GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installation Question for retrofit q45

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 09:08 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installation Question for retrofit q45

Hey everyone,

Justy got my headlights today im planning to put them on today but im not sure how to lol. Does anyone know whether the hid is plugged direactly the headlight outlet, or does it plug to the (main) yellow outlet. How do i install the halos? Is it connect to the little high beam?

Any tips would be great, I'll snap some pics as soon i install them. Thanks

Mike
Old 03-18-06, 01:06 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ehh, you do realize you need an HID ballast correct? It wont light up if you plug the HID bulb into the 12v socket of the car. If your car did not originally come with HID's then you will need a set of ballasts. A used good set usually runs about $150-200 on ebay.

As for the Halo's, yo need to wire that in with your sidemarkers or the little DRL bulb in the headlight housing. In both cases, you will need to splice and solder the wires.

Also, to install those headlights, you will need to remove your front bumper. Trust me the bumper is the hardest task! Use the search and look for BananaGS diy and it should bring up a link to his website. Theres a section in there that shows you how to pull off the frong bumper.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-06, 02:33 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

the ballast is the square box correrct? under the headlights? if thats the ballast, then yup i have it. Which outlet do i plug into the ballast? Thanks for your input! its been great help so far
Old 03-21-06, 05:43 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Have you figured this out yet?

If not, then tell me what the box is like. Is it an aftermarket one or is it a OEM Toyota/Lexus unit. The way to tell is to check the label. If theres Japanese writing and says Koito, Toyota, or Lexus....then you have an OEM unit. If not then it's aftermarket.

I am assuming your car did not come with HID from the factory. So instructions written as such.
Most aftermarket ballast will plug directly into the 9006 connector. It will work, but I highly recommend adding a relay into the circuit to lighten the start-up load on the stock wiring.

If it is an OEM unit, then you may need to splice up a few wires and get a connector that will plug into the 9006 plug. Also in this case, I will still recommend running a relay.

If you have it installed already, then just ignore this. If it's not installed yet then feel free to ask any other questions out have.

Good Luck!
Old 03-21-06, 06:33 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Have you figured this out yet?

If not, then tell me what the box is like. Is it an aftermarket one or is it a OEM Toyota/Lexus unit. The way to tell is to check the label. If theres Japanese writing and says Koito, Toyota, or Lexus....then you have an OEM unit. If not then it's aftermarket.

I am assuming your car did not come with HID from the factory. So instructions written as such.
Most aftermarket ballast will plug directly into the 9006 connector. It will work, but I highly recommend adding a relay into the circuit to lighten the start-up load on the stock wiring.

If it is an OEM unit, then you may need to splice up a few wires and get a connector that will plug into the 9006 plug. Also in this case, I will still recommend running a relay.

If you have it installed already, then just ignore this. If it's not installed yet then feel free to ask any other questions out have.

Good Luck!
Hey jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to help me up, yup, i believe its an after marker ballast. I found out the problem. The reason why the bulb flickers and turns off is because the hid bulb is cracked I think thats the problem lol. Where would i be able to purchase this relay? lexus deal? I do have have a few more question if you dont mind helping me

1. when i got my retrofit, i also told the guy to install the halos. I solder the the halos to the parking lights but it doesnt seem to work, would you have any idea why this isnt working? I was thinking maybe it has to do somthing with the halo "box" cause i did all the testing to see if the electricy was running through the wires. Could i have blown the box or the halo itself?

also do i also made a mistake of not looking at the levels before taking of the headlights. do you know how i can adjust the level and whats the degree it should be set at? I really apreciate you helping me jeff!

Mike
Old 03-21-06, 08:55 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

word of advice, if you can't spell "electricity" correctly, you shouldn't be messing around with it

Last edited by UptownGS; 03-22-06 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-22-06, 10:10 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UptownGS
word of advice, if you can't spell "electricity" correctly, you should be messing around with it
I think you mean shouldn't lol
Old 03-22-06, 10:26 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only word of advice... you cant really figure out what to do until you open your GS headlight
Old 03-27-06, 02:37 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garbage85
Hey jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to help me up, yup, i believe its an after marker ballast. I found out the problem. The reason why the bulb flickers and turns off is because the hid bulb is cracked I think thats the problem lol. Where would i be able to purchase this relay? lexus deal? I do have have a few more question if you dont mind helping me

1. when i got my retrofit, i also told the guy to install the halos. I solder the the halos to the parking lights but it doesnt seem to work, would you have any idea why this isnt working? I was thinking maybe it has to do somthing with the halo "box" cause i did all the testing to see if the electricy was running through the wires. Could i have blown the box or the halo itself?

also do i also made a mistake of not looking at the levels before taking of the headlights. do you know how i can adjust the level and whats the degree it should be set at? I really apreciate you helping me jeff!

Mike
Yep, a cracked bulb usually will have a problem . It also depends where its cracked. If the insulator rod on the ground wire is broken...the light will still work but may not last long or will be intermittent. If the bulb is smashed, obvioulsy it wont work at all. Replacement bulbs can be found on ebay for cheap. Just search HID 9006 bulb, it should run about 80-100 for a pair. You will need to buy in a pair because you want the color to match. The aftermarket manufacturers don't have very tight control over bulb quality. So even though it says 6000k or 8000k....the color will never match to the current bulb you have. Some really bad manufactuers with horrible QC have mismatched color in the same pair of bulbs!

With your halo's. If you have the CCFL ones, which is what I'm assuming because you said theres a "halo box", its actually called an inverter . If you just plug the CCFL to the battery without the inverter, it will not light up. The inverter converts the 12VDC from the car to around 500VAC. The inverter is usually a cheap POS and is easily damaged. If you plugged it in the wrong way then its time to buy a new set. Good thing because they are cheap. Less than $5 each. The second problem with the actual CCFL halo rings is that they are extremely fragile. Look inside the housing. If there is any crack at all on the rings, then they are toast.

As for the levels...its useless after a retrofit. When you install projectors, the alignment is usually completely different from the stock focus point. For aiming, you will need to do it manually. Just drive up to a wall and aim your lights that way. There is a 8mm bolt on the back of the housing on the low beam side that can be used to adjust the height of the cutoff. I'm not sure what the spec is. I just aimed it, about the same height as my headlights are on the car. Then I went driving around to see how it was. If it wasn't good enough....I go back to the wall and readjust.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 03-27-06, 02:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Replacement bulbs can be found on ebay for cheap. Just search HID 9006 bulb, it should run about 80-100 for a pair.
If the title is correct, he did a Q45 retrofit so he'd need a D2S bulb instead of one that will work with 9006 fitment.
Old 03-27-06, 11:12 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
If the title is correct, he did a Q45 retrofit so he'd need a D2S bulb instead of one that will work with 9006 fitment.
Whoops, my mistake. You should of done a search for "D2S HID Bulb". Mike messaged me and said the seller is sending him a new pair of bulbs...I think that should fix his problems.

Mike, did you get the inverter or halo's to work?