GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

getting closer to buying gs400

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 03:58 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting closer to buying gs400

I need some advice. I got a guy coming up from Dothan AL to buy my 99 Blazer for 4100.00.This was an eBay transaction and he wants to use pay pal. Now pay pal only protects up to 1000.00 bucks so that’s out of the question. He banks with USAA and has no banks close to him. How should I proceed in receiving the funds?

Need suggestions quick got to get gs400
Old 05-15-06, 04:10 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

If you want to be 100% safe, here's what you need to do:

Ask him to carry cash and meet him at your bank, and have him buy a cashier's check in front of you. Deposit it right away.

It doesn't sound legit to not have any banks near where he lives...for that amount of money, you definitely want to protect yourself completely.
Old 05-15-06, 04:36 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

I called Wachovia and they told me to just let the guy bring a personal check and verify funds before I deposit it. This will make sure I will get the funds. Also the rep advised me to get the bill of sale notarized and state on there that I will not send the title till funds are posted. Sound good?
Old 05-15-06, 05:38 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cashiers Check
Old 05-15-06, 06:45 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GUNRU-GS4
Cashiers Check
I guess you've been out of the loop for a while regarding scams...

Link
Old 05-15-06, 06:48 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexmenow
I called Wachovia and they told me to just let the guy bring a personal check and verify funds before I deposit it. This will make sure I will get the funds. Also the rep advised me to get the bill of sale notarized and state on there that I will not send the title till funds are posted. Sound good?
I think a stop payment can be issued on the personal check before the funds are yours.
Old 05-16-06, 12:23 AM
merchant26
Rookie

Ask for a Money Order or a Bank certified check.

Bank certified checks are considered less risky than personal bank checks. This is because certified checks have been pre-approved by their financial institutions to have the funds available to the payee. They are issued by the bank teller and signed after he or she finds that there are sufficient funds in the account to complete the transaction.

Indeed, a bank becomes liable for the amount of money on the certified check in the event of a fraud. However, most financial institutions will mark, stamp, and perforate each certified check to minimize the possibility of any fraud to take place. These actions will prevent copies and changes to be made to the check in the event that the check is lost or stolen.

Bank certified checks are often considered near-cash equivalents, meaning they are usually accepted anywhere cash is needed. They have a lesser possibility of getting bounced or being cancelled. They must be ordered in-person at the bank and can be drawn for hundreds to thousands of dollars. The banks themselves only charge a small fee of a few dollars to process and print the check
Old 05-16-06, 05:18 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

No Personal Check.....Cash Money in hand or a Cashiers check, or after you all exchange, go straight to the Bank.....That way its a peace of mind and no questions asked......OHH, hurry up
and get that 400
Old 05-16-06, 07:04 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No banks close to him??? Please. This is America. You can't go a block without bumping into one. I understand you really want to sell your car - but on his trip from Alabama to Georgia he isn't passing any banks?? Be smart about this and don't make any rash decisions.

Get cash and only cash. Hell drive him to his bank so he can withdraw cash. I would be wary of this cat.

Jonny
Old 05-16-06, 07:30 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
No banks close to him??? Please. This is America. You can't go a block without bumping into one. I understand you really want to sell your car - but on his trip from Alabama to Georgia he isn't passing any banks?? Be smart about this and don't make any rash decisions.

Get cash and only cash. Hell drive him to his bank so he can withdraw cash. I would be wary of this cat.

Jonny
Thanks I will call him.
Old 05-17-06, 10:23 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
If you want to be 100% safe, here's what you need to do:

Ask him to carry cash and meet him at your bank, and have him buy a cashier's check in front of you. Deposit it right away.

It doesn't sound legit to not have any banks near where he lives...for that amount of money, you definitely want to protect yourself completely.

USAA is a military financial institution. I bank with them. They are extremely reputable and one of the finer banking companies out there, however they do not have many actual brick and mortar locations so getting a cashier's check would be a bit more difficult for him. I would suggest that he deposit the check into your account and you wait for it to clear.
Old 05-18-06, 07:16 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LT. LEX
USAA is a military financial institution. I bank with them. They are extremely reputable and one of the finer banking companies out there, however they do not have many actual brick and mortar locations so getting a cashier's check would be a bit more difficult for him. I would suggest that he deposit the check into your account and you wait for it to clear.
Ok, let me clarify a bit - I shouldn't have said "meet at your bank to get a cashier's check". You don't need to be a bank customer to get a cashier's check from most banks. I started writing about having the buyer deposit cash straight into your account in front of you, then I erased that part and changed it to a cashier's check.

You can meet at any bank to buy a cashier's check...my main point was that the cashier's check be purchased right in front of you so that you know it's real. With the counterfeit casheirs checks that people can create nowadays, I wouldn't want to accept a cashier's check unless I saw the bank issue it with my own eyes.
Old 05-18-06, 07:22 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you what you will but keep the title if you feel wary until everything clears. If something goes wrong Im not far from Dothan and I can take the tool up there to settle it if necessary.
Old 05-18-06, 08:43 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Do you what you will but keep the title if you feel wary until everything clears. If something goes wrong Im not far from Dothan and I can take the tool up there to settle it if necessary.
The car is sold got the funds
Old 05-18-06, 08:52 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Da tool? I didn't no he had a flat Congrats on the transaction

Quick Reply: getting closer to buying gs400