GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 99 GS300 is Over Heating....................

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 05:40 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
With AC on do both fans turn on?

Salim
Yes.

Also, the coolant was always changed by a dealer, so I'm not sure what kind of water they used.
Old 07-26-06, 07:02 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say I am really curious with this one...Don't rememer if this was asked already but was the water pump ever changed? When are you planning on taking it to the dealer?
Old 07-26-06, 07:18 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know how to properly purge air out of the system(bleed) when you change out the radiator fluid? as everyone is reading, air in the system can cause overheating.

let us know when you find out what's going on with your overheating problem.

this may be a good time to get the timing belt and waterpump changed out since it's been over 8 years.
Old 07-26-06, 09:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Also check for debris build up between the radiator and A/C condensor. An old thread here showed one GS owner who's looked like a bird's nest was between the two.
Old 07-26-06, 01:53 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Also check for debris build up between the radiator and A/C condensor. An old thread here showed one GS owner who's looked like a bird's nest was between the two.
BINGO! - We have a Winner! - RA40

Salimshah also mentioned cleaning the radiator, but stupid me - I was looking at the condensor! - I thought I was looking at the radiator. Getting at it was the hard part. I could only get my hose in there and spray it clean.

As soon as I looked in there, I knew that was my problem! - Here's the deal - I live in an area where there are hundreds of Cottonwood trees. When they seed in the spring they produce tiny little cotton seeds with a cotton fiber wisp attached. They are small enough to penetrate the condensor and get stuck on the front of the radiator. When I looked at the radiator, it was like a woven cloth of cotton fibers was covering up the entire front surface of the radiator.

Oh, and for anyone that does not know how to get at the front surface of the radiator (I did not - I had to search these forums for a while.) There are 2 clamps that hold the top of the radiator. I removed the Plastic Air intake first (1 bolt) and then removed the 2 nuts holding the clamps on the radiator. I was able to push the radiator back towards the engine about 2-3 inches - enough to get a hose in there. ) - There may be a better way, I but I could not see one.

Thanks for everyone's help and I hope this might help someone else that is having this same problem

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 07-26-06 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 03:59 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's good to know....i'm glad it was a relatively inexpensive fix....at least you now have a new thermostat!
Old 07-26-06, 07:06 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news, i'm happy for you
Old 07-27-06, 08:35 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is just unbeleivable. You know this is the first time I have ever seen anyone have a car oveheat because of this. I guess that cotten stuff can get in anywhere. Glad you fixed it.
Old 07-27-06, 08:39 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slickgt1
That is just unbeleivable. You know this is the first time I have ever seen anyone have a car oveheat because of this. I guess that cotten stuff can get in anywhere. Glad you fixed it.
Well, After some searching I found another one with pictures. Mine was not near this bad, but mine was probably more of a problem as the Cotton Fuzz covered the entire front of the radiator. This owner went through the same trouble shooting routine that I did, but I did not run across this thread in my original searches.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ensor+radiator

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 07-27-06 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 05:41 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Well, I thought I'd clean out my wife's ES300 as she probably has a lot of Cottonwood seeds in here radiator as well. I did post this over at the ES300 forum, but not as many folks over there. Got any idea how I would get at the Condensor/Radiator space on this 2003 ES300?

Name:  ES300.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  71.1 KB
Old 07-31-06, 06:03 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was an easy fix! Glad you got the problem solved.
Old 11-09-17, 08:03 PM
GSROMEO
Driver School Candidate

What's up my 99 Lexus Gs300 is overheating I replaced
water pump & timing belt
coolant temp sensor
thermostat from autozone thinking going OEM
REPLACED radiator fans work properly

currently blowing cold air, car doesn't hold antifreeze in Reservoir...always leaks
any antifreeze...my mechanic that replaced my waterpump is saying it's leaking underneath.
I also got another waterpump.

my biggest concern now is should I just do a motor swap, my car has 195k,
ive put a lot of $ thus far...

PLEASE HELP
Old 11-10-17, 01:13 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

11 years old, blast from the past! If its leaking out of the reservoir, replace it. Make sure the hoses are burped and there isn't any air in the system. How long has it been since the water pump and thermostat were replaced?
Old 04-24-18, 07:03 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
Most likely you have a problem with your thermostat....

Runing your car at high speeds with or without a/c get you at higher RPM's. Higher speed=higher engine temp. Thermostat reaching it's critical temp. must allow (by opening) for coolant flow thru radiator causing its temp. cool down and than return to engine block with lower temp.

Same thing in slow traffic....., thermostat being bearly open, there is no flow , no flow=no cooling
Running fans won't help coz there is not sufficient amount of hot coolant coming thru radiator. It might be just enough to activate fan sensor.

Bad thermostat is not always operating in it's full range, that means:
1.It may be stuck at fully open positon, allowing for constant cooling
2.It may be stuck at fully close position, (worst possible) causing overheating at any speeds, any wheater conditions....
3.It may work properly in lower temp. range but not respond at all at higher temp.

Diagnose:

Locate thermostat, if coolant piping coming out of engine right after thermostat is fairly hot or if you're able to hold it for few seconds while engine is overheating, that is a thermostat

I belive #3 is a right diagnose for your car, good luck finding problem
I'm having this problem with my GS400. How hard is it to replace the thermostat in this car?
Old 04-24-18, 08:44 AM
LEowner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSROMEO
What's up my 99 Lexus Gs300 is overheating I replaced
water pump & timing belt
coolant temp sensor
thermostat from autozone thinking going OEM
REPLACED radiator fans work properly

currently blowing cold air, car doesn't hold antifreeze in Reservoir...always leaks
any antifreeze...my mechanic that replaced my waterpump is saying it's leaking underneath.
I also got another waterpump.

my biggest concern now is should I just do a motor swap, my car has 195k,
ive put a lot of $ thus far...

PLEASE HELP
Recently i had same problem, engine was overheating. Changed thermostat but it didn't help. You don't need to look for other reasons: head gasket failure . Head was taken off and checked by mechanics under high pressure to insure there is no micro leakage in engine head, after that new gasket was installed, valves were regulated , new oils and etc. Payed like 1000 bucks for this, but now engine will run next 150 000 miles with no ( mechanical ) problems.

You invested a lot of money, so it's worth to change engine or change gasket. My mechanic is my almost friend and i saw how it's done... it's work only for professionals, each screw must be installed according manual and etc, proper chemistry used and so on. So good luck . It's nothing surprising about such a failure , car is almost 20 year old, gasket is weakest part in engine .