GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

real quick headlight question for oem and non oem HID gs owners.. help!

Old 04-11-06, 12:59 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default real quick headlight question for oem and non oem HID gs owners.. help!

hey guys, im just about to pick up a set of housings to replace the ones i have now off my 98 which are fogging like crazy. i know its a gamble as to whether or not they will fog, but im going to give it a shot...a few questions

- if these are the green tinted oem HID housings whats the OLDEST gs they could be from 01, 02? i know mine arent oem hid, but they arent tinted either, im just curious about what year car im buying from and when they started coming with the green tint..

- next, since this is the oem hid housing ONLY and does not include bulbs or balasts.. can i use these housings plug and play with my NON oem hid GS and my xenondepot HID kit that i have installed on my own housings right now? im just trying to make sure everything will fit good before i send the payment over... also dont want there to be extra holes open or anything since ill be using my hid kit and not an oem hid setup...i know nothing about the oem hid lights so im clueless as to what will be left "open" persay since they dont come with ballasts, etc...
Old 04-11-06, 01:13 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey first of all no you cannot use your current xenon depot kit with oem hid housings because oem hid housings take d2r bulbs, yours are 9006 based. Second of all the green tint was first used on 01+ cars. Only because the hid lights were from a newer vehicle does not mean that they will not fog up, fogging of the headlights happens when the moisture absobtion sponges become worn out and that can happen fast in very humid areas. You dont have to get hid housings just to get rid of the fogging in your headlights, you have to take your headlights of and remove each of the vent ports, then you have to remove all the sponges and I'm not sure if lexus sells them ( they should ) but if they dont then you can replace those sponges with similar sponge material. The reason why headlights fog up is when the temperature inside gets high that creates a vacume. Any moisture will be sucked in. The headlights have 1 vent port on top and 2 on the bottom to create a recirculating affect, so in essense anyone who has fogging up issues only has to change the absorbtion sponges and the problem will be fixed. If you are planning on getting the hid oem housings anyway then remember you will have to buy the rear caps from lexus to cover the low beam and the bottom where the oem ballast where there is round hole there which would need to be plugged if you dont use oem gs ballast. Any more questions feel free to pm me.
Old 04-11-06, 01:21 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vicestan
Hey first of all no you cannot use your current xenon depot kit with oem hid housings because oem hid housings take d2r bulbs, yours are 9006 based. Second of all the green tint was first used on 01+ cars. Only because the hid lights were from a newer vehicle does not mean that they will not fog up, fogging of the headlights happens when the moisture absobtion sponges become worn out and that can happen fast in very humid areas. You dont have to get hid housings just to get rid of the fogging in your headlights, you have to take your headlights of and remove each of the vent ports, then you have to remove all the sponges and I'm not sure if lexus sells them ( they should ) but if they dont then you can replace those sponges with similar sponge material. The reason why headlights fog up is when the temperature inside gets high that creates a vacume. Any moisture will be sucked in. The headlights have 1 vent port on top and 2 on the bottom to create a recirculating affect, so in essense anyone who has fogging up issues only has to change the absorbtion sponges and the problem will be fixed. If you are planning on getting the hid oem housings anyway then remember you will have to buy the rear caps from lexus to cover the low beam and the bottom where the oem ballast where there is round hole there which would need to be plugged if you dont use oem gs ballast. Any more questions feel free to pm me.
nah man, now that you said that, im going to stick with looking for a set of NON hid green tint housings..i dont want to deal with all that..

PS i tried your trick a few weeks ago (removing the sponges and using almost identical type of sponge material in its place) and the headlight i had a problem with is TEN times worse..i kept the old sponges, the stock ones, and they look off white yellow in color but its not like they are DIRTY or anything...i even went as far as to experiment by putting myself out to do MORE work down the line..i left the stock sponges in the passenger side headlight and only switched the driverside ones to see which would end up worse..and they are both still just as bad..if not worse then before......so i dont know whats up ...and theres been so much condensation in all the headlights that they are basically hazed out on the inside beyond repair...pretty **** ant situation considering i just put these big *** axis milano wheels on my car which look beautiful, then i have these totally fogged up obnoxious headlights to set off my ghetto fabulous look...help me out somebody i am PISSSSED..
Old 04-11-06, 01:25 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vicestan
also bro- i wasnt tryin to buy "HID" housings to fix the problem..i saw a set of green tinted available and i wanted a new set, and i was just hoping they would work with my non oem hid kit because i couldnt find any other ones for sale... check ur pm pls
Old 04-11-06, 01:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Though I do not have moisture problems, many people I know have put these in their headlights somewhere and it helps with condensation.

http://www.hidplanet.com/silica.html

For the price, why not? I know when I took out the headlights of an Acura TSX, they had similar things in there.
Old 04-11-06, 01:46 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Though I do not have moisture problems, many people I know have put these in their headlights somewhere and it helps with condensation.

http://www.hidplanet.com/silica.html

For the price, why not? I know when I took out the headlights of an Acura TSX, they had similar things in there.

you know a few guys actually said that same thing, maybe ill give that a shot and tuck a few under the chrome housing part of them.. thanks def worth atleast a shot for the price.
Old 04-11-06, 02:07 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Those silica gell packs can do the trick sometimes but they have to be really large, or alot of those small once, acura tsx hid headlights have huge silica packs inside but if your headlights already ahve moisture inside then this wont fix the problem and these packs have to be replaced since they store the water inside.
Old 04-11-06, 03:52 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a small problem with condensation on the left headlight when I first bought mine and I live in AL where its almost 100% humidity all the time. I simply removed each bulb and pointed a hair dryer through the hole for about 15 minutes and it fixed the problem. And for some strange reason, although Im not complaining, the water has NEVER returned.
Old 04-11-06, 04:47 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Yea because you had water build up in there already, some headlights have alot of water and using a hair dryer would take ages.
Old 04-11-06, 10:36 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

so vice, if i were to buy a set of the oem hids with everything..would these plug and play with my stock 98 non hid wiring?....if not, id really rather a set of the non hid green tint housings..i already have the hid kit from XD anyway...
Old 04-12-06, 01:01 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
so vice, if i were to buy a set of the oem hids with everything..would these plug and play with my stock 98 non hid wiring?....if not, id really rather a set of the non hid green tint housings..i already have the hid kit from XD anyway...
Not plug and play. Some simple splicing is needed. Others have done this and I have not heard of problems.