GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine Cover Painting. What color???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 03:19 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cover Painting. What color???

Ok guys, I have the desert sand mica (which I have not seen on this site yet) and am considering painting the engine cover. Right now I have the calipers a fire truck red but was thinking about getting the supra tt brakes and coloring them as well. I would like to keep both the calipers and the cover the same color. Ive thought of painting both the new calipers and cover either the the same color as the car, Fire Truck Red, Black or some crazy color like copper or something. Maybe white? I painted my grill glossy black with really pops. Any thoughts of colors? Im in a bind here. I usually know what i want and ask NO one BUT, since we are of the same breed I wouldnt mind some input. Ok...shoot away.
Old 07-06-06, 03:57 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default engine cover color?

I say bring the color of your body inside the engine bay area!
Old 07-06-06, 04:06 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Diddo!!! Matching color would be a nice compliment
Old 07-06-06, 04:07 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I dont completely get why you want the cover and your calipers to match, since I've seen many well-done GS's with two different color schemes outside vs under the hood. But if you are going for that look I would be safe and just do everything color-matched to your car. Always looks good to me.

MAny folks also color-match not just the engine cover, but also the fuse box cover, ECU cover, etc. If your gonna do it, why not do it all the way? Just a thought.

To give you an example, I hope Adrian (bluelex) doesnt mind if we borrow a pic real quick:

Old 07-06-06, 06:57 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drool whenever I see that pic!
Old 07-06-06, 07:35 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Wow I never saw that pic. BlueLex gives my car blueballs. See what I eventually wanted to do was get some new wheels like Ihave now but 3-piece. 8.5 in fronts and 9.5 or 10 in the back and paint the spokes the same color too. Do you think it'll pop with the same color calipers and spokes? I'm really liking that BlueLex setup. I should start by cleaning first right? I think that would bea start. Well maybe I will do just that. Maybe have a little black in the misc. grooves and what not to give it depth. I feel pooped on by that set. I keep on scrolling up to look at it.
Old 07-06-06, 07:48 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wringo

Exactly

Jonny
Old 07-06-06, 08:12 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Body Color!

Just like every body else, I favor the body color also. If you like, polish some of the engine parts too. Or some colored silicone hoses.
Here's what I did to mine.
Old 07-06-06, 09:52 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=TAMR_GUS98]Just like every body else, I favor the body color also. If you like, polish some of the engine parts too. Or some colored silicone hoses.
Here's what I did to mine.
[/QUOTE

I love the green engine cover combo'd with the SRT setup. Very original.
Old 07-06-06, 10:01 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
Wow I never saw that pic. BlueLex gives my car blueballs. See what I eventually wanted to do was get some new wheels like Ihave now but 3-piece. 8.5 in fronts and 9.5 or 10 in the back and paint the spokes the same color too. Do you think it'll pop with the same color calipers and spokes? I'm really liking that BlueLex setup. I should start by cleaning first right? I think that would bea start. Well maybe I will do just that. Maybe have a little black in the misc. grooves and what not to give it depth. I feel pooped on by that set. I keep on scrolling up to look at it.
ha ha .... I love Triumph!!!!

As far as the wheel/caliper colors go, personally I would just go with a nice silver wheel with either a brushed, polished, or painted face and a nice chrome lip......and then have the calipers color-matched to the car . Hot! But hey, thats just me. Dont think I've ever seen coloro-matched wheels and calipers before...not sure how good that would look.
Old 07-07-06, 09:28 AM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wringo
agreed

J
Old 07-08-06, 09:03 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

if you have 400, i would do two tone, since that cover is kinda large and would look good with sections of the body color and gunmetal,charcoal or black, red would look tacky ,just follow the creases on that cover and come up with a two tone scheme
Old 07-08-06, 12:30 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

What kind of prep work is needed to paint this? I know it should be roughed up and clean. Or does it need to be sanded smooth first?
Old 07-08-06, 10:02 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IAGS400
What kind of prep work is needed to paint this? I know it should be roughed up and clean. Or does it need to be sanded smooth first?
you will need a scotch-brite red scuff pad and Scuff-Stuff or Ajax just clean and scuff it good, rinse it off with water and let it dry, then spray adhesion promoter that is designed for plastics,most auto paint supply stores will have that in stock, or you can use Buldog or Bond-Aid in aerosol can ,even Wal-Mart has it,spray few medium coat followed by automotive grade base/clear paint of your choice
Old 07-11-06, 09:43 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go ahead and paint the engine cover your body colr with maybe leaving the center a graphte color since it is a big cover. That would looks nice than add some body color to some of the toher pieces like the ecu,fuse and suck covers to spread it around. Polishing or chroming also add a nice flare to the engine or you could CF some pieces for a different look. Lots of options just decide what before you start.

As for the wheels color matching would looks hot on that color I thinkn but if you could, try something different and only color match the inside of the spoke while leaving the face of the spokes and lips chrome. that look is so hot imo..Good luck man.