the situation, let them know I'm going to drive it for a little bit to see if it's tollerable. And if not I would want a Lexus glass at that time, seeing as that's what was in there.

Good luck, keep us updated.

-Bill
Old 10-01-06, 09:02 AM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you have glass coverage you should be able to replace the windshield with a Lexus OEM one. I thought insurance campanies only replace broken parts with OEM parts
Old 10-01-06, 09:59 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wdpower
This may not be what ou want to hear. I used to wear glasses. Each year that I got a new set I could see small distortions, over time the kind of went away. I have also noticed when I get into a new car for the first time I can see distortion in the windshields, but again over time they kind of go away.

I think your going to notice any difference in te glass till it's been in for a while. I just wanted to put this out cause you may notice some in the Lexus glass too.

I would probably contact my in company and tell them the situation, let them know I'm going to drive it for a little bit to see if it's tollerable. And if not I would want a Lexus glass at that time, seeing as that's what was in there.

Good luck, keep us updated.

-Bill
All good points, Bill. I wear glasses so I do know what you're talking about. The truth is that I probably could live with it, but I shouldn't have to. I've had several people in my car since the new windshield went in, and they've all noticed the distortion (granted, they knew my situation so they were looking for it). The entire right side of the glass is disorted. For the most part, obviously, when driving I'm looking straight ahead. But whenever I make a right turn, or look out the right side of the glass, I do notice it. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for everyone's advice.

e
Old 10-01-06, 10:26 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps an additional thought ...

If you find yourself irritated when an insurance claim wants to be settled "on the cheap", don't be surprised; prepare in advance.

Sit down with your agent. Ask and get answers in writing. If you cannot get it in writing, immediately move to a company that will. Then there are no questions as to a repair when or if you need to make a claim.

Many companies require a rider attached to the vehicle VIN, pre-deciding only OEM parts are to be used in the event of a claim. Most companies agents refrain from advising their customers this can be done, as it removes many of "their" firm's money saving "surprise" options up front. You need to specifically ask.

And the additional cost is very reasonable. (ours is less than $30 a year, for example)

One needs to insure the insurance company will provide what you pay for, in writing, attached to your comprehensive policy. This prevents an adjuster from specifying thin metal replacement body panels, scrap yard parts or the cheaper glass that is not up to Lexus specifications...