GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car not shifting from paRK??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 01:25 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by prvtjet
Many thanks to Takashi and others for the great detailed posts. It really helped me disassemble and reassemble everything quickly.
Here's the catch. My 99' GS400 still has a shift lock problem that won't let me move out of park unless I jam a screwdriver in the release slot. My rear tail lights work fine. At first I thought it was the solenoid, so I ordered and replaced the ENTIRE shifter assembly (from a 2001 GS300). The assembly was used but am assuming it functions. I am now really puzzled. I don't hear the "click" when I step on the brake. Is there some other switch between the brake pedal and the harness that runs to the solenoid???
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.........
First, Do you check your fuse 15Am on the driver side kick panel.

Second, As you mentioned it, the car have a other switch behind on the brake pedal. Check that switch as well.

Third, If you do all this previews check that I say to you, is definitely, the assembly that not work correctly. Is bad
Old 06-07-16, 06:31 PM
prvtjet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked all the fuses under hood and on driver's side. They are all good. I bought a new stop lamp switch from Oreilly's and it solved the problem. But.........the next morning the car would again not shift out of park. I returned the switch to Oreilly's. I am thinking about buying the OEM switch from a dealership. I am out of ideas....it has got to be that switch. Any thoughts?? Thanks
Old 06-07-16, 10:36 PM
BlKTC
Driver

Originally Posted by prvtjet
I have checked all the fuses under hood and on driver's side. They are all good. I bought a new stop lamp switch from Oreilly's and it solved the problem. But.........the next morning the car would again not shift out of park. I returned the switch to Oreilly's. I am thinking about buying the OEM switch from a dealership. I am out of ideas....it has got to be that switch. Any thoughts?? Thanks
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...placement.html

same thing happened to me.. Switched out the shift lock solenoid and everything works perfect again.
Old 01-12-17, 08:47 AM
Techron
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to bump this old thread, but...... girlfriends car has been having the VSC ABS lights and shifter intermittently locking in park. I checked the brake lights and they seemed to be working, so I figured it was a fuse or the sub assembly. So I took out the multi meter and went through every damn fuse in that car (2002 LS 430) and everything was fine. I really must say I hate the fuse panel locations. I was like reverse 69ing the dashboard, with my feet over the headrest just to check the damn fuses. Anyways. figured maybe check the actual brake fluid, but everything was okay. So I started pulling the console apart, but for some reason, I started the car and I noticed the brake warning light flash. So I checked the brake lights again and I could see they would go on and then go off. If I pressed kinda soft they would go on and stay on and I could shift, If I mashed the pedal nothing. So thanks to this thread I'll be replacing the brake light switch.

Lexus wanted $170 to diagnose and like $350 to replace it. I told her to just wait. I was hoping to get her car to my house where my tools are, but I don't think I want her driving without brake lights. I really can't believe Lexus hasn't made a recall on all Lexus models. I saw one for the RX models, but Jesus. How there isn't a huge lawsuit for faulty switches is beyond me.

Also just wanted to say thanks. I've lurked on here a while, fixing random crap on her car. You guys have a good community. I familiar with the VW, MINI, and various motorcycle forums, and I have to say you guys are top notch. Thanks for al the help and I'll be back the next time something brakes. Get it BRAKES? Okay Techron out!!

Last edited by Techron; 01-12-17 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-13-21, 02:27 AM
Shivvy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kretek234
Yes I did the same, I've been searching the write up about this problem, can't find one, about how to replace the comp sub Assy.
What happen with the rest of the member that has the same problem like us? Are they take it to the dealer or just keep inserting screw driver to the override slot.
Lol inserting a screw driver because the dealership will cost $$$ lol